XP startup items order...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Any way to control how your startup items are loaded without using any new software? I just want my conn to start first, then everything else load after it, as my AV is currently stopping my conn from opening and I have to always unplug it then plug it back in.

I can go into that obviously, but I see no option to prioritise some items over others. All I can do is tick or untick, but I don't want anything disabled, just shuffled.

It's possible. Number of ways to do it though; depends on what AV you have and how it is installed (i.e. is it a system service?).

Post moar details plx.

AV is NOD32, starts up before my wireless route adapter can load. Both things are tickable in msconfig but not moveable :\ Sometimes it loads, mostly it doesn't, though AV always loads.

Can the wireless be moved to local machine registry and leave AV in local user registry?
Machine stuff starts first.....but it will have no user to know what wireless to connect to? :-/

How do you know it's the AV stopping it?

My brother has NOD32 and is running a Netgear WPN111 usb adapter, so I just checked with him and he doesn't have this problem.

Anyways, open RegEdit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NOD32krn

Edit->New->Multi String

Call it DependOnService and set a property value of Spooler

This should force NOD to load after the print spooler, which is usually the last thing to load; though if your wireless is on a current user logon instead of system logon, it still may not work.

You could always try setting the nod32krn service to manual startup, then have a batch script wherever your wireless tool is set to start up, which loads the wireless tool, then once loaded runs a "net start nod32krn".

Last edited:
Heh... Is it possible to do this for me too? :D

My uni requires Cisco Clean Access Agent to connect to the network, but Cisco is usually the last program to open (after AIM/MSN/Xfire/etc) which leads to everything getting all obnoxious. :p:

This is the order that Xp loads

1. BootExecute
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

2. Services

3. User enters a password and logon to the system

4. UserInit
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit

5. Shell
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

6. All Users-RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

7. All Users-Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

8. All Users-RunOnceEx
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

9. All Users-RunEx
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx

10. Current User-RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

11. Current User-Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

12. Current User-RunOnceEx
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

13. Current User-RunEx
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx

14. Common Startup Folder

15. Startup Folder

download startupcpl

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

run startupcpl

right click on the nod entry and send it to startup user

which is last to load

use list above to move other entries where u want them

I tried this DB but on reboot it loaded my conn but not NOD32. I looked in taskman and it's running but there's no icon in the tray. Also, when I move them about in the CPL thing it always puts NOD32 first, when I'd rather have it come second. Any ideas?

Don't move NOD32 away from where it installs it to, it doesn't like that.

I would make a batch script like I suggested earlier and set NOD32 to startup manually instead of automatically (through services.msc), then trigger a 'net start nod32krn' from the .bat file.

ok got it sussed and made an exe for you

1) run startupcpl and delete the nod entry

2) run nod.exe and reeboot

simple as that :P

Just to let you know what it does

first it runs a batch file that enters

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ekrn]
"Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn]
"Start"=dword:00000003

Into your registry

this sets the eset kernel to start manualy and not automatically

it then puts a batch file into your user startup folder

That batch file contains these commands

Code:
net start "eset Service"

cd\

cd Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\

Start egui.exe /hide /waitservice

so its 100% safe and working

:)

Attachments

• Nod.zip
    251.5 KB · Views: 43
Sorry this took so long m8, but looking at NOD32 I can't tell what friggin version it's currently using. I've looked in every bit of every tab and the only info I can't get is what version of NOD is being used. Closest I can come up with is by clicking on one of the .exes in the actual program folder, and they all say .exe version is 2.51.8.0 - would this be correct as old version number? Or is that something else? Til I know either way I don't want to try those .exes :\