Sony's NGP

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

BRaiNRaiN

Crusading against smileyspammers!
Jun 8, 2001
Next Generation Portable!

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.
Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including “”LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics and video from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite.

Technical Specs:
  • CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
  • GPU SGX543MP4+
  • External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
  • Screen
  • (Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
  • Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
  • Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
  • Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
  • Sound Built-in stereo speakers
  • Built-in microphone
  • Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
  • Location Built-in GPS
  • Wi-Fi location service support

Games Shown or Mentioned (Titles Not Final):

• Killzone
  • Uncharted
  • WipEout
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Call of Duty
  • Resistance
  • Little Deviants
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

What are your thoughts?? :D

Attachments

• 5392125499_17dc28d396_o.jpg
    5392125499_17dc28d396_o.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 102
Isn't This some phone/handheld device, n gage ring any bells?? If its not too expensive and can play ps3 quality like its claimed.......i might buy it

Well there's a difference between the Experia Play (aka PSPhone) and this one. The Experia Play is some new PSP1, you can also phone with.. That's kinda like the NGage I think.. Only much slicker and you dont have to use it like you're phoning with a taco! But don't know if there's still a market for that, when you know that this NGP is coming as well? Perhaps when they include the Android Market?

The PSP/Phone thing was apparently something else, its reasonable to expect a fair degree of overlap in the technologies in portable gaming and phone devices.

Looks like a bigger PSP to me
Spec wise, looks like it has some nice touches but I'll wait to see what they charge for it first. Cant see how it can do PS3 quality on a small screen, wouldnt that be kind of pointless?

why mushy? :P
nice XB! Im such a fan of uncharted!! But im not really into handheld gaming.. So I don't know!

Last edited:
Looking good, ps3 graphics and touch screen!

But, I got a feelings its gonna cost like £400.

They Say its going to be sold at a loss, I'm guessing £330 on launch, dropping to £290 3 months later. As sony usually do. if its really ps3 graphics then I might get it for that price

I can never get around to playing games on touch screen, it's stupid to me. I want real controllers nintendo 8 bit style on a portable! Call me old fashioned or whatever but that's how I roll.

Take that back!! TAKE THAT BACK!!

I'm just jealous really :<

oh hi rest of people, yeah sure.. next generation sony handheld wooh! right? right? no? right!! wooh!!

Take that back!! TAKE THAT BACK!!

I'm just jealous really :<

oh hi rest of people, yeah sure.. next generation sony handheld wooh! right? right? no? right!! wooh!!

:lol:

I've lived with people who have PSPs and DS' and I was like "ooh cool" but got bored quicker than I do with whatever games are on a new phone when I get it.

Best game on DS is when you shout the colours at it, but that hardly requires the technology within.

I wonder which kind of anti-piracy they will have built in this time. The ps3 wasn't cracked (for mass) in years, but the PSP is in the top of cracked consoles.

1173457634_d5yix-L.jpg