Reputation system to be disabled for 2006

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
The user reputation system will be switched off at the start of the New Year.

There was plenty of opposition to it when it was first introduced, and since then it has been abused and serves little purpose apart from causing more flames and complaints because of the way some people have abused it. Such as new users who post are receiving negative reputation from someone with a lots of positive rep - and causing those users to be -300 or so after only a single post and 1 days registration.

Ideally, users who actually posted quality content on the forums should receive reputation for their contributions, and bad reputation for spam or OT posts. It hasn't worked like that at all, and the only way to make it work in that way would be to limit it to moderators and admins.

I don't think limiting the rep system to those people would be a good idea either, so it's getting switched off.

If you would like to propose a serious solution or alternative to the reputation system, drop me a PM. Posts in this thread will probably get lost in the noise of members complaining about it being disabled - and to those people I am sorry.

You should restart the reputation system reset everone back to 1 and disable the Rep Power Display that i asked you to turn on.

Also install them Reputation plugins that try and stop rep abuse ;)

P.S. vBulletin 3.5.2 is out now :p:

[edit] Or just make it so Admins, Mods, Donators Can use the Reputation System [/edit]

^^ ffs martz install some new vbcodes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: yako
maybe that u can only give 5 reps per day and u need to rep at least 25 other people before giving to the same again?
oh and of course that rep power display... disable it

Reactions: F@TBOY and yako
On another note to reputation, it is a good way for users to be able to moderate the forum. As when some spammer comes on a quick red rep will stop the spammer from opening new threads :)

Reactions: F@TBOY
Status
Not open for further replies.