UT fucked '' need help please (seeking Timo or anyone else)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

endgegner

The Saviour of UTA. Worship me as DJ worships sofa
Mar 5, 2006
Boston
UT problem -' need help please (seeking Timo or anyone else)

Sorry if my typing is shit but I´m on a spanish keyboard for some reason

I got UT installed on a friend´s computer and it keeps crashing EVERY TIME you type on LAS (on dzz server) and he´s got a weird very-strong client-side lag where everything was slow. I checked his drivers and he was getting 350¿ FPS with D3D, upgraded to d3d8 and more stable: around 40-72.

I also set the process affiliation to run on only one CPU which helped lower the original FPS insanity, but not much.

The Critical Error he gets when typing on LAS is

GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT!

Code:
History: UObject::ProcessEvent <- (TMale2 AS-OceanFloor.TMale3, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.PostRender) <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <-UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <-Mainloop

He's running Windows Vista sp1
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.00 GHz
4.00GB RAM (seems like a lot for a laptop?)

Video card nVidia MCP67M (what the fuck is this?) driver version 7.15.11.5671 << Don't know if that's the actual video card, this entire computer is in spanish and yo no hablo espanol.

Another friend whom I gave UT to once had a problem with his sound card lagging UT. This friend has Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221.

I don't know what other information I can provide or if I'll be able to provide information later. I hope there's a really simple answer here, so feel free to chirp in with any solutions

Last edited:
And the other thing was that when trying to query the master server list, it took about 1 second as usual to query all the servers, and over 15 minutes to ping the servers (never finished due to my lack of patience at 3:30 in the morning). Don't know if that means anything.

Installed all the client side LAS stuff? - download from the site and put in system folder?

If you have then try starting an offline game with LAS as the gametype, does it still crash?

Installed all the client side LAS stuff? - download from the site and put in system folder?

If you have then try starting an offline game with LAS as the gametype, does it still crash?

I think the client-side LAS stuff should be installed, but I'm not positive. He had all the UTA mappacks which were a part of the package I sent him.

What I'm also concerned about is his crazy client-side lag that makes everything super slow, even though he's evidently got 4.0gb RAM

RAM isn't gonna help much in running UT lol, the main issues are gonna be the graphics card (probably a really shit one since its a laptop) and the dual core cpu. Most of this can probably be sorted by using either the latest d3d8 or opengl, and setting it up correctly. Running it on a single thread will also do no harm, but you've already done that.

RAM isn't gonna help much in running UT lol, the main issues are gonna be the graphics card (probably a really shit one since its a laptop) and the dual core cpu. Most of this can probably be sorted by using either the latest d3d8 or opengl, and setting it up correctly. Running it on a single thread will also do no harm, but you've already done that.

Thanks a lot uZi, appreciate your help man.

I don't know about the RAM, I know some people say that they've got "too much" to run UT properly. I guess that's actually the dual CPU. I used the D3d8 (and the framerate improved from 350 to around 40-72) and I also set the process affinity to only one CPU which only helped a minor bit. I'm kind of hoping a UT genius like MyM or Timo will magically appear and solve everything by making me look like [more of] an idiot [than usual], thus solving the problem once and for all.

AMD dual-core cpus cause havoc with UT, took me quite a bit of trial and error to get UT running smoothly on my old machine. Thats why I was saying you need to try things, for example, try opengl instead of d3d8. I aint gonna do it all for you though, just giving suggestions :P

MCP67M is an nvidia go 7150, latest driver would be here

for the slow down, start UT and then check the UT log file in system folder, near the top of the file check what CPU speed is being detected. If its different to the CPU installed IE 2GHz then its the energy saving stuff kicking in, use an updated AMD driver/turn off power saving/use the asigned affinity UT exe's (found in UTA downloads section)

as for the GPF no idea, Timo is your best bet there. Id check LAS is installed properly (use the umod installer for simplicity) and if he crashes on any other server, may be cheat protection?

After nVidia update he tried it in single player... said it was okay. Tried having him connect to UTA s2 and he got denied.... because he had version 4.32 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sent him a nodelta patch, hope that will fix it all up

:clap:

So much easier to fix if its in front of you, although not in spanish :S

Yeah, I'm not really good at the whole Hablo espanol con UT thing. Thanks for helping out anyways. He updated gfx driver and shut off power settings and got the patch, so everything _should_ be okay now. I'll post in about 30 minutes when I find out I'm a dumbass and it's all fucked still.