Wiiiiiiiii

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Was I really that lucky to get my wii on the release date? :o

I ordered it at a local gamestore 3 months before the release and a day before the release they told me there prolly wouldn't be a wii avail for me. So that same day i went to a gamestore that just opened some days before and ordered it there and it was all good :)

Got my Wii on releasedate aswell without any preorder. :p:
Just went to Media Markt really early. :)

Nintendo could force retailers not to bundle the console with games VERY easily .... but it won't because it will affect their profits. So saying they are against bundling without actively doing anything against it is them just trying to maintain a squeaky clean image, lying to the consumers /fans and passing the blame onto those nasty retailers! So what exactly is your point Lex?

I don't know what the fuss is about nintendo are a company which needs to make a profit to stay alive and maintain research into new designs etc

if a retailer is selling you a wii at 300 quid nintendo don't make that extra profit its just the retailer bumping the price due to availability or "importing'. If bundles are all that are available then thats because all the separate consoles are unavailable, it does not make good business sense for nintendo to keep a shortage in the market now as they depend on sales to stay alive, they are not stupid they know its only a short period of time before the buzz of the wii dies and sony / microshite develop wii"like"remote controllers and once the ps3 game developers get there act together the ps3 will take a huge amount of sales.

I don't know what the fuss is about nintendo are a company which needs to make a profit to stay alive and maintain research into new designs etc

if a retailer is selling you a wii at 300 quid nintendo don't make that extra profit its just the retailer bumping the price due to availability or "importing'. If bundles are all that are available then thats because all the separate consoles are unavailable,

No one said that Nintendo see the profits from bundles. If Nintendo were serious about being "against bundles" they would pull the Wii from the retailers doing it, but they don't want to piss the retailers off.

it does not make good business sense for nintendo to keep a shortage in the market now as they depend on sales to stay alive, they are not stupid they know its only a short period of time before the buzz of the wii dies and sony / microshite develop wii"like"remote controllers and once the ps3 game developers get there act together the ps3 will take a huge amount of sales.

This thread alone proves it makes sense to keep a shortage. Just look at the replies after my post complaining about stock .... 4 or 5 people reply saying "I've got one". Now, if I was a kid I would be crying at my parents just now that I HAD to have one of these consoles too. The problem is that after a certain length of time people get bored of trying to find one. Nintendo have been very clever to ensure this doesn't happen e.g. the timing of the Mario Galaxy (possibly the only reason some people would buy a Wii) release was perfect as it came just as interest was starting to drop, then with christmas a few months later .... very clever Nintendo.

Hmm ... I think it's called hysteria and it has driven Ninetendo's stock prices through the roof. In the last 2 years in the UK Nintendos stock has gone from about 100 to about 500. The reason it hasn't dropped yet is because if you go on the internet forums or talk to people there are still millions of people that want one and can't get it. As soon as Nintendo ramp production to satisfy demand then the interest and hysteria is lost and Nintendo's stock price will fall again. (Probably around February / March I would sell)

Nintendo ONLY make consoles, they HAVE to make as much profit off the back of the Wii as they can so they are obviously reluctant to build more expensive production plants when the mass hysteria is still riding high a year after limited stock was announced. All in all Nintendo have been very clever and I would have thought more of the lefties on these forums would be annoyed at the capitalists!

Nintendo could force retailers not to bundle the console with games VERY easily .... but it won't because it will affect their profits. So saying they are against bundling without actively doing anything against it is them just trying to maintain a squeaky clean image, lying to the consumers /fans and passing the blame onto those nasty retailers! So what exactly is your point Lex?

My point is that you are paranoid and see conspiracy theories everywhere.

This thread alone proves it makes sense to keep a shortage. Just look at the replies after my post complaining about stock .... 4 or 5 people reply saying "I've got one". Now, if I was a kid I would be crying at my parents just now that I HAD to have one of these consoles too. The problem is that after a certain length of time people get bored of trying to find one. Nintendo have been very clever to ensure this doesn't happen e.g. the timing of the Mario Galaxy (possibly the only reason some people would buy a Wii) release was perfect as it came just as interest was starting to drop, then with christmas a few months later .... very clever Nintendo.
Wear tinfoil clothing much?

