Legal advice!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

munkZ

Jun 7, 2001
England
hye, just had this email lol:

I am an attorney with Madison Square Garden L.P. ("MSG"), owner of the above referenced trademark.

Your registration of the domain name LETSGORANGERS.COM (the “Website”) has come to our attention. The Website contains the phrase “Lets Go Rangers!” with a New York City street sign in the background, indicating a reference to the New York Rangers. (A print out of the Website is enclosed with the hard copy version of this Letter).

MSG own registrations in the United States, the U.K. and other countries for various “New York Rangers” trademarks (collectively “Rangers Trademarks”). The New York Rangers are often, in every day speech, referred to simply as the “Rangers” particularly in conversations about hockey. As a result of our long use and extensive promotion, the Rangers Trademarks are well-known among the public and are a source of inestimable goodwill to us.

Your registration and use of the domain name LETSGORANGERS.COM infringes our exclusive rights to the Rangers Trademarks and damages the associated goodwill. Such infringement is actionable pursuant to the ICANN domain name dispute policy, as well as under United States Federal and State law. Your registration and use of LETSGORANGERS.COM violates section 43 of the U.S. trademark law. In particular, we draw your attention to the Cyberpiracy provision, section 43(d), which provides statutory damages under certain circumstances for the bad-faith registration of domain names. The U.S. Trademark law also provides for the recovery of your profits and MSG’s actual damages.

We call upon you to immediately assign to us, at no fee, the domain name LETSGORANGERS.COM and to provide an undertaking not to register in the future any other domain names identical or confusingly similar to the Rangers Trademarks or to any other trademarks owned by Madison Square Garden.

We consider the matter urgent, and request your response within 3 days of the date of this letter.

Thank you for your attention to this matter and we look forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

Stephanie A. Jacqueney

how dodgy?

:lol:

munkZ said:
MSG own registrations in the United States, the U.K. and other countries for various “New York Rangers” trademarks (collectively “Rangers Trademarks”).

Also in Denmark? If not tell them to fuck off .... you can tell them to fuck off anyway.

Whatever you do make them pay for the domain name and expenses, To give it up freely is stupid.

Personally would send a funny email back taking the piss. Could say that you would remove the new york images from the site..

It says that as there is a new york street sign in the image on the website that it makes an obvious reference to rangers with regards to New York and therefor the new york rangers :rolleyes:

If there was no american street sign they'd not be able to make that assumption but I dont see how they can trademark a generalised term for a team :lol: Rangers F.C. must surely have more claim to 'rangers' name than NY Rangers

Last edited:
Hey do you want a pic from my city? It's really cool. We got biggest monument of the pussy in the universe here :D

Cpa.jpg

Biebel said:
remove the new york sign :D
:nod:

tell em to go get fucked and that u are a glasgow rangers fan just put a link to rangers on website

as mym said

and they were established in 1873

where as the ny rangers were established in 1925-26

so who owns the name rangers

so how did they manage to copywrite someone elses name in the uk ?

and the day they get

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,5,00.html

youll glady sell them yours

:D

Ok

Why they are sending you this email is simply because they´r trying to make you hand over the domain name without having to pay the price for it. If you don´t give them the domain (which i would never have done at this moment) they have 2 choices left which is taking you to court, or offer to buy your domain. If they even try to take you to court, you have to talk to someone that´s specialized in "material rights" (Dunno the proper english word but i think that´s a correct translation). He/she can then out of reading this email from them and checking your website, decide how big chance you have to win this case or not. If you win the case it will cost you nothing. If you lose it, it will cost you quite a bit because then you have to pay both yours and their "court costs".

However, don´t be affraid of any kind of costs to start with because it´s not gonna cost you anything unless you have to go to court.

To start with, reply to their email telling them that there is nothing on the site that have anything to do with the new york rangers. For example, there is no colours, no pictures or anything else that have any connection to them.

If they then decide to go further in this matter, which they probably will in one way or the other you will have to take it from there but don´t just hand over the domain to them because that´s stupid. They gave you this 3 day (very short) time limit just to put pressure on you to make the mistake of handing it over directly.

P.s.
Besides this all, since i assume you live in the UK and not in US. They can stick their US laws right up their arse unless the server that hosts the domain is located in the US. If it´s in UK, it´s about UK laws and nothing else so find this out before you answer the email.

TuT said:
P.s.
Besides this all, since i assume you live in the UK and not in US. They can stick their US laws right up their arse unless the server that hosts the domain is located in the US. If it´s in UK, it´s about UK laws and nothing else so find this out before you answer the email.

stupid US fags can stick their law veeeery deep into :moon:

edit:
give us the e-mail address..and we spam them with shit :lol:

Last edited:
No no no! Whatever you do - NOT NOT ask for money for the domain name, or else you'll automatically forfeight it under the ICANN rules.

They are using the ICANN process to get this domain to you for free - by showing that you are a domain squatter - which isn't allowed. They have a very weak case for the name since you're only using one word of the trademark name and hinting at something else to do with New York. Just because a term is "every day speech" of New York Rangers - it doesn't extend their trademark to cover other words or variations.

You have the right to this domain name, as long as you don't fall for the most basic trick in the book - which is asking them for money. If they make you an offer thats fine, but you can't attempt to sell your domain name or else you'll end up in a worse situation.

*bump* Curious whats going on with this now...

Martz said:
No no no! Whatever you do - NOT NOT ask for money for the domain name, or else you'll automatically forfeight it under the ICANN rules.

You have the right to this domain name, as long as you don't fall for the most basic trick in the book - which is asking them for money. If they make you an offer thats fine, but you can't attempt to sell your domain name or else you'll end up in a worse situation.

Why cant you ask money for a domain?

Because thats what a "domain squatter" does. Registers someone elses name and then tries to make a profit selling it to the legitimate person.

http://www.icann.org/dndr/udrp/policy.htm

4bi
(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or to a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name;

whoever deleted that post, it was kind of serious ;( if they see that there's another good reason to have exactly that domain name they might let go.

Ice said:

i can't see any content on munkz' page so can't really check if the content is related to this or that, but i am pretty sure that if he mentions the power rangers they will excuse and probably pay him for the wasted time. if that doesn't work, try with Walker Texas Ranger relation, if that doesn't scare the crap out of them then i don't know :P

Last edited:
Actually their complaint is the association of the rangers name with new york images and a general term used by supporters, its not the same as your deleted post about power rangers.
There is also no direct relationship between using the word rangers in munkz site and its content unlike the url you posted which obvicouly relates rangers in the url to power "rangers".

i'm just kinda ignoring them really lol. i told them i'd hand it over as it expires fairly soon anyway, but my host won't transfer anything over without having a hand written letter sent to them which i havent been arsed to get round and do yet

munkZ said:
i'm just kinda ignoring them really lol. i told them i'd hand it over as it expires fairly soon anyway, but my host won't transfer anything over without having a hand written letter sent to them which i havent been arsed to get round and do yet

Don´t hand it over man, that´s stupidity. The domain is yours and you did nothing wrong so keep it and see what action they take after that.