District 9

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Well id say its a nice movie to watch it on dvd but not worth to go to the cinema.
i actually liked the way how they filmed it and the idea of that story was excelent tbh but they didnt use the potential of it.
it wont enter my "must see" list.

A most unusual film. Not the best film ever released by a long way but an interesting flik if you have the time to spare.

Last edited:
well Bart and the other guys complaining about a "flat" story, you basically sum up the story in one or two sentences - hey, if you look closely, you can do that with *any* movie. that doesn't make it flat or anything, really.

I think what is most impressive about this movie is the real-life look&feel, achieved with the documentary-style elements (most of it at the beginning) and the alien CGI fitting absolutely seamlessly into the real world, no Transformers or Die Hard 4 fake-looking shiny metal stuff. (compare the budgets of 30 mio $ for this vs the 150+mio for both the others mentioned, btw) it's a sci-fi film with a down-to-earth feel to it that hasnt been seen in recent movies of this genre, that's the point of all the good reviews I'd say. The political sub-context is obvious too but that's not the main thing to praise.
The only big flaw I'd warn people about is that it asks you to accept quite a lot of stuff as just given things,
basically that the aliens just dropped there and haven't bothered doing anything about it; or that none of them care to use the weapons they have. Also in the end it's just a little bit too much of a silly shoot-out, where you would think the MNU would just wipe the floor with them using their army of some sort to basically level the place. The way it's ended, I think there will most likely be a sequel, which can go quite a few ways. Plus I give the main actor a lot of credit, the transformation of his character is really conveyed believably and it's probably been a good risk to put the film on his shoulders alone really. we're gonna see more of him soon I think.

I'd give a good 8/10 and recommend to see it in cinemas; a screener or whatever you use is really just a disgrace to any movie, especially of this genre.

Last edited:
Liked it alot! Cant understand how any studio can turn down this director (Bloomkamp) with Peter Jackson as producer for the Halo film, cus they did a damn good job on this one :)

on a sidenote, the audio was "wobblin" throughout the whole film, I guess something happened with that print the cinema had, but when we reported it to the staff and on mail, they claimed "it was part of the documentry style of the film"..... and we didnt get any extra tickets or anything that you normally get if you complain....... fookin dumbasses

Watched it yesterday (im not newest movies whore tho), and imo it is worth of watching couse of special effects and some funny scenes, for example launched pig

Just finished the movie, and i liked it A LOT!
Finally a total new story (at least for me) with aliens in it.
I liked it from start to end... 9/10 imo