V-brake vs disc

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
i decided to start biking again (nothing too serious, just as a hobby).
so during the last days i "revived" my old MTB (which stood approx. 5 years in my cellar) to new life.
well, it nearly works as it should (just the shifting system is bitching abit, but nothing too difficult).

Now some question refering the braking system came into my mind.
Over one decade ago i changed from Cantilevers to V-Brakes, which gave me a benefit in braking force.

So does anyone have the experience if the difference between V-brakes and disc braking systems are worth the extra money i would have to spent?
I am not the hardcore dirt tracker or need high performance brakes, but i wanna be able to break safely when the wheels are wet / abit muddy.

Until now my V-brakes (which are quite good tho) made no big problems, but i alrdy experienced less effectivity when the weather is abit unfriendly.

while we are at it: anyone can advice a safe, not too expensive and cool looking cycle helmet? Lost mine due the years.
Oh and this is not an option :P

Just gone from V to Disc. I think the main advantages are easy of taking off wheels and time between changing pads. Performance seems much the same, though I found it easier to make my v brakes sharper.

If you're happy with V brakes I don't see much point in changing.

aye. Gonna stick with V-brakes for now. It's useless to upgrade my hardtail bike with discs anyway (even when its possible)

Planning to buy a new "fully" bike with disc brakes this summer tho :).
Any recommendations? (Price limit about 1500 euros).

About the helmet: THanks for the link Meteor. .i suppose the best is i visit a cycling shop to test how a helm fits

Last edited:
aye. Gonna stick with V-brakes for now. It's useless to upgrade my hardtail bike with discs anyway (even when its possible)

Planning to buy a new "fully" bike with disc brakes this summer tho :).
Any recommendations? (Price limit about 1500 euros).

About the helmet: THanks for the link Meteor. .i suppose the best is i visit a cycling shop to test how a helm fits

Not sure how your terrain looks where you are cycling. There are bikes with a full suspension but incase it is not needed you should stick to a hardtail with a front wheel suspension.

Last edited:
@meteor: i live near the french border. directly in a forest area (pfälzer Wald). Actually i am 4 mins away from every MTBikers dreams. :) So i am driving only through forest, up and down mountains.

So it would be needed, but boy, fullys are pretty expensive. Adviceable fullys cost 2000 bucks and more. :x

disc v's V Brake... if i were upgrading i would go with discs... end of story, but if your looking to update you bike soon anyway, i wouldnt waste your money. the advantages of discs are way more than you would think.

If you actually buy a new bike in summer, anything other than hydraulic discs aint worth considering imo.

Will try and remember to look at the options out there for 1500 euro soon.

When I was last looking, Chris Boardman was producing some nicely specced bikes with full suspension here in the uk, dunno if they available over europe tho... was seriously considering this one myself for a while....

When i was looking, there were no reviews on these bikes as they were too new to the market, there prolly are now tho, but right now, i cba to look :p:

Last edited:
Had a nice biking day today. drove this morning and (after meal) in the afternoon for several hours overall.
Well, my stamina is nearly zero (no sport for about 7 years), but it'll get better.

Anyway, i gonna get a new bike. Mine is too old and shitty. Noticed it today.
Had problems with my V-brakes today (a stone stuck in one brake and increased the wastage of the felly) and the shifting is still bugged.

i am not willin to spent over 2000euros for a bike, so i'll get a hardtail.
Saw this one:
http://www.canyon.com/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=1802

Any good? It's a Misch-Masch of All mountain (which i prefer) and Marathon.
Review say its good, but maybe you guys know anything better.

I would use extended handlebar handholds (grips). You can use more hand grip positions while you are cycling.

For example hand grips.

Other than that I think you do not need to search for more bikes than your selection. :)

Now you can start cyling. :D bike fun

bought it the last week and will get it tomorrow. Added some extra stuff so it costed about 1100 euros.

Strange: there is a dirttrack for bikes in the wood 5 mins where i leave. ffs didnt knew that for years!!!

V_2009_Intertitle.png

Got it since approx 4 weeks. wicked bike. Pretty light and quality components.
discs are different from V's, but when you got used to it it's fine. Imho you've more control how much you break with discs :)

Still using my old bike from time to time when i am too lazy to clean the new bike after a wet and dirty biking day.
Pitty the rims from my old bike are through soonish :(