What's Latin for censorship?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector

What? No, I'm asking you, what?
Nov 6, 2001
London
What on earth is going on? Since I came back to the forums I've noticed an increased tendency for the admins to have their last word and lock the thread.

Yes we all appreciate the time and effort you put in but something is distinctly not right.

Why on earth did Thur lock the racism thread? We had Psychotic locking the thread on Spr spam, his own clan, although I see he's since edited the last post he made. There's been other instances as well. Nicely followed up by "If you don't like it then bugger off".

Is this the way you all want to run things now? Isn't there supposed to be some disinterest on the part of the admins. Are you actively trying to kill this community?

Deus ex machine is ok now and again, but it's more like Dies Irae around here these days.

I think it's because any thread posted here, no matter what the original topic, can turn into a flame thread, or just two guys shouting and arguing at each other. And the original thread gets lost at which point the admins think 'ffs there goes another thread to people who can't just discuss a topic maturely'. I don't agree with closing threads all over the place either but I don't think the admins are totally to blame for it.

Well it didn't to that extent but it was heading that way between TexasTom and someone else (haven't read over it to check). Comments like 'you're a racist, face it' or whatever are going to inflame arguments until it turns into a name-calling thread. The whole point of the Political section was to avoid threads full of bs, but it even extends to there because when people feel strongly about stuff they say things they prolly shouldn't have. It's not the fault of anyone who posted in the thread and I wish it hadn't been closed, but then I also wish people would respect the rules of the forum.

{24}Useless said:
Well it didn't to that extent but it was heading that way between TexasTom and someone else .

Well how about deciding on such drastic action AFTER it's happened rather than because someone thinks it's GOING to happen?

If threads are locked because there's a bit of juvenile flaming going on then ALL threads will get locked real fast. And that not only penalises those in the discussion, but also means the lowest common denominator wins out everytime. And then we all lose.

If the admins must get involved so early then maybe their time would be better spent writing warnings and enforcing bans for those that contravene the forum rules, and publicly so. Then at least not everyone suffers and wastes their time contributing to a thread that gets its head cut off to spite its toes.

Well yeah Hector this is what's causing the problem - where to draw the line. It's always the same in censorship and the admins just have to do the best they can, depending on their own ideas of when enough is enough. Unfortunately their opinions won't always coincide with everyone else's in the forums, but it's a tough job that needs done.

I agree.

Unfortunately I feel that it's gone way over the mark. Hence my post. I think it's time for a reassessment of [1] the moderators' personal involvement and [2] their judgement, specifically in relation to the racism thread and by implication the P&S forum and future moderation in the forums.

I think it's simply wrong for a mod to be involved personally in a thread and also to moderate it, it doesn't work, to everyone else's detriment.

if I want to actively kill the community I should close this thread right now because youve dared to post something here that doesnt belong in the league forum. (Correct me if Im wrong on that, but you seem to be arguing about the closing of the racism thread in the P&S forum?) //sarcasm off

I will just move it to a more fitting place, Forum Discussions forum - other than that, I totally agree with Dog. There is quite some discussion going on about what worries you, just its not being done in public.

Nephilim said:
if I want to actively kill the community I should close this thread right now because youve dared to post something here that doesnt belong in the league forum. (Correct me if Im wrong on that, but you seem to be arguing about the closing of the racism thread?)

I acknowledged that and apologised two posts ago Neph.

Nephilim said:
I will just move it to a more fitting place - other than that, I totally agree with Dog. There is quite some discussion going on about what worries you, just its not being done in public.

I know, hence I've not continued the thread on Dog's suggestion. I've zipped it shut!

Hector said:
Deus ex machine is ok now and again, but it's more like Dies Irae around here these days.

Without a doubt the most educated and classically challenged bit of writing I have ever seen on the forums.
I'm sure you've just raised the intelligence level of the forums by 10 notches ;) :P

This might be the last post I will make in these forums. If not for ever at least for a while. I will wrap up the ongoing debate in the moderators forums and then assess the situation, if what I sadly think is going to happen indeed will, I will stick to sixth forums, cuz I truely cba... Any other part of these forums can quite frankly kiss my danish bacon bloated hemoroid infested arse. I have been here as long as most of you, and seen all the bollocks this community have gone thru thruout its lifespan. I've seen league administrators step way out of line, I've seen forum moderators fuck about, misbehave, act as cunts. I've seen a lot of rules being broken a lot of times, hell I've broken a lot of rules a lot of times myself. I've seen things hidden away from the average users which tbh, should have been out in the open. In short, I've seen a lot of mistakes.

