Single vs Multiple HDD partitions

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

DaTeL

=]DoG[=Food
Oct 23, 2002
Holland
Quick question...

Out of performance considerations.. are there advantages for either a single or multiple Segments on one physical HDD?
I'm installing a fresh Windows (7) and would like to know :P

I'd prefer a single partition just so I don't have to worry about 1 being full and the other un-used (as it is now :rofl:), but obviously if it's faster when split, then I'd do it that way

advice is welcome! :)

On Windows it doesn't matter at all .... if you defrag your hard disk every morning. Otherwise it does. Partitioning your drive is just a way to limit the amount of fragmentation, also some people think it looks neater.

Another +1 for linux and ext4, no defrag required. :)

i always partition mine to 10GB for winXP and programs :D
(8GB on my laptop even :D)

but the most basic and good idea really is to have OS and programs on one partition and the pure "data" (and games if you like) on another. i think it might even be a good idea to have

partition 1 - OS
partition 2 - programs/games
partition 3 - data

Just do the universal fix-all. Format and reinstall. (there are also some programs that will resize partitions for you, google them, not sure there will be any free ones, but you could use a linux livecd probably).

Honestly, 1 disk/partition for OS + programs etc.
Then buy an SSD disk and install your games on that for best performance.

@ tut: true. not sure the little speedrun freak is talking about a laptop though?

@ datel: to resize partitions you can use the
- "gparted live cd" (linux based) or
- "partition magic" (windows program, that lets you choose what to do in windows itself and then executes that after a reboot before windows is "loaded" [when necessary])

--> in both cases, if you do that stuff: backup your data. all of it...
those tools are great and do a good job. i used them successfully very often. but both(!) did (once each) cause a data loss... might have been my mistake or some problem with the HDDs... not sure.
--> edit: just found this http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-1391-free-alternative-to-partition-magic

but you are right about the partition becoming too small at some point, of course. i also hit the problem :D but tbh... at some point you have everything installed, right? only the data gets more and more. this is why your data-partition is the biggest one anyway. in my case i hit the limit, because I installed more RAM and suddenly needed a lot more space of the hibernation and page file (winXP). but even those can (both?) be placed off the primary partition i think (but, yes, this might hurt the performance a bit, if you are using a conventional HDD where the inner part is the fastest in terms of access times I think).
so imo you should be fine with say 20GB for the OS, another 30GB for programs and the rest for data. or if you prefer 50GB for OS and programs (I am still using the same partition for OS and programs myself!). I suggested splitting that in two, because half of the "programms"/"tools" I use personally are portable or do work from a backup of a once installed folder. thus no need to re-install them at any time, which saves a lot of effort whenever you setup a fresh OS. as i said i am not doing it that way atm, but once i get my new laptop and/or PC i will.

okay last thing i wanna say:
if you got around to partitioning, then you should do create backups of your OS partition every now and then (whenever you think it is necessary). this is very easy and free with http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm .
btw as my primary partitions are so small i can fit my whole-OS-partition backups on one DVD :P. have it ;)

If you've some money left, get a SSD. IT doesnt make any big difference how many or how big the partitions of a normal HDD are.
The performance difference between the fastest HDD and SSD is - on the other hand - very noticeable.
Ontop of that it's QUIET!!!!

@tut: SSD for gaming? you have to be kidding.
SSDs should be used as system disk and not as stupid gaming disk.

Last edited:
SSD as Gaming disk is also good Bart. In Age of Conan my loading times are halfed .
I Have 2 , one for System , one for Games .

But bart is right if u have the money for 1 , buy it and use it as System disk !

Always make different partition for system and data. Exept if u got a 40gb drive, then use it for system and get an other for the data.

If u got a 500 Gb hdd i would suggest u to make even more partitions. I got 5 myself on mine and i like it that way. It's easier to format/defrag, it also makes things faster when u got application that use temp file in a disk, and finished files on an other one (ie : dl accelerators, newsgrabbers, etc).

And as it's been said, u can resize partition with tools like "partition magic" if needed.

hmm ok... what if later on my Windows/Apps drive turns out to be too small? :/

Not read whole thread mate but you can always merge drives at a later date, it will most likely involve moving some data but no hardship there.

Personally I have two physical drives, one for the OS and another for data, making 11 partitions in all, non raid.

Raid may be something you might need to consider too though, just dont ask me ;)