Windows 7 @64 bit, UT with LCD 120 hz

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Meteor

<b>League A</b><b>dministrator</b>
Feb 2, 2002
post about issues with 120Hz monitor and UT

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it more times with different PC and OS and still I do not have my used feeling. At the moment I am a little bit helpless what UT99 belongs.

At the moment these inis are my last usage state I tried to run UT99 on my old PC with Windows 7 @64 bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does in its play attributes not feel the exact same like my previous UT installations did. They all were driven with different and today outdated operating systems. There was always a slightly different way UT99 behaved, whereas with Windows 7 and my new 120 hz monitor it does play and feel just wrong. With my newest PC UT tends also to have an annoying asynchronous opponent player movement. In this randomly occuring situation it is online simply unplayable. The problem is, that I am unable to spot why it does feel bad. I tried everything and all the time I end up with an UT99 that makes me unhappy, because it does not what I expect from it and what I want it to act and feel like. The comparison between years of positive UT99 experience and today is just this vital to much difference away from my own acceptable point of view. My last move in 2014 is an upcoming change from adsl to cable to have this also sorted.

It does in its play attributes not feel the exact same like my previous UT installations did. They all were driven with different and today outdated operating systems. There was always a slightly different way UT99 behaved, whereas with Windows 7 and my new 120 hz monitor it does play and feel just wrong. With my newest PC UT tends also to have an annoying asynchronous opponent player movement. In this randomly occuring situation it is online simply unplayable. The problem is, that I am unable to spot why it does feel bad. I tried everything and all the time I end up with an UT99 that makes me unhappy, because it does not what I expect from it and what I want it to act and feel like. The comparison between years of positive UT99 experience and today is just this vital to much difference away from my own acceptable point of view. My last move in 2014 is an upcoming change from adsl to cable to have this also sorted.

I am having this exact same issue for the last few years! Also since I moved to a Win 7 64bit install at some point, together with a 120hz monitor, I just can't get UT to feel the way it used too. The general physics of the game just seem way different. It just messes up the whole game flow and my aim. I know I am aiming well, but shots just don't seem to register properly.

I think I'd need more specifics about that. I've installed on Win7 64bit 2x without much hassle, although I have had some issues with my mouse drivers which were easily resolved by making sure I had the proper DirextX environments and drivers.

One of the main issues people seem to be having is framerate issues which cause unexpected problems, such as not being able to run through portals. This can be fixed by setting a frameratelimit in settings, which you already have Meteor (although 120 may be too low depending on your machine) and disabling VSync, both in graphics card and in game. (SwapInterval=0 in OpenGL settings, DisableVSyng=True in D3D9) - It goes without saying that you need to have the latest drivers which some people have forgotten lately, or never had to begin with *cough biebel!* http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ or try D3D10 which is supposed to work well with win7 x64 http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

I'd suggest trying the dual/quadcore fix (setting processor affinity) and running in compatibility mode with WinXP SP2/3. If you can get me more specifics, we can see what's happening!

As I am not alone with this problem I asked Mym (or with this post every other NON-Unreal Tournament Forum Moderator) to move this whole Topic and Thread into a suitable forum area and make it also sticky.

Topic suggestion: "Windows 7 @64 bit, UT with 120Hz LCD"

Last edited:
If you have a 120hz LCD that may be the beginning of your problem, Meteor, as you're capping your framerate at 120. For UT to run smoothly you ideally need a higher framerate than your refresh rate. Try setting Frameratelimit=200

I tried replicating a situation tonight where I created a "laggy" "choppy" and unusual UT setting, where the game sort of "just didn't feel right" (although this is a very vague description) - the issue was essentially that my framerate was about 115-120. To run UT optimally with high settings and Win7 I'm convinced you should aim for above 140fps.

Laste files update 01/31/2013 working fine with 64 bits.

Here you have 3 level setting under opengl but you can turn it d3d9 they are all two full optimised.
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=WarConfig.rar

If you want take it full UT optimised and not only config.
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=UnrealTournament-V3.exe

You have probably a multicore processor and need a patch for it .
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?search=MultiCoreFix.zip&dir=&searchMode=f

Out of my own experience to high framerates above 155 fps in UT can also be a problem. I am sure I tried already higher framerates myself more times too, but will give it another try. Another problem in the past were not white listed renderer that made them unusable for online gaming. In multi gpu situations the framerate limit feature was not working with opengl and windows 7 (64 bit). For UT99 I always used direct input. Ubuntu (64 bit) runs UT99 good with Wine. Unfortunately I was with direct input unable to use the main menu. Maybe I give also this another try with 32 bit.