UT screen tearing

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

If you play offline you need to limit your framerate. What you described happens somewhere around 300 fps. It's been discussed before, think it was Taki who mentioned it in these forums.

I used to have real bad tearing before too and I tried different framerate values until it was ok.
I'm using FrameRateLimit=150 and RefreshRate=60 don't put refreshrate higher than your monitor can handle.
Just make sure vsync is off both on your videocard and UT.ini settings just to be sure. I get really bad mouse lag with vsync ON.

B4 actual issue -> got a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW 20" widescreen
the following pic prooves that it's native and also max refreshrate is 60hz.

The FOV on both screens is the same (100), you're also able to see the Framerate on the right.

rate.JPG

I have the same problem as Anti, following I made some screenshots of my different resolutions in UT. 1st in my usual 1280x1024, then in native 1680x1050

Beforehand, my usual resolution (1280x1024) i play UT with, has no problems during the game. It runs fast, I got high frames, it just runs perfect, but as you will see, this resolution is kinda crap. It goes more into the weight although I play on a widescreen monitor already -> looks crap:

1280x1024
Shot1_1280.jpg

1280x1024
Shot2_1280.jpg

It surely is a difference between the 1280x1024 and the native resolution -> much more height pixels / lil more weight pixels, but have a look here:

1680x1050 (native)
Shot1_native.jpg

1680x1050 (native)
Shot2_native.jpg

1680x1050 (native)
Shot3_native.jpg

If you ask me, the native resolution looks more like the 'proper' one, 1280x1024 is biased, just cos of this reason I want to play on native res. But as mentioned b4 I have the same problem as Anti, it gives me a tearing. You can also see that Vsync is off and the Framerate is different on both kind of resolutions. I don't get the offline issue with the speed- in-/de-creasing tho.
Here's my OpenGL Settings in UT for native that gives me the tearing (I use normal textures)

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
NoAATiles=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
RefreshRate=65
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
UseTNT=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=
FrameRateLimit=62
CacheStaticMaps=False
Use16BitTextures=False
ZRangeHack=False
BufferTileQuads=False
SinglePassFog=False
DetailMax=2
NoMaskedS3TC=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
UseFragmentProgram=False
UseSSE2=True

Maybe I did something wrong till here, but I would be glad if anyone still has another idea to fix the tearing (also tried the ideas that are posted here)

Edit: Even if I change both FramerateLimit and RefreshRate to 60, UT shows around 62-65
Edit2: Another issue, I just noticed: UT freezes completely after 20minutes, CPU/RAM is at like 50% both and I can't even close it via Task-Manager...

Last edited:
What i meant is my game speeds up literally, all of a sudden character starts to run with 200% speed ;p

Have the same when playing offline whenever that now happens.

I play with 1980*1200 atn NATIVE res with my monitor. 16/10 format > 4/3 off course. =)
PLaying with VSYNC off as it makes HUGE mouselag. Disabled both in inifile and gfx settings.
Using Dual Core 3.0 and a really good GFX card which makes UT run really STUTTERING with 400fps.
The think how i solved this anti was locking netspeed to 7000 or less. That makses the fps lower aswell and UT runs way smoother still without vsync off.

Try diffrent Netspeeds start with 5000 and see that ur FPS drops alot.

Last edited:
These are my nvidia settings btw. I'm sorry that it's in german but maybe u can filter out summin wrong...

nvidia.jpg

@ Supermic, i set Framerate limit to 150 as suggested and it did fix lots of tearing, although there was still some visible on riv3. It also fixed offline play 'speeds up' ;)