Seems to me the UTAssault League is not dead

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushashi

[ADC] {SUYM} -=E[o]S=- *bwd* [DWAP]
Jan 22, 2002
Denmark

Remember for how long many members have been here?
When you've participated in things for a long time you often just get 'invisible' or quiet. But you're still there.
You may even play other games, but you still return to your first real online action game, for nostalgics or because you feel it is bit like a home on the net.
There are lots of players that stays in the background, also lots who keeps turning back.

What we can do to keep it going is getting rid of the 'I CBA' syndrom when you meet new players connecting to the public servers.
I know it can be boring, but try to help them out and show them how the game works. Play with them. Invite them to practise 'new tricks' and let them see the aspects of the game.
But first of all: Make friends with them. That means you should stop flaming, teamkill and try active to prevent these things to happen on the servers. Balance teams. Try to help solve problems and misunderstandings.
If you're up against a bunch of newcomers: DON'T SHOW OFF by powning them - give them a chance to win (and even let them regularly).
When you meet nice people you feel good.

I think this league will survive longer than expected.

Mush

"The league is dying syndrome" has been around since the ancient times (as far as I can remember 2002) when the league was still faced it brightens time. I didn't use the search function in order to evaluate how many times our bad leagueprophets have foreseen it's end but it must have been at least 10 times.

In my opinion those prophets didn't forseen uta.net's end, but wished the league to come to it's end.

Although many people have put uncountable hours of work and true dedication in building up and maintaining this community (thanks by the way) they were unsuccessful at a very important point: integrating the community in all it's decision process. Due to this lack starting with Phear over to CS all administrators failed at adapt the league rules to player's need. Maintaining a community doesn't mean just to run it, but also means to facilitate it's development which was made impossible due to this lack of integration of the community.

I've seen a lot of people with great ideas for this community to become more attractive, I've seen a lot of effort offered from dedicated players and I've seen a lot of "skillpower" which could have been used. But those people remained unheard.

Sad.

My PR contract in Czech Republic is finishing soon (end of September)

So add my name to the Dead players area please.
Since 2005 or was it 4 :x cannot recall I don't play AS but in October i will be back missing playing this game so i will give it a go.

Old fart coming back to help killing this once and for all :P

Spending thousands of hours to make things better and only taking shit from community is sad. Best example would be Cratos who did outstanding work and what he gets? Retarded jokes and stupid comments about him. How can you expect more if that's the way community thanks him? There are retards that can't do nothing on their own but will use every lame opportunity to make stupid comments. Sad? Yeah it is.

To make thing simply i asked clan leaders several times to join something called "Clan representatives". You have no idea how hard for most of them was clicking one bloody button in their CP's to join this forum group.
We voted some of ideas there with very low interest from their side.

Another thing. I can't even say how many times we called for help with coding stuff. Ppl asking questions and for help with their private stuff here on forums but somehow none of them came and said "hey, i'll help you guys".
I joined dev team few years ago and guess what! I was the last one ... about 3 or 4 years ago! If you're saying that we failed and our work was for nothing then you should know that we also got families, real life friends and jobs. We already spent way too much time here just to get shit in return.

Last edited:
Personally I had a lot of fun in this league and I started to play less matches when I got interested more in another videogame. When then finally I got this error (which I still have now) like 2 years ago, I was unable to play any match anymore because I crashed on connecting. Then I totally quit.

Like 2 months ago I wanted to come back and joined two clans, just to find out I still have this bug and still cannot play matches (and there seems to be no cure).

Today I decided to read a bit on these forums and boy oh boy there is a big difference between 2 years ago and now.

I see loads of threads about how this league is going downhill and how this and that guy are against the admins and blablabla. Seriously stop the bullcrap imo. Admins have not always been there when you needed them, but sure did they keep this league going for all those years and sure did they spent so many of their own precious time in making this league more enjoyable for everyone.

And really yes, all these doomthinkers needa go poop their pants or something, the league will not die when you just shuddup bout it and play and have fun! The league has been here for almost 10 years now and it will be there for at least another 5 years.
The league will last as long as people have fun, so just shuddup with all the cry threads and go kill some people in game!

If you're up against a bunch of newcomers: DON'T SHOW OFF by powning them
well that's idd sad and prolly a big problem.
Some "pr0s" play UT since years and still try to own noobs on DoG standard to boost their ego or stats. (hi Opium :wave: )

I know it can be boring, but try to help them out and show them how the game works. Play with them
Well asif that will help much. Years ago i did that.
Even said that they should visit utassault.net when they are interested in Assault, but most never appeared or went afk very soon. So at some point it's pointless.

And where do you find "fresh meat" nowadays? Exceptional on DoG standard, where utassault.net is alrdy mentioned.
Maybe some beginners guide for AS-newcomers (with basic tricks and tactics) would be a good idea....but guss it's way too late for that.

