Warlocks Rock! Advice thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Azard

Jun 28, 2005
i would like to start by saying i am really enjoying the Warlock class. I am currently training in affliction and destruction talents and would appreciate any advice!

If you have any advice to offer guild warlocks please leave it on this thread :)

Skiil Attributes for Warlocks

According to some well experienced guild members (Tardos and another who i cant remember name of) attributes for warlocks to develop are intelligence and stamina, i would like to add spirit aswell as this does help for mana and health regrowth. So when deciding what armor is best, go for those attributes. Hopes this proves tobe useful!

If you have a preference or wish to offer a suggestion please do so.

hehe i started a few days ago with an alt :) Shadowbone a undead warlock :D and i like it more then my 44 tauren hunter Eleador :D
maybe stupid advice but when u go fight a strong opponent always first do your curse (i dont know which u use, like curse of agony which i use) then your affliction spellls and then start doing the damage, and always have a wand with you since warlocks use pretty much mana and when i fight 3 enemies in a row i run out of mana :)

I´m sure theres alot of experienced warlocks out there. Sarthoun (sp grrr) is lvl 60 and skrelt had a lvl 60 lock on silvermoon. I´m sure you can ask on of tehm for advice

Warlocks build according to Azard

Warlocks build according to Azard
Taking inspiration from other posts I decided to share the techniques, skills, spells and talents I have decided to develop for my warlock class.

Attributes: (with enhancements) bold attributes will be my main focus of development

Strength 31
Agility 35
Stamina 82
Intellect 81
Spirit 106
Armour 576

Attack pattern and spells used:
Attack pattern I have adopted: Send minion, curse of agony, corruption, immolate, drain life, drain soul (if soul shard required) or drain life again followed by a rain of fire if required. I must point out that this does depend of the level you are engaged with!!! and never be ridged you have to be flexible and prepare for the unexpected.

After defeating enemy I use the Life tap spell replace mana then top up health with a first aid bandage or healthstone. Remember as soon as you can make a soulstone keep it active with on quests and instance runs!

Talents learnt:

Affliction
Rank 4 Suppression
Rank 1 Corruption
Rank 2 Improved Drain Soul
Rank 5 Improved Drain Life
Rank 1 Fel Concentration

Demonology
Rank 2 improved Imp

Destruction
Rank 3 Cataclysm

Professions

Alchemy 119
Herbalism 150

Secondary
First aid 225

I am finding this build to be quite effective at dealing with all beasts, humanoids etc and I have been killing up to level 31 without too much hassle, and I am currently level 27. I am sure that others have adopted their own styles. If you wish to leave post it please do so.

For warlock players that want to be specc'ed groupbased for instances and also be good at pvp'ing I would suggest putting points in Tree Afflication and Destruction. Players that solo most of the time can look into the demonology tree.

My Tree:

1. Afflication Tree (24 points):

Supression - 5/5
Improve Curse of Weakness - 3/3
Improved Life Tap - 2/2
Fel Concentration - 5/5
Nightfall - 2/2
Improved Drain Mana - 1/2
Siphon Life - 1/1

You almost never get an interruption during channeling drain life/mana/soul.
The improved lifetap talent is a MUST ! Whenever a warlock falls out of mana all he can rely on is his lifetab and stamina pool.
A cool extra is Nightfall 2 points, then, on regular basis you can insta-cast a shadowbolt which adds to pvpcoolness and single-player gaming. Improved curse of weakness to protect group and self against npc's that hit realy hard, it's also usefull in pvp to weaken the warrior and rogue criticals.

PVP Coolness:

Grim Reach - 2/2
Amplify Curse - 1/1
Curse of exhaustion - 1/1
Improved Curse of Exhaustion - 1/4

Increase range of affliction spells is superfun for pvp, finaly you can start draining on that hunter that's standing on front lines :D.
Curse of exhaustion combined with amplified Curse is now also very usefull in warsong gulch when alliance goes stealing our flag.

2. Destruction Tree (27 points):

For Maximum DMG:

Improved Shadowbolt - 5/5
Bane - 5/5
Devastation - 5/5
Improved Searing Pain - 5/5
Ruin - 1/1
Intensity - 2/2

PVP coolness and also must for instancing in my opinion

Pyroclasm - 2/2
Destructive Reach - 2/2

3. No points in Demonolgy.
Even with no points in Demonology you get the Sacrifice spell on the Voidwalker. As our last effort of protection, sacrifice , offers the voidwalker and puts a 30sec immune shield on the warlock which has safed my ass hundreds of times :D

Now, For modifiers on Armor, I think we should get at least 3 different sets and carry those with us all the time on our adventures.

1. stamina set
2. intellect set
3. spirit set

Keep in mind that it is difficult to get setpieces with only 1 modifier on it, most of the time a setpiece item contains more modifiers.

Now on use for these sets:

1. Stamina set: You would use the stamina set when you engage in a fight where you get quite some damage over time.
e.g. Bosses that use AOE or Poision or ... that you can't avoid or shield you from. Usefull in fights where you get many adds and possibly have to take some hard hits from .

2. Intellect set: You would use the intellect set in fights where you don't get much damage. With a big manapool you can keep blasting shadowbolts or searing pains. Very usefull on Boss pulls where you would run out of mana when you would use the stamina or spirit set.

3. Spirit set: Usefull when you're grinding and want to reserve on bandages or food&drinks. Also Usefull in moments between fights or after being rezzed to get you're mana and healtpoints up as quick as possible.

Then on soulshards,

Try to have at least 10-15 soulshards when you go out on raiding because people need summons,healthstones and soulstones.
Other than those, we got the Spellstone and Firestone. The Spellstone is usefull when fighting npc's that cast magic spells, or equip it for the 1% critical chance extra combined with +shadowdmg modifiers and critmodifiers on armor or weapons.
The firestone is usefull when you're all out of mana and melee is the only type of dmg you can do, also when the firestone is equip you get addition dmg points on the firespells like Searing Pain and Immolate. This only applies to Warlock that use Daggers of Swords. Staff users can't use spell- or firestones.

Sarthun

Thank you for your post it has been very useful and imformative. I would like to think one day i will be doing alot of pvp and guild instance runs. In which case you have given me food for thought into respec for my warlock at that time. For the time being I hope that my choice for developing Affliction and demonology talents was a good one for soloing grinding!