Custom Maps

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Custom maps?

• Total voters
how about this scenario, we got 2 caps A and B
A wants to pick 2 custom maps, so he picks 1 and asks B will u pick a custom or not (keep in mind B has last 2 maps to pick)
what can B do then? he can say
-sure go ahead and pick i don't want 1
-no, i will pick 1 in which case he could pick 1 or he just says that so that A cannot pick 2
or another case (same scenario) A does not pick any customs so B can indeed pick 2 as last 2 picks

problem is imo, if A asks do u wanna pick a custom or can i pick 2 B would most likely pick one of his own that he likes or at least doesn't mind just so that A can't pick w/e he wants (B will usually pick one just so he doesn't have to possibly play a custom he hates)

TLDR i would prefer 1 per captain just to avoid other petty arguments

Can easily be solved with the "don't be a complete dickhead" rule applied to captains. You could also implement a "just use common sense" rule but in 2013 apparently 90% still haven't acquired that talent.

The reason that I had to come up with rules in the first place is that the 'don't be a complete dickhead' rule is not a realistic talent that people can follow. Otherwise there would be no posts right now.

As I said. Rather than come up with 100 different potential scenarios this is the rule:

1 per captain. 2 MAXIMUM per PUG

If the captain who has already picked a custom wants to know if the other captain will pick one. Ask. If you get no response, then take that as a no. You may ONLY in ONE situation as a captain pick 2 maps and that is if the other captain agrees. Very very simple!

AS-Scarab ppl starting to like cause i picked it every time i captained. People were so against me and the map in the beginning but ppl start to like it. It takes TIME alot of TIME before a map is liked. You need to have patiente with the maps. This is why i think people should play more.

NALI is also a good map that people with like if its pld more. People are just to stubborn.
Same goes with Dustbowl.
Off course there are some shit custom maps but rarley picked.

Can easily be solved with the "don't be a complete dickhead" rule applied to captains. You could also implement a "just use common sense" rule but in 2013 apparently 90% still haven't acquired that talent.
Wonder what happend last night....

If the captain who has already picked a custom wants to know if the other captain will pick one. Ask. If you get no response, then take that as a no. You may ONLY in ONE situation as a captain pick 2 maps and that is if the other captain agrees. Very very simple!
Thats not completely true thos mc. If i picked a custom and im last to pick and the other did not pick a custom im still allowed to pick a 2nd. You did not mention that.

Thats not completely true thos mc. If i picked a custom and im last to pick and the other did not pick a custom im still allowed to pick a 2nd. You did not mention that.

You may ONLY in ONE situation as a captain pick 2 maps and that is if the other captain agrees. Very very simple!

This is not what has been played with last years. And this is not stated in the rules.
IF im last to pick and the other captain didnt pick 1 we always said thats its ok to pick another.
Somehow thats changed now?

Try not being a Dick and using some common sense. If its two customs which everyone knows and no one is objecting to picking some customs what's the problem? The problem only arises when people don't wanna play maps and are forced to, so don't be a dick.

AS-TheScarabSE AS-Ballistic AS-AutoRip AS-AsthenosphereSE AS-NaliColony_preview5 AS-Desertstorm AS-Bridge

1. technically 3 'non league' maps were picked, nevermind there is no league, nevermind the maps picked actually play well, nevermind xb didnt want you to pick another one, nevermind he asked you for 'rules', nevermind you didnt give a fuck and picked without his 'permission'
2. the vote is 12-0 atm for 1 custom per captain

common sense > all, stop being obtuse

Try not being a Dick and using some common sense. If its two customs which everyone knows and no one is objecting to picking some customs what's the problem? The problem only arises when people don't wanna play maps and are forced to, so don't be a dick.

if there is a decent lineup people will generally want to play normal maps cause that way the outcome will not be decided by somebody getting lost or not knowing some rand custom

also@dj, u r right the rule so far was that u were allowed to pick 2 customs as cap as long as the other cap did not want to pick one of his own. i wouldnt pick 2x customs as cap anyway, i like lost temple and i dont always pick it but when i do people always go :clap: on chat

as pogo said we should make a list with the current maps and custom ones as well that way there is no arguing oh i thought map x wasn't custom etc...there will always be debate over stuff but as long as the rules are explained better it's easier to follow them, just saying

Not always Pitbull, there are occasions where people say "Let's play a custom maps pug" and get some good competition. The competition becomes who knows maps and can think quick enough to figure them out vs. repetition of the same old maps. I see nothing wrong with customs should people not object to playing them in a given pug.

The argument that "playing the custom maps" helps you to get to know them is flawed, like Sphere said. Some maps just aren't meant to be.

Dustbowl is a fun map, played on a semi-regular basis for a couple of years and it has become a somewhat forgotten map. Shame really but you can see why, with too many exploits. Let's face it, we like maps with choke points (Riverbed 3) and exploitation that can be managed (Bridge).

