XP weird stuff

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Twonko

Love God
Jun 8, 2001
UK
Um I installed a legit copy (eventually). Seems nice enough for an operating system. But....

The Help Centre installed in a weird directory and the Start menu icon won't work and the target can't be changed. So I had to put an icon on the desktop. Not that I need it much u understand:P

If I leave ICQ 'maximised' while I play UT, when I exit UT, ICQ takes nearly a minute to sort its gfx out and lock in position.

On a fresh boot, UT still locks up after 15 seconds, just like under ME. I figure its a plug and play prob but I'm buggered if I know what. Sometimes Ctrl-Alt-Del works, sometimes it doesn't.

Media player won't play music CD's.

Sometimes when I plug my camera in, some menus lose most options (not greyed out, fucking gone, reboot brings them back)

And another thing. Both XP and the add on pack had to be copied to the HD before they would install OK. All other s/w seems OK.

Other than that, all seems well. The ICQ thing really pisses me off.

Any ideas techie ppl??

yeah, what cru said
only final release microshaft prolly made was notepad

anything else, well the first few releases u should consider beta.

Yeah first time i tried XP i upgraded from 98 and had so many lockups, program crashes and errors i formatted straight away and vowed never to try again......then i got the full fersion and made a clean install and i must say its been brilliant...the only prob i has was the sound on UT and now theres drivers to fix that...in fact i have no reason at all now to go back to any other os.

Last edited:
Clean install Gen. Generally I'm pretty happy with XP. Its a damn sight better than 2000, which I use at work. The gfx error is the same as the one I got with ME, so not the OS at fault. Wouldn't want to go back to 98 now.

Originally posted by Ace
yeah, what cru said
only final release microshaft prolly made was notepad

anything else, well the first few releases u should consider beta.

uhm even notepad they fucked up

Try WinXp Pro edition the final release.
then download the detonator drivers for your graphicscard.
go to www.sblive.com for the latest soundcard drivers for XP.
then wait till icq releases its XP patch and u should be fine.
for some daft reason when u reinstall UT aswell it seems to run muchos faster.
this could be me but a clean install of XP and then UT seems to be a very wise decision.