Xbox360 or PS3?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushroomhead

I'm so sorry I made a mistake!!
Feb 1, 2004
Behind You
Ok, so once again I'm behind the game.

Really up for getting a console now, but haven't had one since the PSone!

Looking at Xboxs and they arent too expensive now, unless I went for the elite. But someone said PS3 is the way to go as its blueray, and it is significantly newer after all.

I don't know much about the console world, so please fill me in.

If I was to get a 360, is the Elite the way to go?
Is the 360 gonna be superseeded soon? It has been out awhile now...
PS3 very pricey, not much hype about it and I don't know many people with them...
Anything little, prices of extras?... controllers, adapters, cables, controls etc...

Cheers for any help!

The simplest way of putting it would probably be:

If you want to play the best games - Xbox 360
If you want the best console - PS3

We have both in the house here, and although the PS3 is really slick it just lacks proper games. I mean, Little Big Planet is the only game released on PS3 that had me remotely interested at all, and that's already a niche-gone-mainstream type game.

Blueray is a bit of a double-edged blade; it increases the price of the console quite drastically, and does add a bit of functionality in the form of larger games (which in turn just means developers using uncompressed garbage to fill the disc up) and the ability to watch blueray movies, but I honestly don't know anyone with a full HD TV to make use of it anyway :x
It might seem like "whoa, cool new technology" but whatever, I don't think Blueray will be taking much marketshare compared to standard DVD's soon. The current price of HD TV's is still a bottleneck for the market and it might not even take off this generation in the first place. Of course I'm just speculating here, I've not exactly spent a lot of time gaining knowledge on the market from that perspective.

All I know is that my brother uses his PS3 to browse YouTube and listen to his shitty hardcore music, and goes on GT5 Prologue ~once every fortnight. My Xbox gets a bit more use for gaming, but still not nearly as much as my PC. I just go for the exclusives and temporarily exclusive games, like Fable 2 atm :P

xbox 360 and get a bit of rockband on the go! Suppose you can do that on ps3, just I don't like to pay more money than I need too :p:

Thanks menace, quite helpful!
Deadboy, any further info on that, that may end up in my PM box would be nice :)

So if I was to settle for xbox, which was my main idea anyway, before someone said "BUT TEH BLURAY!"

Which model is to go for? I'm assuming its between the Premium or the Elite? All I can see of the elite is that it is black :bounce: and its a bigger hard drive, oh and its called elite :bounce: ... yes those market advertising people have got my number :(

Go for PS3 if you have a HDTV, or are planning to acquire one.
Blu-ray is just that much better than upscaled DVD's. Haven't watched a single DVD since I bought my PS3 half a year ago.

And the thing about PS3 lacking proper games?
C'mon, pretty much all the major titles are going multi-platform anyway, not a lot of exclusives left. Just look at Final Fantasy 13 and Tekken 6. :nono:
Or just look at the lineup for November! (I'm going to be broke, lol).

The place where the PS3 draws ahead in the games department is the ability to shove a LOT more content onto the disc, eg. longer stories and higher res textures (GT5:P), and no switching cd's.

I also believe the PS3 will last longer than the X360, since it'll definitely be Microsoft that'll be launching the nextgen console first to keep their position in the console-industry over the PS3.

But yeah, the PS3 can't compete in the price department at all yet, so if you're just going to play games, then go for the X360, but if you want to be futureproof you should go that extra mile and pay a little extra to get the bluray player aswell.

(Tried to be as unbiased as possible). :P

How do hacked 360's get on with xbox live these days? havent looked into it since I had an original xbox and used xlinkkai for that but I would bother with a 360 now if I couldnt use it online although having said that I dont use my 360 much anymore.

For 360s I would def look at premium or elite, difference is included accesories, think its elite: 120GB, hdmi leads, premium: 60GB HD component HD cable.

not had nps but we ALWAYS use original disks for xbox live

and always pull out network when playing backups

if u gonna use backups on xbox live sure they are stealth patched

But as always its your prob if it gets banned / bricked

I bought a couple of rrod ones from ebay cheap and did xclamp trick work fine now so dont lose 2 much dosh even if the ban / brick but saved loads on games ;)

And the thing about PS3 lacking proper games?
C'mon, pretty much all the major titles are going multi-platform anyway, not a lot of exclusives left. Just look at Final Fantasy 13 and Tekken 6. :nono:
Or just look at the lineup for November! (I'm going to be broke, lol).
I only count exclusives ;)
In that regard the PS3 is definitely no longer top dog when compared to the days of the PS2 :\
It all depends on your taste though; but I have a skewed perspective anyway, since we have both consoles in the house and I could theoretically play exclusives on the PS3 if I could standing sitting in my brothers cave ;)
So far I haven't had the urge to pick up any of the exclusives to give them a go.

Mushroomhead: I have a Premium pack deal, which came with Halo 3 (which I haven't played longer than 30 minutes) and GTA IV. I think the elite pack gives you a bigger HDD, an HDMI cable and a black finish. I'm not sure if that's worth it, as my measily 20gb HDD has actually never been close to being full yet. The console can rip music CD's onto its harddrive though, so if you're into custom soundtracks for games in a big way you could end up fillling it up faster than you'd like - in that case I'd go for the elite which has a much larger HDD (120gb I think?)

Why would you rip music cds to the xbox HD? surely if you have a pc then most of your music is already on there and you can just use that for audio with the microsoft media sharing whatnot.
Even that would be simple enough for Mush to setup providing xbox and pc are networked obviously, wireless network adpator for the xbox is a ripoff though.

Why would you rip music cds to the xbox HD? surely if you have a pc then most of your music is already on there and you can just use that for audio with the microsoft media sharing whatnot.
Even that would be simple enough for Mush to setup providing xbox and pc are networked obviously, wireless network adpator for the xbox is a ripoff though.
Exactly - I use the same network cable for my PC to hook up my Xbox so media sharing is not an option unless I transfer music to my laptop and that's already too much monkeybusiness for me ;)
I'm not paying €75 for a wireless adapter, that's just criminal.

You could just do what i did and convert a router to act as a wireless bridge, no way was i paying £60 for a wireless adapter either :lol:

I would get a PS3 aswell, better console. And I like the controllers more.
Only if you dont have much money you should get a (modded)XBOX

Unless your watching blu ray movies, imo ps3 is a) too expensive and at the present time b) not better than the xbox

Still, each to their own tbh :P