Which laptop?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sneez

Jun 11, 2001
As topic title says:
Which laptop to buy?

Everybody I speak to says a different brand:
Acer, Sony, Samsung, MSI, Dell, HP ? (others?)

My budget is 400-600 euro. at least 15" (16" preferred) monitor and a nice graphics card/processor (duo core) to play some games and stream HD movies with.

I'm most worried about which brand to get, because most laptops are kinda the same.
I'm also wondering what is a good processor and graphics card because I don't know much about laptop cpu/gfx's

thanks in advance :>

T4400 is dual core, T6500 is Core 2 Duo (better)

Not really very similar, one has an 18" screen and weighs 4KG, the other 15" and less than 3KG

Medion P6620 NVIDIA GeForce GT 220M, Intel Core 2 Duo T6500, 16.0", 3 kg, 650 Euro

Acer Extensa 5630G ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, Intel Core 2 Duo T5800, 15.4", 2.9 kg, 600 Euro

Sony VGN Vaio-BZ26M Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD, Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, 15.4", 2.62 kg, 699 Euro

Asus P50IJ-SO036X Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500M, Intel Core 2 Duo T5870, 15.6", 2.62 kg, 600 Euro

Another few I spotted, the last 2 (sony and asus) have onboard GPU it seems (?? correct me if I'm wrong) I'd like to play some games on it and stream HD movies so the graphics card must be good.
++ I have no idea if Medion or Acer are good brands, I heared of Acer and Medion but I'm not sure about the quality customer service.

i think acer is a real brand (plus i can say that i am writing this on my acer laptop from 2004 and it is still working perfectly (except for the dvd drive that stopped doing anything useful with discs in 2006 :D but honestly. i am very satisfied and happy with my laptop).

but i think medion is kind of a cheap reselling-thingy. not sure how to put this. but in germany medion is thought of as a way to get a cheap (i am not necessarily saying bad-quality) pc/laptop. maybe it is a different medion tho. not sure. (do you have aldi? they sell medion at aldi here. and imo buying a pc from aldi is even worse than bying one from the big electronics stores (e.g. media markt @ germany. dunno what you guys have)). in such (media markt / medion) pcs/laptops you will normally find lower-end/cheaper/noname-y-er :D components. this is where the good price comes from. but sometimes you might run into trouble because of that (depending on what you wanna do with the device later on - especially upgrading - but in your case that might not be your no1 concern. but for example you could check (if you can find out what kind of mainboard they use) your RAM upgrade capabilities. that could be an indicator.). in such pcs (pcs especially - dunno about laptops) they do use cheap mainboards very often i think. but in the end times might have changed since i heard about that topic the last time.

conclusion: i would go with a proper/known brand name.

about the HD and gaming and gpu and cpu stuff: no idea, sry.
do you understand german from reading it?
then you could try this:
http://www.chip.de/artikel/Intel-Core-i7-i5-i3-Die-optimale-Core-i-CPU_41034323.html
in a few weeks/months i will get myself a new laptop, too, I think. (mine can't play DJs move :D) maybe at that point of time i will be able to give you more qualified input. wanna wait for me?
:deal:

GL with your decision! and let us know about it plz :)

Thanks :D Yeah I know medion and aldi, el cheapo! :D but the components(intel processor, nvidia vid card) shown at first glance are exactly the same as any other brand.

Gonna read the article through google translate. :D