Cellphone + Mais = ?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sneez

Jun 11, 2001
After mentos with cola this seems to be the newest hit :

WtF

I wouldn't suggest eating it. What I also find weird is that it takes several minutes in a microwave but here it pops almost instantly :confused:

different radiation range maybe ,,, fook knows but beer tastes good today ;)

So you line up the popcorn and phones and phone one, or all three?

a supernerd at http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=423337 has already applied the science required to debunk it - "Popcorn pops because the water in it turns to steam and a kernel is about 14% water. So, if we assume a kernel of popcorn weighs 1 gram, it has 0.13 grams of water. Heat that water from 30?C to 100?C would take:

(0.14g)*(100?C-3 to turn the water to steam requires he latent heat of vaporization, which is 2259J/g.

2259J*0.14g= 316J for a total of 316J 41J = 357J.

Wattage = Joules/seconds. If it took about 5 seconds to turn the water in the popcorn kernel to steam, then the wattage required was:

357J/5sec = 71W assuming all power from the cell phone transmitter went into the kernel.

Cell phones typically have 0.75W-1W transmitters in them. With a 1W transmitter, it would take,

334J/1W = 334secs, if all power is transfered to the kernel.

Conclusion: since the corn is popping in 5 seconds... completely fake.

edit - as pointed out, corn kernels weigh about 0.25g and there are 4 phones which could be up to 2W each. Therefore, the energy hitting the corn could be 16 times greater. But the other assumption (that all the power is focussed into the water content of just 1 kernel) is most likely wrong by a factor of 100 or more." - NOBODY PANIC

If it's fake how do they make them pop then ? It looks totally real to me. The evidence is right infront of your nose and you still deny it :lol:. The second video is very convincing.

Its obviously fake, watch the way the popcorn "bursts".. they don't move the others at all.. go make popcorn and watch how it pops :lol:

Man people are so dumb sometimes!

subz video is the only non-fake :P

LoL at how naive some people are :D

My guess is that they have a device of some sorts under the table.

Last time I checked wood doesn't conduct electricity or in any way hold thermal capacity or am I wrong :confused:

I highly doubt it is possible and as Nanko pointed out, I think they probably preheated them.