Widescreen

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushroomhead

I'm so sorry I made a mistake!!
Feb 1, 2004
Behind You
Anyone use widescreen monitor?

Wanted to know what its like for gaming, esp UT.

I think newer games, like farcry have widescreen settings, but wondered what happened on older games, stretch or gaps on edges?

they stretch, but with almost all gfx-card drivers you can disable the stretching. Then you've fancy black lines at the left and right :P

i use a wide screen monitor for ut and all you have to do it set your res to the correct hieght width ratio and it works fine in ut ut2k4 bf etc etc

Rich said:
i use a wide screen monitor for ut and all you have to do it set your res to the correct hieght width ratio and it works fine in ut ut2k4 bf etc etc

excellent, thank yo.

Any reccomendations? Looking at hyundai one atm

I use an Apple 23" Display which i got free cant really recomend any other as i havent used any others.

to get your games to play nice just edit the ut.ini fullscreen res to the default of your monitor same in ut2k4 and bfX

Out of interest, how do you lot with widescreen monitors find gaming ? Do you prefer widescreen now or would you rather go back to 4:3 ?

And what size screens do you have?

Looking at a 22" widescreen, but can't make my mind up.

Out of interest, how do you lot with widescreen monitors find gaming ? Do you prefer widescreen now or would you rather go back to 4:3 ?

And what size screens do you have?

Looking at a 22" widescreen, but can't make my mind up.

I prefer 4:3. Also I have 19" atm.

Widescreens are nice. My notebook has a 15 inch widescreen display.

It's handy during software development.
Even in multimedia applications widescreens are useful. most (not saying all) movies are optimized for widescreens anyway.

Only negative point is, that most games still supporting only 4:3 resolutions. Then you've wheter a stretched picture or big black borders at both sides.
Well, my gaming PC has still a 19inch 4:3 CRT.No, not bcoz i dont like widescreens (i acutally like them), only coz this old monitor still working perfect and i didn't have the money to replace a working monitor yet :P

Last edited:
Widescreens are nice. My notebook has a 15 inch widescreen display.

It's handy during software development.
Even in multimedia applications widescreens are useful. most (not saying all) movies are optimized for widescreens anyway.

Only negative point is, that most games still supporting only 4:3 resolutions. Then you've wheter a stretched picture or big black borders at both sides.
Well, my gaming PC has still a 19inch 4:3 CRT.No, not bcoz i dont like widescreens (i acutally like them), only coz this old monitor still working perfect and i didn't have the money to replace a working monitor yet :P
You poor guy :rub: