Reviving UTA in 2007

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

endgegner

The Saviour of UTA. Worship me as DJ worships sofa
Mar 5, 2006
Boston
This topic has been unofficially discussed in two other forum threads, most recently discussed in the UTA clanhoppers thread and discussed to some length in the Rumors About UTA Shutdown thread.

It was in the UTA Clanhoppers thread that Snuggs brilliantly pointed out:

Che said:
omg

http://www.utassault.net/members/listplayers.php

we could have 20 divisions ...if every1 would play

We all know that the UTA league has decreased in size over the years. This isn't surprising to many people since UT99 has been around for close to 8 years. What is surprising is the resiliance of the Assault players who have kept this league alive for so long after so many predicted it would die. This league has been kept alive by the dedicated players who have taken the time to master the game of Assault and who have prided themselves in fair play and good sportsmanship, the clans who have given their time, money and other resources to set up public clan servers and an excellent community on IRC/forums.

Still, we are not naive enough to believe that UTA isn't slowing down, and many of us would like to try and revive UTA in 2007.

I would like to take some time in this thread to discuss the various ways we as a community can work together to help bring more people to UTA and perhaps bring some older members back. Please feel free to provide your input.

So far a number of ways to accomplish our goal of reviving UTA have been mentioned. One very important thing is that UTA needs funding to keep the community running. If you haven't donated to the community before and have some extra cash, consider donating to UTA to show your support an thanks for the many years of fun fragging :)

As for recruiting players: It's most logical to attempt to bring back older players and bring in newer players. Snuggs suggested that we mass-mail all the UTA accounts in hopes of a response. That seems like the most efficient way to try and contact the most amount of forum members. If players who still have contact with older players / players who have moved on to 2k4, get in touch with them and invite them back.

As for bringing new players to the leauge, Mushroomhead was in favor of the idea of setting up a practice server from noobs, get some players off DoG Standard and into practice sessions, teach them some tricks and maps and try to get them into the league. Other options discussed were advertising a bit more on public servers. I have gone to other UT forums such as Unreal Playground, Planet Unreal and Fraggers Pub and told them about our league and community in hopes of catching an interested player. Some people in Unreal Playground are working on AS maps and so I suggested they come here as well.

I would also like to try to see some recruitment from CTF-clans. I don't know too many European CTF clans, being an American unfortunately, but CTF is the gametype with the next biggest teamplay after AS and they do have some concept of launching so it would make sense to try and recruit them imo.

Please give some feedback as to what we can do to help UTA, and please don't say remove lockdown or some bs like that :P We've already lost one good discussion due to that and that's not keeping people from coming to UTA.

Long Live UTAssault :D :thumb:

It wud be good to bring 1 or 2 new ladder(s), like sniper ctf or 2v2as.

Recruit players from ut99 dm ctf and ut2004. the 04 guys shud know that ut99 is wayz stylisher and cooler + class. and both the 04 and the 99 ctf dm guys shud know that assault is an amazing type with tactics, launches and tricks.
a xCTF ladder wud prolly help.
if u are in one tdm ctf clan or uve got m8s in one try and make a few or all of em to try out assault! if we get many ppl at one time it wud be nice :P

and whoever doesnt know utassault.net shud get to know it. lots of nice players on dog std and a few at dog/dfp dont know the page id say.

those who retired from uta: point out that the game is still cool and make em try it out again. that mass mail thingy sounds okish and also talk to guys u know who retired.

hmm 20 divisions wud be nice yer :P

Yes, 2v2as and sniper ctf would be nice. but wasnt there problems with the iCTF league.. Not enough matches played etc? That resulted in the league dieing? 2v2AS would be good i believe. Or maybe admins could bring back the EAC (Europeon Assault Cup) ? Or some other familiar league which includes players representing there teams in wars? Also i have noticed a few CTF clans becoming interested in AS over the last few months. ~]HT$[~ the DM/CTF Clan i have noticed are bringing servers to AS and are willing to learn launches etc. I think smaties idea of making practice servers to introduce/teach these new/old players up-to-date launches/tactics and general gameplay of the UTA community. Most former UTA players seem to have no interest in UT anymore and seem to play games such as WarCraft, Command + Conquer, COD2 , BattleField etc. How do you suppose we bring them back?

