League warmup maps...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
I just wanted to ask what people's opinions were on having a set list of warmup maps, instead of the system there is at the moment, where they seem to be chosen randomly (maybe I'm wrong). The thing is, a clan is regularly given a warmup map with 2 minutes to attack it, even though that map can't feasibly be done under 2 minutes, which means they lose the warmup and are at a disadvantage. So my suggestion would be to have a group of just a few small maps from which the warmup would be chosen - maps which could reasonably be attacked or defended for 2 minutes. Getting Golgotha as a warmup map is a pain in the arse.

So I just wanted to know what people's opinions are about it. It's not a big deal and it's not a 'change everything about the league' thread. Just a suggestion ;)

I dont mind playing any of the maps as a warmup, but if its Golgo, Bridge, Astheno thats really like you said pain in the arse :>

Reactions: Sauron
rule is its always the last map in the maplist that gets picked. Ofcourse means its sucks to have a map that is usually long if ur attacking on the 'warmup'.

the warmup maps is not chosen randomly. it is always the last map in the maplist. if you played some games before over the full length of 14 maps you might have noticed that the last map in the game is the same as the warmup was. the use of the warmup map is to give both clans time enough to get their full team on the server. in many sports one got the luck of the draw and the other one doesnt, just like in tennis or speed-skating. can compare this, sometimes you have the luck to defend a warmup map like bridge/golgotha and sometimes you dont

edit: dm maps as warmup? err lol yea if you can be arsed to code a setup system which changes the gamemode automatically and sorts out dm settings and leagueas settings :P

Last edited:
Basdo said:
edit: dm maps as warmup? err lol yea if you can be arsed to code a setup system which changes the gamemode automatically and sorts out dm settings and leagueas settings :P

Not so hard to code :moon2:

i guess..:p

there was a time when (because of the bindport-bug) you had to sort the once-played maps alphabetically (those from the one clan ascending - the other descending <- if i remeber correctly)

don't know what the rules say about this atm but whenever i set a match on aak server i moved the maps around so that rook or frig etc were warmup :cuddle:

altho what bas said is right too:
sometimes you have luck defending it, sometimes bad luck attacking it.
which would even things out again.

anyway it would be more "satisfying" whene there was a mappool
but the implementation @ automatic setup system ain't that easy i think.
and timo has enough sh*t to sort with it atm i think :(

P.S. another prob: what if no clan picked that one of those maps?
then you would need a priority system that selects the "most reasonable other map" as warmup (etc... hope timo doesn't read this. i bet he will try to implement it :D )

[edit] i am no dm-hater in any way - but this is still an AS-League :fight: :snowton: [/edit]

i think leave evrything like it is now.. you wont be better all of a sudden if you start attacking or defending will you?

Well most AS players prefer attacking to defending, prolly anyway. And it's just nice to at least have a chance to win the warmup map. Not a lot of chance winning Asthen or Ballistic etc in 2 mins. If it could be fixed so that the only maps available for warmup rounds were ones like Rook and Mazon etc...oh I dunno where I'm going with this. Np just wanted to hear some opinions :P

y is there a disadvatange when u def first? U still have to attack faster than the other team.

happened a few times that even if u lose warmup u attack first tho so it doesnt matter at all. :Xmastree:

y is there a disadvatange when u def first?

Psychologically, it's easier to attack first, becasue you are the team who will set the time limit for the next round. You are under a lot less pressure with a full time limit in which to attack.

I suppose we could have a standard list of "warm-up" maps etc...

Whatever happens, it would probably require more coding on LeagueAS side of things than on setup side.

TDM for warmup?! :rolleyes: ... Again probably do-able, but that would also require more LeagueAS coding (who would attack first after the map etc).

In short: :fingers:

btw; for those who didn't know.. Maps get pooled using the following rules:

1. All common maps between the two maplists are sorted alphabetically.
2. Team 1's maps are then intermixed with Team 2's maps Descending to Ascending.
3. The last map in the pool is used as the 2 minute warmup map.

Example (taken from the DoG calendar):

']['¢ø Maps:
AutoRIP, Ballistic, Desertstorm, Desolate][, GolgothaAL, Mazon, RiverbedAL.
=]DoG[= Maps:
Desertstorm, Frigate, Lavafort][, Mazon, Riverbed]l[AL, Rook, Submarinebase][.

Ordered rotation:
Desertstorm, Mazon, RiverbedAL Frigate, GolgothaAL, Lavafort][, Desolate][, Riverbed]l[AL, Ballistic, Rook, AutoRIP, Submarinebase][**.

---

Some other facts you may not know..

The team that books the server is always the RED team (team 1). Red will always defend first also.

Reactions: Supermic!
[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]
The team that books the server is always the RED team (team 1). Red will always defend first also.[/QUOTE]
That would explain why us lazy AoR fags are always Blue then :P

Paa` said:
Just have rook as always warmup map ? seem's a simple solution to me..

impossible without useless coding when no/both teams choose rook.

Useless said:
Psychologically, it's easier to attack first, becasue you are the team who will set the time limit for the next round. You are under a lot less pressure with a full time limit in which to attack.

lol, pressure when playin ut :)

For my play its better to know how much time I got left coz I know then that I need to go straight to the next objective as fast as possible. If I had had full time I would have waited for a good moment to attack maybe or would have gone for some distraction so a teammate can get the objective or whatever.

Also if u do a great def, maybe even full def u can go completely relaxed into the map so theres no need for pressure:D

fine as it is imo, although some maps are pretty unsuitable for warmup
then again 2 minutes aint gonna warm up anybody really, just make sure you're "hot" before you start

at the end of the day it aint no biggie is it, defend first attack first not much of a difference

Who cares about the warmup anyway? The better team wins, wether u win a warmup or not. Easy as that. I agree with Stylefish on this one. U gotta defend first? Just get a solid defence, and attack faster then ur opponent. U gotta attack first? Attack faster than your opponent, make sure your def is solid. Doesnt make any difference.