Wii Shortages Costing Nintendo 'A Billion' In Sales
Nintendo set to pull ads for sold-out Wii
Reggie: Wii shortages "highly unfortunate"

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
"And anyone who suggests that a shortage is good for business really doesn't understand business. We want the consumer to walk into any retail establishment and find the product. And that’s what we're working tirelessly to make happen."
I'll give you a hint: He's talking about you joko.

Hmm ... I think it's called hysteria and it has driven Ninetendo's stock prices through the roof. In the last 2 years in the UK Nintendos stock has gone from about 100 to about 500. The reason it hasn't dropped yet is because if you go on the internet forums or talk to people there are still millions of people that want one and can't get it. As soon as Nintendo ramp production to satisfy demand then the interest and hysteria is lost and Nintendo's stock price will fall again. (Probably around February / March I would sell)
Right, because if you sell more and more... stocks drop. That always happens, just look at Apple stock prices.
The added picture is from releasedate iPod till now, as you can see it's totally plummeting as they sell more and more.. oh wait.

Nintendo ONLY make consoles, they HAVE to make as much profit off the back of the Wii as they can so they are obviously reluctant to build more expensive production plants when the mass hysteria is still riding high a year after limited stock was announced. All in all Nintendo have been very clever and I would have thought more of the lefties on these forums would be annoyed at the capitalists!
Wrong. Nintendo also makes games. Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development.
While Nintendo is the only one making a profit on their console itself (as opposed to MS and Sony), they still need to sell games for most of the money.

Get your facts straight.

Attachments

• apple.GIF
    apple.GIF
    25.2 KB · Views: 106
This thread alone proves it makes sense to keep a shortage

I agree and disagree with most of your last post Joko before christmas I would have whole heartedly agreed with it but now after the main sales period is over and the buzz around the wii is slowly fizzing out plus other manufacturers are catching up with the wiimote idea it does not make good business sense for nintendo to maintain a faux shortage in the market place as it really wants to shift as many as possible that or its doing an Apple (which has worked for apple for 20 years) and keeping stock low and maintaining a buzz because its about to release an updated product such as a WiiHD or a Wii Media Centre or maybe a WiiHD Media Centre..

I think the Wii is unique at the moment because it appeals to young and old people christmas day I was playing golf with a 5 year old a 17 year old a 30 year old and a 80 year old it has a larger appeal and its cheap.

the xbox 360 on the other hand really is a great console with great graphics and good games (assassins creed is great) but it really is aimed at the "gamer"

the ps3 is all power but no games and imho just not worth the money though im sure it will grow into the most popular as it has more games and the price drops just like the ps2.

the wii though does less and is less powerful but hte game play is great because its fun and encompasses more than just sitting on your arse. it also isnt designed to look like a futuristic "thing" its just simple and small which again makes it more appealing in a living space than the other 2.

Last edited:
lmfao!

1. "Nintendo only makes consoles", ok poor word choice and easy bait for a perdantic person such as yourself. My point was that they don't make TV's or operating systems or anything else like sony and microsoft. Maybe you didn't have the presence of mind to realise that or maybe you just thought it made you sound clever.

2. Do you really expect Reggie Fils-Aime to admit his company is taking advantage of customers and retailers and is not willing to invest the adequate funds to build more facilities to meet demand? George Bush told you the Iraq war isn't about oil, I'm sure you believed him, after all it was in the newspapers so it must be true! :lol:

3. Stock prices. Once again you missed the point . If Nintendo had met demand on release and in the first 6 months after, their stock would peak much earlier and probably lower than it has done. They realise there is only a finite amount of time before people lose interest and they don't want to saturate the market too quickly. True there are arguments from both sides on this and I can appreciate your point but I don't see what they possibly need to do that takes more than a year in order to increase production.

p.s. don't tell anyone but if you make people think you are going to be very successful your stock price will rise very rapidly even before you sell anything, THEN you start meeting demand and maintain your high stock prices as buyers have faith in you. Do you know how the stock market works at all?