For me, Scarab has too many flaws and has only become a bit popular of late because certain people KEEP picking it, yes people get to know it a little, some more than others but I would wager this follows a similar route to Dustbowl and unless people like DJ continue to pick it, will get forgotten and become a 'once in a while' map. For me, I cannot stand the map. Vampire and BioAssault are also nice maps and as pointed out, popular in NA pugs. I also used to really enjoy RocketCommand, however we can all remember the trebled ping! :(

What might be nice, is a similar thing that was used in the league, 2 maps being chosen for rotation as custom and being apart of the "Normal" list, giving freedom to whoever wants customs. Can be a weekly basis rather than monthly?

Just a thought :)

Before anyone jumps on my posts, I am all for new maps, hence my speedrun recordzone, but everyone is entitled to an opinion from map to map.

What might be nice, is a similar thing that was used in the league, 2 maps being chosen for rotation as custom and being apart of the "Normal" list, giving freedom to whoever wants customs. Can be a weekly basis rather than monthly?

That was my suggestion aswell in previous post

Good post, but nothing will change the fact that nalicolony is unplayable. I have a gripe with the gameplay of not of Che's maps I've come to realize.

the thing is:

some maps are not finished as the sign preview shows u

they get put on pug to test em (will always be greatful 4 that Mym) so i can balance/finish em
like i think i did with ScarabSE

BUT i can´t fix/balance/finish them if i don´t get any good feedback as u can see in the map release threads

only i get is "shit map", "why is it on pug?", "this is shit, this is crap" and so on and on
yes i had some thumbs up 4 my work, but in the end it was a drop of water in the sahara from my pov

GRZ was right when he said to me "u waste ur time 4 nothing, cause peaople are ingrate, and ignorant, they don´t see the whole thing, and that things need time and feedback"

and he was right!

it just nervs me that i already have a 60% finished sequel of nalicolony where u start at the bottom of the well of nali1 fight up to a castle and reach a teleport that leads u to the spaceship of arrival, which had already alternate routes and new spawns :o

but no feedback, no finished maps and no more uED .

also@dj, u r right the rule so far was that u were allowed to pick 2 customs as cap as long as the other cap did not want to pick one of his own. i wouldnt pick 2x customs as cap anyway, i like lost temple and i dont always pick it but when i do people always go :clap: on chat
lol01.gif

GRZ was right when he said to me "u waste ur time 4 nothing, cause peaople are ingrate, and ignorant, they don´t see the whole thing, and that things need time and feedback"

and he was right!

Im starting love NALI aswell. From now on Scarab wont be my nr1 map to pick as custom. Nali will be.
People will start loving it. Last time we pld it we even invented doubleflakhammer to generator.
Nali is really good and its both inside and outside map which i like.

If i get to pick 2 custom and captain is not ignorant Scarab will be second pick.

In a year im SURE that NALI will be liked by most.

Actually also Dungoens i picked ALOT in the beginning and ppl hated it for some reason. Today its picked alot.
You really need to play the map ALOT before its getting liked. Usually it takes like 1-2 years.

Im starting love NALI aswell. From now on Scarab wont be my nr1 map to pick as custom. Nali will be.
People will start loving it. Last time we pld it we even invented doubleflakhammer to generator.
Nali is really good and its both inside and outside map which i like.

If i get to pick 2 custom and captain is not ignorant Scarab will be second pick.

In a year im SURE that NALI will be liked by most.

Actually also Dungoens i picked ALOT in the beginning and ppl hated it for some reason. Today its picked alot.
You really need to play the map ALOT before its getting liked. Usually it takes like 1-2 years.

NaliColony is an OK map, but I don't think it quite has the balance right.

Start - similar to Ballistic, except you can't rocket shot the Hydraulic, and getting into Nali nest is much harder than Ballistic nest. You can set hammers over the wall, which makes the objective possible, but attackers can easily get bogged down and feel stuck if the defence has their tactics and teamwork right. There are simply less useful options here for attackers compared to Ballistic.

Bomb - I like this objective: almost impossible to defend for long, but breaks things up a bit.

Train - basically a huge open area with no cover to launch, and no alternative routes for attackers to go. I hate that pretty much the whole defence can see you at the same time - no comms are needed for defence, and it's just a big one-sided melee. Again, it's very easy for attack to get bogged down, and with nothing else for attackers to try if that happens... except maybe spawn laming when a defender opens their low spawn door for you :whatever:

Switches - one of the better objectives. Attackers can go either side and do some on-the-fly launching, and after the first run it's hard for defence to keep up the spam because they spawn far back enough.

Chains - these are not bad; I don't think they're meant to be held for ages really. I like the way Che made it so you can rocket shot them, but there are huts and stuff in the way, so you have to get somewhat close to the Chains to get a good rocket-shot angle. I don't like that attack can take the Castle objective easily on first run, and get a slightly better spawn straightaway.

End - you spawn next to rockets, and can rocket launch someone straight to last objective. Three attackers push low to distract, three attackers take turns launching each other at spawn. Too easy.

Last edited:
You can rocket shot the generator, sphere. Just gotta get to the rockets :)

My biggest issue with Train is that in addition to everything Sphere said, it has huge fps problems.