Mice

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What mouse do you use?

• Total voters

Mushroomhead

I'm so sorry I made a mistake!!
Feb 1, 2004
Behind You
I know I've made a million of these posts but my MX510 has officially died, and noone sells it anymore, so I'm fucked.
Have read some reviews of the new logitech mouse vs the razers and most of the time razers won, but they look completely difference shape/size and I dunno if I'd get on with it. whats the difference between a diamond back and a copperhead anyway?!

So, what do you use?
why do you like it?
what should I get?

Don't wanna spend much more than £30 mind, unless you can gimmie a good reason why I should.

I got a G5 and totally love it.
The grip is good and with the custom weights you make it your own perfect mouse, my previous mouse had 1 teflon patch missing thus it was a bit uneven. With this mouse I've put more weight to the right, thus kinda simulating the dodginess of my previous mouse. Plenty of buttons and the logitech software allows you to auto-change profiles for games, that way you can set and use all the buttons without switching stuff around.

Also you can change sensitivity on the fly in-game, great for switching around depending on the weapon you wield (like for sniper put it way down so its more accurate).

Overall, it's the perfect mouse for gamers if you ask me.

TBH not much different between the G5 and 518.

I use a G5, my brother has the 518.

I prefer the g5 texture, it doesn't stick as much and I think it glides better. Obviously you have as Lex pointed some weight functions, however I don't use any. Also the mouse wheel is really smooth, it doesn't stick and sometimes after hours of use you notice the wheel bends or gets dirty and sticks to the side of the mouse. G5 I don't have this problem.

The profile option is good if you have many games and use different settings for those games however isn't a big deal either.

I dont like MS mice because I feel the buttons are flimsy and feel cheap.

I used to have an old Razer mouse and I just couldn't get used to the shape and I didn't like the lack of buttons (Granted I haven't read about those new versions you posted) - but for me shape is very important.

I would recommend G5 personally.

I got a G5 and totally love it.
The grip is good and with the custom weights you make it your own perfect mouse, my previous mouse had 1 teflon patch missing thus it was a bit uneven. With this mouse I've put more weight to the right, thus kinda simulating the dodginess of my previous mouse. Plenty of buttons and the logitech software allows you to auto-change profiles for games, that way you can set and use all the buttons without switching stuff around.

Also you can change sensitivity on the fly in-game, great for switching around depending on the weapon you wield (like for sniper put it way down so its more accurate).

Overall, it's the perfect mouse for gamers if you ask me.

do you have 2 buttons on the left side like on the 510/518? I read a review saying they took it off, but some pictures show it with both?!

do you have 2 buttons on the left side like on the 510/518? I read a review saying they took it off, but some pictures show it with both?!

The G5 has 1 side (thumb) button.
There is a new mouse by Logitech out called the G9, I guess you mixed it up with that one.

Never used a G9 before, but comfort-wise the G5 looks nicer I think..

About 8 months ago, i replaced my MX500 with a MX518 gaming mice, so i was in the same situation as you are today.

I took the Mx518, because i heard that some former logitechusers weren't satisfied with their Razor models, and because the G5 had just one thumb-button back then.

As conclusion i can say that the Mx518 is a nice mouse.
It's light, slides quite well, the mousewheel is good (more silent than my old Mx500), and the configable DPI-values are very handy in some situations.
Handlingwise i couldn't realise any big differences.
Well, the MX518 is abit lighter, but overall it feels like any other MX5xx mouse in your hand.

In my opinion the only negative point of this mouse is the material of the holographic surface.
It isn't rough enough and feels abit too slippery. Due that material i've to clean this surface every 3 days, because you'll notice any tiny piece of dirt on it.
Some comments even mentioned that this material causes sweaty hands. Until yet i couldn't notice that.

After you spent some years with a MX510, i advice you to buy whether a Mx518 or the new G5 refresh.
Which one? hmm, difficult question.
If you don't mind to spent 20 bucks extra, i would choose the G5 refresh.
Not because it has some DPIs more (you can't notice that anyway), only because it has an other surface and lasertechnology.

if you don't care about lasers and the slippy surface, go for the Mx518.

same goes for the MX518.
With the SetPoint software you can enter profiles for games aswell, so that's even possible with a Mx518.

There are two versions of the G5 out there.
The first version had just one thumb button. After logitech realised that people want to have two thumb buttons they made a second edition, called G5 refresh.
Compared to the new G5 refresh (the one with two thumbbuttons!) the MX518 is cheaper and performs almost the same.
The G5 series uses Lasertechnology, the MX5xx series is on optical technology.
Lasers are superior, because it can handle more surfaces, but tbh i never had problems with my 518 yet.

Last edited:
G5 2007 edition. It took me 2 weeks to adjust to this mouse after my last which was a Logitech VX that cold not handle the abuse it got...

I found out after years that you can be happy with a mouse that fits to your hand and plays good in the game you like to play includes the button design and the mouse weight and a mouse precision that helps your needs.

I have played also my best q3 battles on dreamcast console with a ball mouse from Sega followed by Pc ball mice and sensor mice followed to the newest manufacturer products. The main point is and will be the player itself.

Last edited:
the newer G5 has 2 thumb buttons

i use it now, but when i started with it i had trouble to get used to it ..

nice mouse now tho :P

Switched from 510 to 518 a few years back, very similar mice, probably the preferred option if u cba to spend much or to get used to a different shape.
If I were to buy a mouse now I'd probably go for the G5 or the Steelseries Ikari, which is meant to be good aswell.