XPC Query

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Danus

cinnix
Aug 22, 2002
Cardiff::Wales::UK
I was thinking of making myself a decent XPC for use at home and LANs. I was wondering if i bought this would i be able to fit in a radeon 9800 pro? if not maybe i wont get it but it looks very good for size issues, i can carry my rig with no problem to any LAN i go to.

This is the XPC i want to buy

Here is the card i will probably get

Also i dont know if it is a good idea or not to have an XPC, i have a strange feeling that maybe i will regret forking out to buy one..

am i right? what are the pro's and con's?

be a healthy community and give me constructive feedback asap :)
thx in advance - danus :)

thx mym - i dunnol if i will need anything extra tho hmmmm.....
what about heat? is it ok in that area?

( btw my rig is noisy as fuck neways, i learned to sleep with the noise... almost like it isnt there to me :) )

You MAY have problems with the PSU, 200w isn't much and a 9800 Pro does suck the juice, I have heard people have had problems with high end gfx cards in XPC's. I would recommend one of the newer XPC's with 250w+ PSU's, just to be safe.

I had no problem with a 9800 pro in the couple of shuttles I built up, however I have heard that some ppl did have problems like Phear said mainly coz of the psu.
Noise wise they arent bad, they just arent quiet, the variable speed fan can have a mind of its own sometimes.

BTW just noticed, why would you get the SN41G2 rather than the SN45G2? the 41 is onboard gfx and is the slightly older nforce2 chipset not the ultra spec and so doesnt support 400fsb processors.

When in doubt regarding the PSU get a Shuttle Silentx 250W PSU and replace the standard PSU( its also way more silent than the standard one). Also I suggest replacing the heatpipe fan with a more silent one. Btw: I got a Shuttle SK41G ... not the fastest one but you can get it for (relativly) little money and the Radeon 9800 runs fine.

according to this 250 wld be the recommended minimum, but it wont require 250W because no component will run at 100% rite?

or shall i just dish out for the silentX psu whilst im at it?

Danus said:
according to this 250 wld be the recommended minimum, but it wont require 250W because no component will run at 100% rite?

or shall i just dish out for the silentX psu whilst im at it?

Well its always good to have a little powerreserve. Main reason why i bought it was that its way more silent tho. The thingie is not cheap either.... Maybe just try the standard PSU first and if you run into some kind of trouble you can always replace it.