UT3 Tweaks!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ba]V[sE

Mar 13, 2002
Sweden
Well since many dont have high end computers and still want to have stable fps, tweaks are always
fun to work with. Still this is a beta and some stuff doesnt work that well yet, some really heavy
fps drops on some maps. BUT to get decent FPS you also have to have a stable ground to start with, I suggest
you to lock at this XP and Vista system optimization guide: Tweakguides

Post what you find and I will update this first post for easier access! :satan:

First patch for UT3, 1.1: Epic DL

-----------------------
*Update 2008-01-02, 11:42
New driver from Nvidia only for UT3
ForceWare Beta Release 169.28
(for customers experiencing issues with the retail version of Unreal Tournament 3)

*Update 2008-01-02, 11:09
Use different nick than login name!
Everybody has noticed the semi big flaw inside the ut3; the inability to change your nickname. This poses a problem. Not only is it more then likely that your nickname is allready taken, it also leaves the door open for kiddies mass regging nicknames in order to annoy others. While epic have still to reply on the numerous forum requests to fix / change this there is still another way to change your nick:

Dont log in.
Open up console and type..
Open IP address(ex open 123.12.12.123:7777)
then type SETNAME xxxxx

Be adviced: UT will use it's default settings as defined in the various config files if you change your nick this way. Either play it with those settings or change the default settings to your liking.
*Update 2008-01-02, 07:18
UT3 Tweaker Program v3.5
Unreal Tournamanet 3 Tweaker version 3.5 is an utility which allows you to set up your UT3 exactly as you want it to. With this utility you don't need to use any notepad or external text editor for UT3 config editing, just run this aplication and set it up in an user-friendly dialog window.

Download UT3 Tweaker

Changes in 3.5 version:

Enhanced Graphics controls
Greater Control over the graphics tweaks has been added, allowing you to tick to enable or disable individual settings which are relevant to the Graphics.

Glossary
Whats the point of trying to tweak if you do not understand what the values mean? we at Biopaparat appreciate it can be a little daunting at first, which is why we have included a Glossary to explain what the graphics tweaks do.

World Detail slider bar decreasing no more!
We found the bug which was causing the world detail bar to decrease in game. this has now been ammended so please feel free to apply "Max Graphics settings" without effecting the World Detail.

The Application also detects your current settings.
somthing of which was causing confusion in version 3.0. before you would make changes, save them and close the program, and when you relaunched the application, they would no loinger be ticked, even though the changes were still applied. With the release of Version 3.5 it will detect all of your settings, including the colour of your crosshairs for example, and adjust the GUI of the application accordingly.

threepointfive.jpg
*Update 2007-12-30
Custom White dot with a small small shadow
Go to Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

and open UTWeapon.ini -

under each weapon section add the following lines -
bUseCustomCoordinates=TRUE
CustomCrosshairCoordinates=(U=476,V=29,UL=5,VL=5)

screenshot00000vo0.jpg
*Update 2007-12-24
Completely remove mouse acceleration, New way*
Here are the settings that need to be changed;

in UTInput.ini:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
LookRightScale=0.000000
LookUpScale=0.000000
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
Bindings=(Name="MouseX",Command="Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MouseY",Command="Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
... (^- as neXus said)
Bindings=(Name="LookUp",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="LookDown",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

[UTGame.UTPlayerInput] <- same thing in this section as playerinput.
LookRightScale=0.000000
LookUpScale=0.000000
Bindings=(Name="MouseX",Command="Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MouseY",Command="Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="LookUp",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="LookDown",Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-25.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+40.0 AbsoluteAxis=0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Adjust your MouseSensitivity with this console command;

set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity <x>
<x> = a number
*Update 2007-12-18
UT3 tweaker Program!!
Brad.G has coded a tweak program that edits the ut3 ini files, with easy options instead of looking in text files!
Link: UT3Tweaker

*Update 2007-11-26
Nice guide from Ultron which contains high fps settings and also high quality settings etc..
There is also good links to other guides in that post!
Ultron´s UT3 tweak guide

*Update 2007-10-23
TweakForce releases new GFX driver
XG163.76 Driver for Windows XP 32/64bit. Newer games like UT3, COD4, Stranglehold and Timeshift require this newer driver for best results.

