Question

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Humph

<a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_tro
Jan 7, 2003
A padded cell
My friend and I have purchased a large quantity of matches. We have been removing the match heads and grinding them into fine powder for the purpose of seeing just how effective an incendiary device we can build...

However, if we use a knife to remove the heads, they sometimes ignite! Blades sometimes trigger ignition, but blunt items (we've been using a penny) do not.

Why are our knives igniting the matches?

prolly because you get a tiny spark with knives and it ignit!
I assume you used tha sharp side of the knife!

And pennys are not made of steel, wihch also would effect the ignition ability.

Pennys dont have that sharp sides so it wont ignit.
To ignit a match you usually use a sort of sandpaper with many small and hard grains that make same effect as knife´s edge! :satan:

Ba]V[sE said:
prolly because you get a tiny spark with knives and it ignit!
I assume you used tha sharp side of the knife!

And pennys are not made of steel, wihch also would effect the ignition ability.

Pennys dont have that sharp sides so it wont ignit.
To ignit a match you usually use a sort of sandpaper with many small and hard grains that make same effect as knife´s edge! :satan:
Please don't give him hints to make weapons of mass destruction.

If you take a knife and move the blade along your skin you will notice that it feels like a rough surface. A rough surface is just what it needs for a match to ignite :P

If you don't want this to happen you could use safety matches (where the chemicals on the striking surface are needed to ignite the match), but that would probably destroy your experiment aswell :P

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match)

Last edited:
either

Heat - The sharper the cutting edge, the more the generated heat of the friction will concentrate on the smaller edge and thus become hot enough to ignite the match. Try if the matches only ignite if you move the blade faster.

Friction - The metal of the side of the blade might be rougher (and a bigger constant surface) then the metal of the penny and therefore it might be easier for a match to ignite off the side of the blade...

But my vote is on the heat caused by friction of a smaller surface.

friction!

and humph when youve got this collection, get one of those old hollow wardrobe keys, fill it up, then block the end and climb the empire state building !

Use fertilizer (the good stuff with potasium chlorite in it) and sugar melted down in a pan (more potasium ch. than sugar), pour when fluid-like into a plastic tub of some sort and put all of your match heads ontop of it while it sets.

Then ignite from a safe distance and fill a few miles with thick putrid smoke. Always good fun when I were a lad.

Supermic! said:
Right I did that, now... how do I stop the bleeding? And a quick answer please

Take the knife and stab it into the wound. Don't pull out until bleeding has stopped (you will notice when your heartbeat goes back to normal) :P