Android.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sneez

Jun 11, 2001
About to buy an Android phone, my eye fell on the HTC Desire HD. Which looks nifty.

Couple of questions, as I'm a total noob on this area.
What to watch out for? I just want a phone, and be on the bandwagon so I can update my Facebook to tell the world what I'm eating atm.

The sell guy said it has Android 2.2 on it, is this a good version? Aren't new versions coming out soon? (I've read about gingerbread or something?? no idea.) But I'm guessing the Desire HD can also run gingerbread.

So, any tips/hints you guys got when buying an Android? Also on the device, I guess the HTC Desire HD is pretty good? (battery length, performance, etc?) No idea on all those things, any help appreciated! :D

Thanks for the URL, I'm still confused though. It seems 2.3 got a lot nifty options which are neat, including power management and the lots, but HTC Desire HD Won't run 2.3 ? That's pretty shit then?

I'd probably wait for Samsung Galaxy S II or HTC Sensation as well. They will both be more powerful with dual core processors - No word on battery life though. The Samsung will also have NFC - don't know about the HTC, and both will have Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which indeed has nice improvements. The HTC will also have higher resolution. I think they're scheduled to be out in about a month.
The thing about Android versions is that its up to the phone manufacturer to decide whether they want to upgrade the OS on existing phones. So far i think its pretty common to see already released phones get at least one version upgrade. They usually come out a fair while after the version is released from google, because of the customizations the manufacturers make to them. The other alternative is to buy a HTC Nexus S, which is the google reference platform, which will always get updated first, but without any fancy addons to the GUI.

Cool, thanks. Problem is: I've been waiting quite a bit now, and now I have to wait even more, and when the Galaxy S II or HTC Sensation is released, even more neat stuff will be upcoming next, this way I will be waiting for eternity :D! But for now it seems it's better to wait, dual core processors, Android 2.3 etc. Pff

Yeah, I've been having the same problem lately, it always seems like something even better comes up when I'm just about ready to buy a new phone. And mind you, i have a Nokia 8310 atm! However Samsung and HTC are the big players in the Android smartphone market, and I'm pretty sure that Galaxy II, and Sensation will be their next flagship phones for a while like HTC Desire, and Samsung Galaxy S have been. HTC Desire HD, and HTC Incredible were really just refreshes of their current phones with no big new features.
I'd say wait a month, buy a Sensation, or Galaxy S II, and you'll be good with the best smartphone out there for a while, and maybe even an Android 3.0 upgrade, when they make it smartphone compatible.

^Agreed with doh and seas. Dual core is gonna be such an improvement and it would be really worth the wait. The LG Optimus 2x also has dual core, but still tends to have some sloppy problems. If you go for the HD or any current phone, imo you are going to be disapointed. Better to wait for the Sensation or the SGSII to be sure of having one of the flagships for the coming 6-9 months.

The main thing i've noticed on any device is that it requires as least 1 hard button that's used for back/home etc. Forget soft buttons or any sort.

I find it frustrating to use anything which doesn't have the tactile input for these buttons as they can be accidentally pressed or not easily be pressed without looking when needed.

But I'm an iPhone user who's had to use someone elses Android device for a few days, and theres a chance I might replace full time with Android myself soon. It's what I'm looking for - usability.