Retired UTA player rambling

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Humph

<a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_tro
Jan 7, 2003
A padded cell
UT will soon be ten years old, and as we all know, ten years is is fucking centuries in terms of computer tech.

Today's cheapest hardware can run Unreal Tournament with arrogant ease, and the game takes up but a tiny fraction of modern day resources. UT ran smoothly on a 500Mhz P2 with a Voodoo 3 and 128megs of RAM - A 3.2Ghz Core2Duo with an 8800GTS and 4 gigs of ram absolutely laughs at a game.

When a game reaches this kind of age, and its system requirements are so vastly surpassed, their fan communities tend to start modding the shit out of them.

So why don't we? Why are we pissing around with tiny chunks of bandwidth that a 56k connection could handle? I'd honestly be surprised if we have anyone here with a connection speed under a megabit by now.

Why are we playing with teams of 6 on tiny, spammy little maps when we could be playing with teams 16? Why are all our textures and skins 256x256 when they could be 1024x1024? Why are all our player and weapon models so goddamn angular?

Our machines and connections can support so much more, so why aren't we making use of it and pimping our shit out?

tbh i dont give a shit about gfx - the only thing that makes UT interesting is its gameplay and i cba to play AS maps with 16 players on each team :p:

well, you cant do much with the Unreal 1.5 engine.
It isnt capable of providing good gaphics in reasonable speed.
No shaders or any other modern technic bla bla supported.

Few days ago i pld some custom AS map (dunno the name anymore), were some mapmaker added prolly 50 palme trees at the start.
The effect was: 10 fps on modern machines and it even looked rubbish. Not even similar to FaCry.

Unfortunately UT wasn't designed for such high player count. It would be a lag fest and you must know that there are days when UT goes mad giving those dual-quad core servers hard times ;) Despite from that i would love to play it and see how it goes.

Was that NIL server with 32 slots back in the good old days?

acura_int_engine.jpeg