UTAStats - Feb 2009

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

'//3iRd(o)

Administrator
Sep 19, 2001
Dorset, UK
Hey - it wouldn't be any fun if UTStats didn't break a server every 6 months, would it? :P

Yes, yes, it's time again to say goodnight to UTStats for a while. It's still currently kindly hosted by pinny; but there is a problem with one of the disks on the server, so in order to avoid trashing the remaining disk and losing it completely, we have frozen updates and are in the process of backing up the data to another location.

Whether this will actually give us the kick up the arse to finally do something about the behemoth that is UTStats and possibly translate the log data into a newer system is another question though. We had little interest from the community in fixing the current system, so having the time and expertise to migrate to a different system is unlikely.

So.. UTAStats will be offline again until further notice.

Update to follow :soon:

note: While we appreciate posts declaring your undying love for UTAStats, please keep chat posts to a minimal; if your post doesn't contribute a way of solving the stats problem, then it will likely be deleted.

Last edited:
What services does it require to be hosted?

Fucking HUGE :rofl:
I seriously never seen any other web app consuming that much of server resources.
Infinite loops doesn't count :P
On the other side i'm surprised it still works at all with all those millions(!) of records in database

Opi is a cheater and should be banned from UTA for being French and refusing to surrender to me.

Question:

Would it be possible to "start over" and delete things such as: Public game records, pug matches, public game users and leave: league matches (from the past year maybe?) and leage users stats. Or would it even be possible to host the old stats somewhere else (such as Thrasher's space) and just host the stats post-pinny's server being back up on pinny's server?

Those are the only work-arounds I can suggest which you guys have prolly already thought of. Unfortunately now I'm all poor and also don't have the leet skillz to fix them myself :( Stats are very nice though and there's a very big portion of the community who enjoys them, so I'd strongly encourage anyone with the skills to donate your time to fixing it as UTA and UTA admins have donated so much time/money to UTA over the past 9 years :)

Public stats shouldn't really be on there. Not useful in the slightest and probably take up more space than anything else.

Similar to Smant's idea. Records stay for 2 months and then are archived or deleted? No one really checks up on stats that are months old so there isn't a need for them to be saved.

iNzanE has some stats for .de servers in ctf NW. That holds 3 public servers which are full 12 hours of the day. Maybe they have a better method of storing the data?

http://www.inzane.de/mod/utstats/

As it has already been said, you might as well just remove the public stats, they don't really show much and I doubt anyone really looks at them on a regular basis. Just keep stats for league games and pugs, and delete them after a couple of months if they are using up too much space.

I think the bottleneck was more the Hard drive than the CPU/RAM tbh. I've always had massive iowait on the server; meaning that the CPU is doing hardly anything, except waiting for the HD to finish reading data.
My server was running 7200rpm HD's too, so that wasn't really optimal in any way for such a web application. I'm probably waiting till SSD's get cheap and get 2 of those. After that I'll probably be able to host the utastats again. Though, this will probably still be a very long time from now, read 'more than a year'. Unless ofcourse someone is kind enough to give me 2 decent HD's. :x

As it has already been said, you might as well just remove the public stats, they don't really show much and I doubt anyone really looks at them on a regular basis. Just keep stats for league games and pugs, and delete them after a couple of months if they are using up too much space.

Delete pugs too, because probably people look at publics/pugs just as often and pug is prolly taking up a lot of space too. You just think people look at pug more because that's what you play and that's what you look at/ people in #utapug link to.

Seriously, it's so pointless to ask for "deleting" stuff, since it's not even possible.
We can only "stop adding" stuff.
And even then, the database will keep on staying huge. So in comparison it makes little difference, hence why we didn't stop adding stuff.
Also just having pug and league matches makes no difference, since it will be big too again in a few years and we'll have the same stupid problem.
The only way to make it better is to change the way the data is imported within the database. But since no one cared to do this over the past 6 months I doubt one will show up now...

So to me personally it seems :wave: utastats.

Not really Smantie, who wants to see individual map statistics anyway? Half of the time people are faking on publics as well. I play publics btw.

Pug statistics are shown as a full game.

I'm sure I'll think of something - as usual :P

As pinny has hinted going through past stats and weeding out matches only would be a ridiculously huge task, so realistically we would only process say, from Jan 2009 onwards, just sticking to pug & league matches.

Will look at it if I have time in the evenings.

Last edited:
I think the bottleneck was more the Hard drive than the CPU/RAM tbh. I've always had massive iowait on the server; meaning that the CPU is doing hardly anything, except waiting for the HD to finish reading data.
My server was running 7200rpm HD's too, so that wasn't really optimal in any way for such a web application. I'm probably waiting till SSD's get cheap and get 2 of those. After that I'll probably be able to host the utastats again. Though, this will probably still be a very long time from now, read 'more than a year'. Unless ofcourse someone is kind enough to give me 2 decent HD's. :x

The disk is only the bottleneck when your system doesn't have enough memory to cache the whole thing.
When it ran on bacon (before it was virtualized) it was just grinding the CPU (but finishing in fair amount of time), along with eating up all the memory.

Doh / Timo:

Can you provide us with an estimate of realistically optimal specifications for hosting UTA Stats? (i.e. hdd capacity, memory, supported structures)