Although we alrdy have a "noob" server: Dog-default, a noob server just for practising launches and show tricks would be interesting.
Especially for DM/CTF-guys who just wanna take a look what AS has to offer.

Could form about 5 clans with the ADC player list alone, then start Div 3 again :lol:

I think i read about there becoming a Divison 3 in STD-AS if one more clan joined the league. Will this Division be introduced to the league now then as Montana has made the clan «]pAra[»?

There is also another clan of oldies that might be coming back, but its not for sure yet so I'll keep my mouth shut ;)

i do think we should possibly bring back the EAC or 2v2AS league mentioned in my post below.

hai monster gg ;;)) yes i agree.. also if you look at tactical op's servers. 16+ players on every server most of the time. :(

Yes, 2v2as and sniper ctf would be nice. but wasnt there problems with the iCTF league.. Not enough matches played etc? That resulted in the league dieing? 2v2AS would be good i believe. Or maybe admins could bring back the EAC (Europeon Assault Cup) ? Or some other familiar league which includes players representing there teams in wars? Also i have noticed a few CTF clans becoming interested in AS over the last few months. ~]HT$[~ the DM/CTF Clan i have noticed are bringing servers to AS and are willing to learn launches etc. I think smaties idea of making practice servers to introduce/teach these new/old players up-to-date launches/tactics and general gameplay of the UTA community. Most former UTA players seem to have no interest in UT anymore and seem to play games such as WarCraft, Command + Conquer, COD2 , BattleField etc. How do you suppose we bring them back?

I do know that guys like Target play in zp sniper CTF clans and I think it would be wise to ask him how much interest there could be from people outside UTA. That might help bring more people to UTA and we could get some CTFers into AS :)

I have talked with HTS and they are not interested in UTA because they can only play 4 matches a month. If someone who speaks French could contact them and explain that more people will join their clan so they can make 4 matches a month I think we could get them.

I have been actively getting contact info from people on noob servers like K2K_AS who have shown some potential, but haven't been able to get them to sign up to UTA yet.

I think to get back old players we need to revive some old clans and bring some old players back. Although Konnan has said he has no interest in returning, hypothetically I think if old players like Konnan and Neo returned to the league some other players might rejoin sort of as a reunion. I also think if we got a few new maps players might like to rejoin. As I said, Unreal Playground is working on some AS maps, but since they don't know how we play they don't know how to map to our needs like Grz does. I spoke with my friend Grz yesterday and he's not working on any maps, but he is keeping up on his Chomsky and rooting for Ralph Nader which is just as good by me :cool:

Although we alrdy have a "noob" server: Dog-default, a noob server just for practising launches and show tricks would be interesting.
Especially for DM/CTF-guys who just wanna take a look what AS has to offer.

Well DoG Standard isn't for practicing though. :thumb: to =]DoG[= for all they do for the league with running their server though and special Thx to Timo for all the hard work he puts in. DoG was the first server I ever played on almost a year ago :)

I'm replying to this post though because of what you said: A practice server would be great Especially for DM/CTF-guys who just wanna take a look what AS has to offer.

I had the idea over the summer and Mr_Darcy and I were really bouncing the idea around but it never came into play. I would offer the services of ~dzz~ except we're all poor college kids or unemployed. I'm more than willing to donate what I can though :thumb:

This league has been kept alive by the dedicated players who have taken the time to master the game of Assault and who have prided themselves in fair play and good sportsmanship, the clans who have given their time, money and other resources to set up public clan servers and an excellent community on IRC/forums.

Long Live UTAssault :D :thumb:

I'm dedicated, but I NEVER mastered the game :lol:

knowing that i make a spam post on my own now i hav to say that u guys better do those useless posts sumwhere else :P

coz this is sumth totally serious.

too bad huey gets no ultra when blowing himself afterwards tho :P