Reviving UTA in 2007

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

One problem you see on some non league servers is when you launch or hammer jump it's classed as a cheat by some people. I don't know why but some people just don't like it and won't learn it.
I think it's because the only objective in CTF is... to pick the ennemy flag. It would be too easy to launch to carry out the flag on a symetric map, and if it was authorized, the game would consist of a series of launchs :D , thus that would not have interest...
However, it would be well of being able at least launching the flag's carrier in a dissimulated place when the base is not clean... i don't see any reason for not doing that.

I don't really play any more and I haven't read the whole thread; but isn't revival really unlikely for such an old game? I doubt it really matters what gets done to the league now or any time in the future, because UT is just too old and there are too many newer and better games about. I loved the league when I was in it and I'd still be playing if I had the net at home; but does anyone really see hordes of players - new or old - filling the league up again to make it like it used to be? Especially in AS which was always the least popular of the four main game types. Plus the people who used to play it have gotten older and have more responsibilities and less time, and since they were there at the league's inception they were the ones (including the admins) who made it what it was and became the best at it.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the AS league returning to its past glory, no matter how improved upon it is.

I don't really play any more and I haven't read the whole thread; but isn't revival really unlikely for such an old game? I doubt it really matters what gets done to the league now or any time in the future, because UT is just too old and there are too many newer and better games about. I loved the league when I was in it and I'd still be playing if I had the net at home; but does anyone really see hordes of players - new or old - filling the league up again to make it like it used to be? Especially in AS which was always the least popular of the four main game types. Plus the people who used to play it have gotten older and have more responsibilities and less time, and since they were there at the league's inception they were the ones (including the admins) who made it what it was and became the best at it.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the AS league returning to its past glory, no matter how improved upon it is.

nah it will never be as popular as a new game , but it can grow again. we already had 2-3 new clans enter the league and imo no new online game is better than UT gameplay wise even today

It is really not interesting how many new clans entering the League.

The interesting is how many new players (not old players with new identities) enters the UTA.

If "uta" is to grow / prosper, it needs to adopt a newer version of UT as the "headline" game, along with (most likely) a new gametype. You can retain ut99 AS as part of the new idea, but it will never return to the glory days of 2002 / 2003.

Problem now is that uta was basically built around students who had tons of time to spare. Now, they've mostly grown up and have jobs to hold down, and little time for spending hours at something like this any more. The students of today are all into other types of online game like WoW. The other major problem is that UTA has simply stagnated. Look at the clans/players at the top of the (2) divisions just now - basically the hangers on who hung on long enough to get to div1 just because all the better players had moved on.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Phear still owns the UTA domain, and Martz still owns the forums by dint of being the one whose name is on the VB renewal licence, irrespective of who actually pays for it via community donations. And, harsh as it sounds to say this, Phear & Martz are part of the problem.

I suspect neither really gives terribly much of a shit about the game of assault in Unreal Tournament any more, but the "league" is, when you get right down to it, owned and controlled by them. Fair enough. The problem is, if people are serious about building up the league, and getting sponsorship and so on, this will inevitably mean a dilution of P & M's power as paying sponsors demand their pound of flesh in exchange. Which I don't see either of them doing. Realistically, a new breakaway league is the only option.

Clanbase? Well, clanbase sucks. No organisation, cheating is still rampant (no matter what admins say), silly rules and a plain awful menu system. But everyone puts up with it, mainly because of the "cups" system.

The only "cup" in UTA is coming top of Div 1 at the moment. Maybe if there was a cup system for each division that might improve things...

Oh well, rant over...

:)

If "uta" is to grow / prosper, it needs to adopt a newer version of UT as the "headline" game, along with (most likely) a new gametype. You can retain ut99 AS as part of the new idea, but it will never return to the glory days of 2002 / 2003.

Problem now is that uta was basically built around students who had tons of time to spare. Now, they've mostly grown up and have jobs to hold down, and little time for spending hours at something like this any more. The students of today are all into other types of online game like WoW. The other major problem is that UTA has simply stagnated. Look at the clans/players at the top of the (2) divisions just now - basically the hangers on who hung on long enough to get to div1 just because all the better players had moved on.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Phear still owns the UTA domain, and Martz still owns the forums by dint of being the one whose name is on the VB renewal licence, irrespective of who actually pays for it via community donations. And, harsh as it sounds to say this, Phear & Martz are part of the problem.

I suspect neither really gives terribly much of a shit about the game of assault in Unreal Tournament any more, but the "league" is, when you get right down to it, owned and controlled by them. Fair enough. The problem is, if people are serious about building up the league, and getting sponsorship and so on, this will inevitably mean a dilution of P & M's power as paying sponsors demand their pound of flesh in exchange. Which I don't see either of them doing. Realistically, a new breakaway league is the only option.

Clanbase? Well, clanbase sucks. No organisation, cheating is still rampant (no matter what admins say), silly rules and a plain awful menu system. But everyone puts up with it, mainly because of the "cups" system.

The only "cup" in UTA is coming top of Div 1 at the moment. Maybe if there was a cup system for each division that might improve things...

Oh well, rant over...

:)

lol at 'basically the hangers on who hung on long enough to get to div1 just because all the better players had moved on.'

the skill level of the top clans atm is far higher than old top clans. Mi5 ION NRG etc would be owned now

Last edited:
the skill level of the top clans atm is far higher than old top clans. Mi5 ION NRG etc would be owned now

..by ~dzz~ !

The game has progressed but yet still stayed the same. That's appealing to some and not appealing to others.