Writting CD's

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
OK, heres the situation. I am a n00bie at writting CD's, I don't know what I'm doing. I've got a Plextor 24x IDE (re)writter and I used Nero and the wizard thing to bang a load of CD's out of *stuff* I've downloaded. If I write a CD, and reinsert it into the drive - it won't open or read it. I took my case of vids round to Peebes house last night, and found the same thing happens on his 4x writter. I had to put the CDR's in his DVD drive to be able to view them.

Whats the deal? Why can't a CDRW read CDR's? Its just written the damn thing as well which is even more anoying.

I'm using XP (which I don't think has anything to do with it) and normal CD's work fine in the Plextor drive.

Thanks. :]

very wierd.. normally i find that the drive that make the CD itself always have the bigger chance of reading it, if it has some defectiveness... i dont know why its the oposite @ u.. im using nero in winXP too.. maybe u should try change the write mode.. from mode 1 > 2, or 2 > 1.. and/or change the way it writes (disc-at-once/track-at-once)

Dunno if this is the case, but happened something similar to me and i realised it was due to a failure writing the TOC. After some tries i discovered that writing the cds in dao avoided the problem. But if im not wrong my case was the contrary (i was just able to read the cds on the recorder, and not in other drives). Just give it a try.

cdr`s dont need to b finalized.not finalizing only means u cant use it on a regular cd drive.

This is fucking odd though, cdrw drive should read it nomatter what.Mebby the CDrw`s bio`s needs a update..?

A friend of mine experienced the same with a Plextor 12x IDE, when u try to access the written CDs u cant view them, they are always empty or only showing Audio Tracks (a bit odd for Data Tracks)

I would suggest u replace ur Burner (if it still have warranty) or buy a new one.

BIOS/Firmware Update won´t help, i think the Burner´s Laser Diode is out of calibration. I had the same with a Yamaha 4x Writer a loooong time ago, i just throwed it out of the window :P

I never had many probs with XP, except that sometimes the CD's won't read in other drives until they are finalised. I know that any software which uses packet writing software, like ezcd creator, or anything else that uses DirectCD is more than likely to screw up, mainly because DirectCD is shit and to be avoided at all costs, but Nero should be OK. Also not all versions of Nero work OK with XP. I use version 5.5.6.4, which has been bulletproof so far. I would try another package to start with and burn a whole music CD dao. If that won't play in a music player, your CDRW is probably fucked. I can remember seeing a laser power calibrator somewhere. Might have been in Nero, but I just looked and couldn't see it. Dunno if that would help though.
I used to get a ton of probs with my Iomega drive, but I bought a Philips 16 speed writer for £70 inc and have never had any probs with it. And it seems to read anything, no matter what the protection is. Would have thought Plextors were ok tho:(

Um not much help I guess.

Originally posted by Twonko
I can remember seeing a laser power calibrator somewhere. Might have been in Nero, but I just looked and couldn't see it. Dunno if that would help though.
Only saw that in CloneCD, used for "calibrating" the laser on the current CDR medium for a perfect "burn" ;)

Hrmm, thanks for replies.

If I burn an audio CD and re-insert it into the Plextor drive it doesn't do squat. However, it will play in all CD players I have tried it in - ranging from Sony car CD changers to a crappy Samsung portable radio/CD type thing.

Fooking strange. :\

And if Plextor drives have had the same problem since their 4x version I think they may be bankrupt now.

:confused:

are you using XP ?
I think there was a patch on windowsupdate curing some probems with CDWriters.

checked, yes there is.

Last edited:
This won't help you I'm sure, but here goes anyway:

Make sure you are using the right wizard, audio for making audio cds and data cd's for making data cds. Told you it wouldn't was of no use.

My 16x plextor is working like a charm with Nero, one cd I've made has gone to the cd hell but that was quite my fault, with some *extreme* hd accessing at the same time as I was writing the poor cd. loading 2 games + having 8 IE windows open in win98 proved too much for the poor puter.