*Update 2007-10-21
The Real Deal In Tweaking
Tweakguides have again made one of the best tweak section for UT3, enjoy!

*Update 2007-10-20
PlanetUnreal FAQ and tips!
If you want to learn more about UT3!
-----------------------

ALL *.ini files are located in "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo"
NOT where the game is installed.. AND always say NO to update files when prompted after changed made!

FAQ from Epic forums
Epic posts about common issues!

Supported drivers! (note* not any lower than this is supported!!)
NVIDIA ForceWare 163.71
ATI Catalyst driver 7.9 (with the exception of 9x00 cards, which should use 7.8)

Use Geforce 6 and 7 series?
Hitch bug for these cards, this happen when a new object is rendered for the first time.
1: Open the UTEngine.ini
2: Go to [Engine.ISVHacks]
UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=False <-- Change to True
Fix for XP 64bit and windows server 2003

Patch link

UT3Demo.exe md5sum: 9ac494f243bdd6d71c2d612d8d98fba3
CONSOLE COMMANDS
open ip?password=xxxx /--- connects directly to an ip address, replace xxxx with the password
stat fps /--- shows your fps
stat net /--- shows network information
setsensitivity x /--- change your in-game sensitivity, replace x with a value

Actually tweaks

REMOVE START-UP LOGOS
Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini

Add # before line force UT3 to skip the load of movies.

#StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
#StartupMovies=EpicLogo
#StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
#StartupMovies=UE3_logo
#StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
#StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
#StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1
REMOVE FPS CAP
Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE (False if you want no limit)
MinSmoothedFrameRate=125
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=125
bClearAnimSetLinkupCachesOnLoadMap=TRUE
REMOVE BLURRY IMAGE QUALITY

[SystemSettings]
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
ScreenPercentage=100.00000
DISABLE WEAPON BOB
Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini

[UTGame.UTPawn]
Bob=0.0
bWeaponBob=FALSE
bLandingShake=FALSE
SHOW DEATH MESSAGES
Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini

[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=FALSE

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=FALSE
LEGO, but u can see rockets and shockballs and u can snipe

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
DynamicLights=False
DynamicShadows=False
LightEnvironmentShadows=False
CompositeDynamicLights=False
DirectionalLightmaps=False
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=True
QualityBloom=False
Distortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=True
SpeedTreeLeaves=False
SpeedTreeFronds=False
OnlyStreamInTextures=True
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=False
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
Trilinear=False
OneFrameThreadLag=False
UseVsync=False
UpscaleScreenPercentage=False
Fullscreen=True
AllowD3D10=False
EnableHighPolyChars=False
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=0
ShadowFilterQualityBias=0
MaxAnisotropy=0
MaxMultisamples=0
MinShadowResolution=0
MaxShadowResolution=0
ResX=1024
ResY=768
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000000
FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=1.000000
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=0.000000
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=384,LODBias=1)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=384,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
Cristal clear look
If you have 100+ fps worth a try, really gives the game an extra edge! :satan:
Ingame

Processing Intense
Texture detail 5
world detail 1

UTEngine.ini

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
CompositeDynamicLights=True
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=false
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
QualityBloom=false
Distortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=True
SpeedTreeLeaves=False
SpeedTreeFronds=False
OnlyStreamInTextures=True
LensFlares=False
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
Trilinear=True
AllowD3D10=True
EnableHighPolyChars=True
DetailMode=1
ShadowFilterQualityBias=-1
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultisamples=1
Throw weapon
setbind backspace throwweapon (work offline)
Remove acceleration
DefaultInput.ini
[UTGame.UTConsolePlayerInput]
bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE
Pictures of different settings
Gamespot made this overview ingame settings, really nice!
Fast way to see the difference between the level of settings 1-5.
Force Resolution
Open UTEngine.ini
change the values "resX" and "resY" (ex. 800x600)
then , do the same in xCompatx
then make them "read only" !
Offline Vehicle Summons
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_fury_content /--- Summons the Necris Fury
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_darkwalker_content /--- Summons the Necris DarkWalker
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_nemesis /--- Summons the Necris Nemesis
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_hellbender_content /--- Summons the Axon Hellbender
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_cicada_content /--- Summons the Axon Cicada
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_paladin /--- Summons the Axon Paladin
summon utgamecontent.utslowvolume_content /--- Summons the Slow Volume Cube

