Guild Wars

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Felerian

"All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?"
Nov 5, 2002
masthead-left.jpg

Just wanted to ask who will be playing this game?
Anybody pre-order?
42 days till release (28th April) :)

Anybody played during the
beta-weekend-events-icon.jpg

There are going to be 2 more, one this weekend (March 18th - 20th) and one next month before the release of the game (April 15th - 17th) which only ppl can participate in that have pre-ordered.

ok, ok.
Warchild wants me to tell a little story about the game :)

Here i go...

once upon a time, there was a company called Blizzard and they made a Game called Warcraft and then Warcraft II and then Warcraft III. They planned on World of Warcraft and then their Teamleader and few other sayed "fuck this shit, we wanna programm a great game!" and then they left Blizzard. They founded ArenaNet and started coding on Guildwars. That was in Year 2000/2001... the game idea started to grow and it grew and grew and grew. After some time ArenaNet found a company to publish the game and that was NCSoft. Some of you might know NCSoft combined with games like Lineage and Lineage II. During the first beta Event of GUILD WARS in October 2004 over 400.000 ppl played the game all over the world. Now 2005 the game has evolved to one of the greatest games ever!

A MMORPG with a grafic engline letting old machines still running the game with awesome grafics, absolute great and well thought skillsystem, a Unique Streaming Technology for upgrading a game without players noticing and many more features... but the probably most interesting thing for all of the ppl is that THE FUCKING GAME DOES NOT HAVE ANY MONTHLY PAYMENT!!!!!!

Here a few screenshots:
(Click to enlarge)
Screenshot 1:; Screenshot 2:; Screenshot 3:;
Screenshot 4:; Screenshot 5:; Screenshot 6:;

Follow this link to download the latest Game Trailer (DIVX!!!): Download

for more information, see www.guildwars.com

(also i found two older threads about this game on uta forum, i just found them 1 minute ago. click here & here.

ONLY A COCKNOOBER CAN GIVE ME BAD REP FOR THIS POST!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Avalanche
hey ho Warchild, i updated my first post.
Extra for you :)

prolly cuz he got his ass kicked... cuz its not Levelbased... its skill based and that gives many players the piss.

In other games like WoW or EQ the higher level player wins... in Guildwars the better skilled player wins.

I like it, i ordered it, and i will play it. :P

This looks pretty good...
First of all, I hate monthly fees. Not just because i'm a cheap bastard, but if you dont play for some time for whatever reason (too busy with whatever) its kinda expensive, so in a way its forcing you to play more and more.. which turns to addiction, and i really dont have time for some mmorpg addiction. :P

I've played some (free) mmorpg's in the past.. ranging from übercrappy 2d stuff (Tibia, etc) up to 3d ones (Anarchy Online,1 year free), and I deffo like mmorpgs.. reason I quit AO was because i didnt wanna get addicited plus the engine was kinda old, so a lot of people on the screen slowed my puter down lol.

I will be deffo keeping an eye on this one.. :)

Reactions: Cassius
Ye, been playing in the betatesting periods, and i must say it looks promising, and the netcode is really great :thumb:
Uses about 2-300 bytes pr second, so basicly u can dl as much u want to in the background, don't know about the netcodinf of WoW, but doubtful as great as this one :naughty:

Reactions: Lex_Mortis
It's a very nice game. If I had time to play a MMORPG I'd play this over wow easy.

Cassius said:
Uses about 2-300 bytes pr second
There is no way this can be correct, even empty/smallest packets are larger than 2 bytes.

UDP/IP 1byte data packet size: 28 bytes -> headers (8 for UDP, 20 for IP) + 1 byte for data
TCP/IP 1byte data packet size: 41 bytes -> headers (20 for TCP, 20 for IP) + 1 byte for data
Plus tcp/ip needs syn/ack packets (40 bytes each) for the 3way handshake.

UDP is smaller but a lot less reliable (easier to lose packets), so I doubt they use that..

Not to mention 1 byte data is no way enough to update everyone's position close to you + what they are doing + text msg's.

And yes I know this is a techy/geeky post, but I'm bored :P

Felerian said:
They planned on World of Warcraft and then their Teamleader and few other sayed "fuck this shit, we wanna programm a great game!" and then they left Blizzard.
And then they said: "Fuck! WoW is going to be the most popular MMORPG ever?
Don't make up your own quotes please :p:
Also: Saying WoW PvP doesn't require any skill is like saying that guildwars is a MMORPG. Both untrue in a way; *Guildwars is more of a team-based hack 'n slash game which doesn't nearly require the service and server-power that *real* MMORPG's require.
And I doubt you've ever played WoW if you say skill isn't required.

*Note that I'm not saying Guildwars is a bad game (I'll most likely be playing it sooner or later), I'm just saying it's not a real MMORPG.

Menace said:
Don't make up your own quotes please
i didn´t make up anything... go read it yourself, fs...

i did some research how arena.net was founded and i was like "wtf" myself...
Xerxes said:
must you pay for each month?
no, there is no monthly fee.

well, I plowed through their entire site, and couldn't find any quote in which their (lead) designer(s) said "Fuck this shit, we want to program a good game" ("this shit" being World of Warcraft/Blizzard) before they decided to found their own studio, so please give me the link :p:

Reactions: SiRiUs13
haha i beta tested this coz all the -8- guys loved to play and while its a little fun to battle other teams, thats really all i liked about it, we get our ass kicked left right and center. Maybe its coz i havent played a mmorpg and i was shoved in at level 20. Tactically it seems quite good but its not my type of game

http://www.shot-online.com < wicked game!

I'm still in two minds wether to buy it or not. I played an online beta and did very well with myself (got some korean friends who play it so got into their guild pretty quickly). It's got a nice GvG / PvP area which you have to get past about 5 rounds to get some good fame points. Thing about guild wars is that it isn't so dependant on grinding, which is good for me with not-a-lot-of-time on my hands. The bad thing about the normal quest is its much better and more valuable to play with NPCs in your team than other players - you get all the pickups with only a small sacrafice of EXP :P