Spending thousands of hours to make things better and only taking shit from community is sad. Best example would be Cratos who did outstanding work and what he gets? Retarded jokes and stupid comments about him. How can you expect more if that's the way community thanks him? There are retards that can't do nothing on their own but will use every lame opportunity to make stupid comments. Sad? Yeah it is.

This is a gaming internet forum.
If you lads expect rewards, hailing or even just simple respect, that's the wrong place. Sad, but true.
Well, noone holds a pistole on your heads and forces you guys to do all teh great work you did for this community.
So if it is too much, step down and let the community dstruggle. if the league (and it's members) are worth it, some others will step up and keep it running. If noones moves then the whole community is dead and pointless anyway.

Another thing. I can't even say how many times we called for help with coding stuff. Ppl asking questions and for help with their private stuff here on forums but somehow none of them came and said "hey, i'll help you guys".
I joined dev team few years ago and guess what! I was the last one ... about 3 or 4 years ago! If you're saying that we failed and our work was for nothing then you should know that we also got families, real life friends and jobs.
Cheap comparision. It's not that you seek guys to do simple stuff like moderating forums or restarting servers.
You seek guys which are good at coding (PHP and/or MySQL). And this requirement limiting possible candidates pretty much, because the usual "Hello World" coding skills aint seeked.
Overall it's not that so many guys are just lazy bums or dont wanna spent time helping, it's more that they simply have no clue about that stuff.
So confronting those Naggers with the lack of help from their side isnt valid. Although it's understandable from your POV

Last edited:
What we can do to keep it going is getting rid of the 'I CBA' syndrom when you meet new players connecting to the public servers.
I know it can be boring, but try to help them out and show them how the game works. Play with them. Invite them to practise 'new tricks' and let them see the aspects of the game.
But first of all: Make friends with them. That means you should stop flaming, teamkill and try active to prevent these things to happen on the servers. Balance teams. Try to help solve problems and misunderstandings.
If you're up against a bunch of newcomers: DON'T SHOW OFF by powning them - give them a chance to win (and even let them regularly).

Mush

Point 2 is simply great. I'm also training someone picked on dog stdas atm :P GG mush :kiss:

Spending thousands of hours to make things better and only taking shit from community is sad. Best example would be Cratos who did outstanding work and what he gets? Retarded jokes and stupid comments about him.

Idd.

Cheap comparision. It's not that you seek guys to do simple stuff like moderating forums or restarting servers.
You seek guys which are good at coding (PHP and/or MySQL). And this requirement limiting possible candidates pretty much, because the usual "Hello World" coding skills aint seeked.
Overall it's not that so many guys are just lazy bums or dont wanna spent time helping, it's more that they simply have no clue about that stuff.
So confronting those Naggers with the lack of help from their side isnt valid. Although it's understandable from your POV

Wrong m8. Most of stuff to code isn't hard. It's time consuming for 1-2 coders. Another 1-2 with simple knowledge who actually can make a website would be enough to keep things going and improving.

Remember for how long many members have been here?
When you've participated in things for a long time you often just get 'invisible' or quiet. But you're still there.
You may even play other games, but you still return to your first real online action game, for nostalgics or because you feel it is bit like a home on the net.
There are lots of players that stays in the background, also lots who keeps turning back.

Mush
Nice post Mush :thumb:

Ye thanks a lot for the wakeup call Mushashi. Let's all try to make a considerate effort to heed his advice :)

To make thing simply i asked clan leaders several times to join something called "Clan representatives". You have no idea how hard for most of them was clicking one bloody button in their CP's to join this forum group.
We voted some of ideas there with very low interest from their side.

I joined dev team few years ago and guess what! I was the last one ... about 3 or 4 years ago! If you're saying that we failed and our work was for nothing then you should know that we also got families, real life friends and jobs. We already spent way too much time here just to get shit in return.

I don't think any intelligent person doesn't :bowdown: to admins and their hard work. Sadly, I think there are less and less intelligent people in UTA these days :(

Wrong m8. Most of stuff to code isn't hard. It's time consuming for 1-2 coders. Another 1-2 with simple knowledge who actually can make a website would be enough to keep things going and improving.

I must admit I have felt the urge to offer help but as Bart said, I felt my abilities would be way lower than required. Gimme a go :)

I fail to see the attraction for "skilled" UTA players on DoG Std Maps.....actually I can see 2 scenarios....
1. You want to help the n00bs understand how to improve their UT experience
2. You're actually a crap player and get a woodie humiliating n00bs

I think DoG Std server should maybe carry a better (longer showing) advert for UTA. URL for www & forums, IRC channel and maybe we should register [email protected] for MSN comms or similar.

Maybe advertise training sessions in some way?

We also need to clean up the forums....the unnecessary use of swearing is:
a. Going to put off new players.
b. We have a lot of non-english players who would probably like to improve their english, and that sort of language isn't helping.