Summoning these might mess up your config files - so back them up before trying
more to come.. :satan:

Last edited:
tweaks.txt file
leechers gtfo ;F

meep @ quakenet

next time ask for permission, I'm on limited bandwidth here :(

:satan:

yeah played some tdm pickups today on a dedicated swedish server, was really fun imo.
This game is fast when you learn it! :satan:

nice thread :) but I have some weird problem, every time I change my controls for my weapon binds, movement etc, and next time I start the demo it's all gone. very annoying that I have to set the keys everytime =/

nice thread :) but I have some weird problem, every time I change my controls for my weapon binds, movement etc, and next time I start the demo it's all gone. very annoying that I have to set the keys everytime =/

Yeah I had the same problems until I noticed i changed the wrong ini file.

You have to change the ini file in: My Documents.. (Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo)
NOT where you installed UT3, like C:/Unreal Tournament 3 Demo/etc..

And when you have changed the ini file always press NO for update outdated files
if prompted. Its a built in in UT3 to recognize changes in the system files, so dont say yes, it will use defaultsettings.. :satan:

Ba]V[sE;1424919 said:
Yeah I had the same problems until I noticed i changed the wrong ini file.

You have to change the ini file in: My Documents.. (Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo)
NOT where you installed UT3, like C:/Unreal Tournament 3 Demo/etc..

And when you have changed the ini file always press NO for update outdated files
if prompted. Its a built in in UT3 to recognize changes in the system files, so dont say yes, it will use defaultsettings.. :satan:

Cool, thanx mate :D I was doing it in the game itself :)

[EDIT] Hmmm which .ini should I be editting then? I've looked through all of them, could maybe possibly be the one with the bindings, but I'm not sure how to edit those

Last edited:
lo, i've had some really big problems finally to get this game working :/ now my screen is fooked, when i reboot i cant see the bootscreen, xp loading and so on, it just sais: DIGITAL Out of Range 64.4kHz/56Hz, my screen is on 60Hz in windows, but i dont know how to change it in the Ini's, and why did it 'destroy' my screen :/

lo, i've had some really big problems finally to get this game working :/ now my screen is fooked, when i reboot i cant see the bootscreen, xp loading and so on, it just sais: DIGITAL Out of Range 64.4kHz/56Hz, my screen is on 60Hz in windows, but i dont know how to change it in the Ini's, and why did it 'destroy' my screen :/

specs?

Last edited:
right sorry, XP, 3.4ghz, 1024mb ram, nvidia 6600gt, got a LG226 Flatron Wide monitor

If you cant see bootscreen, xp loading etc it has nothing to do with UT3 settings. Must be some resolution you have set on the monitor for sure.
You have a LG226 Flatron Wide monitor you should use res: 1680 x 1050 and 60hz in windows.

You can also set that resolution in UT3, all LCD monitors should use their native resolution, BUT in UT3 there is a tweak you can use.
Set right resolution (1680x1050) in UT3 but reduce 100% screen percentage (ingame setting) to lets say 50%, you will still have right resolution for monitor
but not that high quality. This I have been told because I have CRT myself, but worth a try imo. :satan:

Sidenote* there is problems with so big lcd monitors in games because you have to use that high resolution to get sharp picture..
and force you to have real powerfull gfx card.. gl

i'm using 60hz and the above res in Windows, that problem only started when i installed UT3 and it crashed => making me reboot pc, but now it stopped crashing though :P, the digital out of range stayed for some reason ...
I cant run that high resolution of UT with those specs ??