Lately however, I've seen moderators and administrators completely unable to act unbiased. I've seen them completely unable to admit to own mistakes publically and I've seen a team of moderators unwilling to take any action whatsoever when this happens. I've seen them unwilling to share with the community they should be serving.

I've quite frankly had it. This community used to be a unique thing imo, the friendships forged here are rare and will without a doubt outlast the league, these forums and ut assault. Imo the thing that made this possible, was alot of people voluntering and acting for the good of the community at large. The community strengthend as forums was moved from ezboard to the current location, as clan sub forums appeared and thruout the whole thing, the league grew and grew. There are people in here I have talked to on a regulair basis for 3 ½ years, some of which I consider as much my friends as real life acquitances. There are people here I have run ins with for 3½ years, tho most have been resolved, as the twats tend to move on and the people I respect stay. I've had run ins with just about all people who have ever been part in administrating / moderating this community and the league from which it grew. I have both been in the wrong and have been wronged in these run ins. And have mostly accepted the final decisions, because I could to some extent see it was "for a greater good". I have been part of the moderator team, untill I asked to be removed, I still don't know why martz haven't removed me from the irc forum, its not as if I haven't asked him :P But to all extent I consider myself an avg. senior user of these forums and have enjoyed fucking about and wasting time here(just take a look at the first few hundred pages in LOL part 2 fs :lol:) as much as anyone(well maybe with the exception of smark, but that guy is just manic fs :lol: ).

This whole prelude to try to explain to you my frame of mind as I am writing this post.

Put very short, I think the moderator / administrator team is way out of touch with the community. I will not point to one incident, partly because it serves no purpose and partly because I am not reacting because of a single event, those that do know me should be able to see that clearly. The main issues here for me are moderator / administrators:

1. Too caught up on their powers
2. Too busy keeping those powers
3. Unable to admit to own mistakes
4. Unable to act impartial
5. Unable to act for "the greater good" when that is in contradiction with their own interrests.
6. Unable to grasp that they are nothing without the community, the community everything it ever was without them.

And might I just add, that this whole thing truely is amusing me, I am not too fussed, I simply wount be part of it anymore. Also I do not think for one second, that the task of moderators / administrators are easy, I have held positions in this community and elsewhere. My work involves a lot of the same kind of issues, I fully appreciate it is not an easy thing, it is however voluntary and should only be taken on if the main reason is to help the community and they have the ability to act accordingly. My decision to step down as moderator, was partially due to the fact that I acknowledge, I can not always do so.

I hope this thread wount devolve into flames, the issue is being debated in the moderator forums and that really is the only appropiate place. You are all free to your opinions and to voice them here, imo anyway, but pls stay in line this one time, because you will be simply be ruining your own position if you don't.

One last point: the rules and regulations are here to serve the community, the community isn't here to abide the rules and regulations.

I will not debate this issue further, and I hope all of you will respect my opinion and choice here.

Reactions: CeCe
There is a distinction to me made between moderators and administrators.

Mods have volunteered, and been approved by the admin and mod teams, to take the responsibility of day to day moderation of their assigned forums.

Admins (Martz, Me, Phear, Mughi, Relax, Arse) don't read every single post, it's impossible. If you have a complaint about the forums, a moderator, an admin, a decision, etc.. you should contact an admin stating specifically where and what the problem is. If it's in the league forums then your first port of call should be Mughi as those forums are run by the League.

It's certainly not something the League Administrators can deal with (with reference to this thread being in League General), and it's not something that the community can deal with.

And Just to make clear because i'm fed up of people mixing up the different teams who do various things:

Forum Admins: Martz, CS, Phear, Mughi, Relax, Arse
Forum Public Mods (1 or more public forum): -CrackKing-, Andy, dog, dragon, Fin, Loneranger, MeetYourMaker, Psychotic, Rich, Smark, sobo, Thuringwethil, UK Warrior, xb7, Xena

League Admins (+ league forum mod rights): Mughi, Psychotic, Nephilim, Arse

IRC Admins: Martz, CS, Phear, doh, Chipz, Rich, Fragme, Deech, Beaker
#utassault operators: Martz, CS, Rich, Dog, CJ, Mughi, MyM
#utassault half operators: Fin, Relax, xb7, psy, ^G^, Nephilim, Happy, doh, idle, UK, CeCe. (may have missed one or two)

Closed - Now that you know where your forum complaints should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.