As for the head of a major corporationg slating people for trying to figure out why they can't buy his product, it sounds like someone is getting defensive to me. "Agree with me or you know nothing about business", no thanks I have my own brain.

4. They are clearly not working tirelessly to meet demand ... A YEAR ... thats 12 MONTHS ... and they still can't even meet PREORDERS in the UK, imagine if all companies worked like that, the world would be a disaster.

Finally lex, how about having an independent thought of your own instead of regurgitating what the online newspapers shove down your throat. Are you actually naive enough to believe everything newspapers and the heads of coporations tell you? Quite frankly I see why you think the way you do but what makes me laugh is that I'm sure you would be on the other side of the fence if you didn't have a wii sitting under ur television. So, I won't continue to argue lexical issues from previous posts or even begin looking for counter news articles from biased online publications and blogs to feed your argumentative nature.

Edit: Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit btw :thumb:

Last edited:
I agree and disagree with most of your last post Joko before christmas I would have whole heartedly agreed with it but now after the main sales period is over and the buzz around the wii is slowly fizzing out plus other manufacturers are catching up with the wiimote idea it does not make good business sense for nintendo to maintain a faux shortage in the market place as it really wants to shift as many as possible that or its doing an Apple (which has worked for apple for 20 years) and keeping stock low and maintaining a buzz because its about to release an updated product such as a WiiHD or a Wii Media Centre or maybe a WiiHD Media Centre..

I agree, right now and over the next few months it's certainly not a good idea, but for the previous 12 months it has been a well planned and executed lesson in marketing for the rest of the companies.

If I ran Nintendo I would suddenly release a mass of the things at the end of February / March so that all those lazy / busy / non-persistent people left in the market who still don't own a Wii but "would get one if they're readily available" go out and buy one. Thus saturating ur market substantially, then release press statements about the Wii2 (if there is one) being ready for next Christmas.

Well I agree with you joko.

The reason they haven't raised their production capacity might be because of the high investment. They now make a little profit on every wii sell, but maybe with the extra investments to increae their production capacity they can't compensate for it and they'll have to raise their prices. (which is also one of the major advantage nintendo has over microsoft and sony)

Just a thought of course :)

I was watching some vids on gametrailers, when I came across this one:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29966.html

what interests me in this video is a short scene (at 0:12) which shows you all the characters that are playable? Do you reckon this is the full list, or is it perhaps another fake? looks very real to me!

what i see from left to right, top to bottom is:

1st Row
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Mario
3. Luigi
4. Peach
5. Bowser
6. Yoshi
7. Zelda
8. Link
9. Midna
10. Ganondorf
11. Link (Windwaker Form)

2nd Row
12. King K. Rool
13. Donkey Kong
14. Diddy Kong
15. Ridley
16. Samus Aran
17. Hyper Mode Samus (or Dark Samus)
18. Pokemon Trainer
19. Pikachu
20. Lucario
21. Jigglypuff
22. Mewtwo

3rd row
23. Wolf
24. Fox
25. Krystal Fox
26. Meta Knight
27. Kirby
28. King Dedede
29. Wario
30. Ashley
31. Ike
32. Macaiah
33. Marth

4th row
34. Sonic
35. Mr Game & Watch
36. Pit
37. Ice Climbers
38. Captain Falcon
39. Black Shadow
40. Ness
41. Lucas
42. Olimar
43. ???
44. Snake

but who is 43.?

I thought the character screen was regarded as a fake, although I could be wrong.
I could seriously not care less about characters like Ridley or King K. Rool though, I somehow doubt they'll be in the game.

my wii has been slowly dying in the corner of my room ever since i got my ps3 :(

i plugged it in the other day and noticed the difference, unplugged 4 mins later.

#43 is olimar&pikmin

That would be a cool roster, but i doubt it, mainly cause ashley is in it

#42 is olimar afaik..

but anyways, why would gametrailers show us any fake stuff. I'm sure they check their sources before they publish anything important. Besides it's a total different roster than the one before and all characters looks real to me