Epic finally speaks out about the future of the ut franchise...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

i dont know where all you people get idea that 2k3 or 2k4 was a flop.
2k3 was shite to play and 2k4 has its flaws but millions of newbies around the globe bought them and made them a financial success. do you really think epic could permanently hire new people and take over entire design teams if their games were as disastrous as you say?
a gametype like conquest is exactly the kinda thing that sells a game, sounds like a great idea of epic proportions on paper and all teh gamemags will love it for its supposed innovation and all the weekend gamers will buy it.
face it thats all that counts, the die hard players and "pros" are too small a market to count, your not making money by pleasing people who critisize your work no matter how good it is.

every semi-professional gamecommunity on this planet adjusts their game of choice to their needs, be it OSP and CPM in quake, TTM and UTComp in 2k4, LAS for us here, you never get a game out of the box just the way you like it. when q3 was published the q2 community moaned how shite and mainstream it was, nevertheless the noobies had their game which was easy to catch on and the "pros" made their tourney mutators to suit the game to their needs.

people who are afraid of change should just shut their piehole and stick with their old game instead of trying a new one for 30 minutes and then ranting about it for 2 years, rly its fucking annoying to hear the same shit all the time.

also talking ego, its this community here which does exactly the same as willhaven by saying that our way of AS is the only real one and epics way is shite. of course we think the new AS sucks ass, they nerfed everything that AS is for us, but as you can see most people dont like our way of playing the game, so whos to judge.
be happy UTA suits your needs so well and stick with it, if your getting bored then you have to accept some changes.

Reactions: Cassius
Well said.

I love 2k4 aswell tho and its a mistake to think it has anything to do with ut. I loved ut but am pretty bored with it now and its all personal. UT grabbed me by the balls and didnt let go till three years had past. I hope for my personal life no game will make me an addict like UT did tbh. It was a great time but lets move on to the next big game out there which in my opinion hasnt been made yet.

My guess is it will be totaly different from all the games already out there and is so original it will keep the appeal again for a long time.

Gr Pex

Sauron said:
i dont know where all you people get idea that 2k3 or 2k4 was a flop.

From epic's SEC filing for last year.

UT2K3 made a staggering loss on it's own - what saved them was the engine development.

Sauron said:
2k3 was shite to play and 2k4 has its flaws but millions of newbies around the globe bought them and made them a financial success. do you really think epic could permanently hire new people and take over entire design teams if their games were as disastrous as you say?

Millions? no, in fact, worldwide sales of 2K3 were incredibly poor. UT99 sold 2 million units in it's first year - a devastating sucess. 2K3 was also a big seller, but the sales tailed off very quickly - not least as a result of the thousands of people telling their friends - "don't buy it!"

Amazon operated at a loss of nearly 120 Million US in it's first year. Investors will stand a lot, if they believe that the company is producing somehting long term which will pay them back... which is why Eipc's *NEXT* game is the real important one.

Sauron said:
a gametype like conquest is exactly the kinda thing that sells a game, sounds like a great idea of epic proportions on paper and all teh gamemags will love it for its supposed innovation and all the weekend gamers will buy it. face it thats all that counts, the die hard players and "pros" are too small a market to count, your not making money by pleasing people who critisize your work no matter how good it is.

You are right, of course... except epic chose to ignore the input of almost every long term player of UT, not just the AS community. I read some really well constructed and rational critiques of the game and it's engine as the versions appeared... and none of them were listened to.

Ultimately, it takes a lot longer for a game company to build a marketing campaign in print and digital medias, to build the hype and get product distributed, than it takes for word of mouth to spread like wildfire on boards like this saying "Don't buy it - it's shit". Whether it's true or not, fact remains, I bought a copy of 2K3, but I sure as hell wasn't going to waste my money onn 2K4 without seeing some good stuff first.

As it is, I didn't buy it, didn't get into it, and it looks like I'm not alone.

people who are afraid of change should just shut their piehole and stick with their old game instead of trying a new one for 30 minutes and then ranting about it for 2 years, rly its fucking annoying to hear the same shit all the time.

yeah, it is annoying to hear the same thing all the time... like "afraid of change". very few of the people who criticise the newer UT versions are afraid of change - they just want change fo the better, not change that stinks. UT99 had somehting very rare in games - great gameplay. What the Epic guys don't seem to realise is this - all the super-pipelined render engines in the world won't make the game good. if the basic gameplay stinks, leading edge polygon count isn't going to save it.

sauron said:
be happy UTA suits your needs so well and stick with it, if your getting bored then you have to accept some changes.

Meh - I mostly play "City of Heroes" now anyway. ;)

Wintermute said:
yeah, it is annoying to hear the same thing all the time... like "afraid of change". very few of the people who criticise the newer UT versions are afraid of change - they just want change fo the better, not change that stinks. UT99 had somehting very rare in games - great gameplay. What the Epic guys don't seem to realise is this - all the super-pipelined render engines in the world won't make the game good. if the basic gameplay stinks, leading edge polygon count isn't going to save it.
change for the better a.k.a. change the way i myself and nobody else wants it. your not gonna get that ever.
its simply the ego question again, who defines whats better? i guess most of the people who migrated to 2k4 thought that its the better game overall, else they wud have stayed, or at least they were incredibly bored by the game they played before which 2k4 the better alternative anyways. theres always at least 2 pov's to good and bad.

Wintermute said:
Meh - I mostly play "City of Heroes" now anyway. ;)
why the fuck are you complaining then :shout: :D

Isn't there some logic in all this?

A game isn't profitable if it appeals to a solid community for years instead of a short popularity. A company can't survive if they don't sell a new product often.

so unreal tournament really is becoming the new FIFA

update every year:lol:

Rich said:
what is this game you speak of ?
http://www.cityofheroes.com

It's a MMPORG - and when I say massive, I mean massive. It's set in "Paragon City", a city about the size of New York, the city is split into zones, each zone pretty huge in itself.

As an example, this is "atlas park", one of the zones:

atlas2.jpg

It takes a good 10 minutes to run from one side to the other (until you get more superpowers of course ;) ) some of the bigger zones can take a good 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other. Typically, there are a good few thousand people online in the evenings (sometimes in the tens of thousands)

You play a superhero (in fact, you can have up to eight characters on the go at once on each of the game servers - I usually play on the "virtue" server, where I have four characters.

Each hero starts off able to pretty much run about and explore, but pretty feeble. As you run around, you come across people being mugged, gangs breaking into cars or buildings, that sort of thing. The more bad guys you defeat, the more experience you get - when you get enough, you increase level.

Each level brings the ability to make your powers stronger, or to get new ones - so, at level four, you get the power to "hover" not quite fly, but close.

THere are different types of heroes -

Tankers (The Hulk, Hellboy) who can take huge amounts of damage, and basically fight with their hands, or a big axe :D

Scrappers (Wolverine, Batman) who can fight like crazy, but are more fragile than the Tanks.

Blasters (Judge Dredd, Spiderman, Cyclops) that can use powers at a distance, so, big guns, wrapping someone in sticky web, or shooting them with a blast of fire.

Controllers (Jean Gray, Magneto), who can use mind powers to make people see things (to protect a group of heroes), or kill them... with MIND BULLETS!

Defenders are healers who can help a team to recover. (Can you guess, I don't play a defender character? ;) )

I was really dismissive of the game, until one of my mates got a free month's trial, and convinced me to give it a go... what can I say? It's the most fun I have had in an online game, ever.

My main character is now level 28 (there are 50 levels) - can run around with superhuman speed, leap over (small) buildings, shoot bolts of fire, and have an absolute blast with my mates. This is her, standing on top of a skyscraper in "Atlas Park" (one of the small zones)

atlas1.jpg

That's the other thing - it's all about teams. you can form up teams of super heroes to perform specific missions (rescuing a scientist who has been kidnapped by an eeeeeeevil arch-villian, saving the city from disaster by stopping rogue soldiers from blowing up the nuclear plant, finding the source of a myserious plague before it gets into the water and kills everyone... that sort of thing :))

You can join up with random folks for a pick-up team, or form a supergroup (like a clan basically). This is a bunch of random folks I played with starting a "task force" - a series of missions that tell an ongoing story - these things last for up to eight hours, and can be played over multiple nights - brilliant fun.

team1.jpg

This is one of the other zones, Steel Canyon - it's like a city centre with lots of skyscrapers - cool for flying around, looking for bad guys to fight :D

canyon1.jpg

Wintermute said:
http://www.cityofheroes.com

It's a MMPORG - and when I say massive, I mean massive. It's set in "Paragon City", a city about the size of New York, the city is split into zones, each zone pretty huge in itself.

[blablabla - snipped to save space]

This is one of the other zones, Steel Canyon - it's like a city centre with lots of skyscrapers - cool for flying around, looking for bad guys to fight :D

So basically, taking the core of your post and trimming out all the verbiage, you're saying you bought the game to ogle girls in neon coloured spandex jumpsuits?

:D

Thuringwethil said:
So basically, taking the core of your post and trimming out all the verbiage, you're saying you bought the game to ogle girls in neon coloured spandex jumpsuits?
:D
More pretending to *be* a girl in neon coloured spandex.

I'm sure that you of all people can see the attraction ;)

yes its dead.

What Pex said. Once Ut4 had the UTcomp and I could finally see. I loved clan matches versus Pink neon fat bastards.
There is a Amazing enviroment/engine in ut4 you can be very very skillfull and masterfull of nice moves.
But publics? publics don't even have a few dozen players on them ever and it's worse now. I thought it was sad.
The arrogance that Ian talks about existed too, very much.
Also it's a different market these days. Every thing is so shiny with whistles that people move around from thing too thing alot. Bf1942 and Co was the only game I noticed that had a real following these last 4 years. Thers sure to be others.
HL2 UT4 Ut99 bfv bfdc bf1942 bfstar wars Doom 3 Far cry I love them all and Have time for none of them really ;)
The reason we are all here tho is UT99 and that is a special little gem. I'll never give so much to a game again I should think. it was Flawless. Elite (c64+diskdrive). Ut99. nuff said.

Ian I was on fire about that game when I saw it as "Metropolis" before it was released on TV. I assumed it had flopped cuz I never heard of it again untill now.
ehemm I might be trying that very soon :)

Reactions: yako
they should take double jump out keep assault in there classic maps and ofcourse launching thats all we need and all we want great engine but the way its looking its gonna be a crap game :hangover:

ProPain said:
well i basically agree with everything in it, ut feels more personal than ut2k4, although i enjoy ut2k4 i only enjoy from time to time, while ut is a steadfast classic imo. Personally i can say a 100% sure that i will not be buying the next ut before i give it a spin at a friends place. They lost some credit with ut2k3 and ut2k4 in my book, sure they are awesome but totally different from ut and from what i look for in a game /rant

Agreed i played 2k4 quite a bit insta and assault and it dont come close to the feeling of playing ut99 allthough it was fun for a very short period and i dont hold much hopes for there next attempt and wont be buying either unless this community in a whole starts posting "holy fuck its ace" which i dont reckon will happen somehow.