Too many clans!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushashi

[ADC] {SUYM} -=E[o]S=- *bwd* [DWAP]
Jan 22, 2002
Denmark
Actually it gets more rediculous as time goes by with the 2K4 clans.

How can you start up a lot of clans that never gets enough members in the end and therefore dies again?

With all the inspiration and good intentions there might be behind it it is no use...
Forget about the l33t clans. It won't happen! You will probably not be able to team up with some godlike l33t players and have a lot of matches like in UT99.
What we can do now is join up with the resources we have and perform a few (but active) clans.

With the few people who plays 2K4 (and not WOW) we have to be happy with what we can get.
Recruiting players from public is not posible. Mostly non experienced player or those who already have been in a clan for a long time and are well settled.

SUYM withdraw from Fraghub due to missing players for matches. Now we try to play some Ons. But I'm affraid the same thing will happen here.

As for AS I think my joining RAe with Halo (former NIL) and 3 other guys would give us a good start.

As for Susje who just made a new clan 'Sexe' (or whatever). Why not respond to Halo's recruiting advertisement instead of making a new clan?

Reactions: Konnan
recruit sum people off publics, quite hard to form an ONS clan from ut99 AS players only. mi5 ONS only has like 4 former ut99 AS players, and like a 12 men squad.

btw 3on3 is more popular nowadays, theres a sponsored tournament kicking off sunday (is full already :\) and esl cup will start next month. so if u cant get 6 players, try 3on3.

for AS, dont ask me :P

more people the better just email me at [email protected] and as for SUYM i do hope that you join over to our 2k4as and if you are after people for your ons team then i will join m8

Konnan said:
recruit sum people off publics, quite hard to form an ONS clan from ut99 AS players only. mi5 ONS only has like 4 former ut99 AS players, and like a 12 men squad.

btw 3on3 is more popular nowadays, theres a sponsored tournament kicking off sunday (is full already :\) and esl cup will start next month. so if u cant get 6 players, try 3on3.

for AS, dont ask me :P

see how ur not counting me kon!

halo said:
more people the better just email me at [email protected] and as for SUYM i do hope that you join over to our 2k4as and if you are after people for your ons team then i will join m8
Halo this is not meant offensivley but have you ever actually managed to recruit enough people into any clan you've started to play wars?

And yes the biggest problem with ut2k4 is people are very rapidly getting bored with it. Hell even I am, I've started playing bunny track again (bizzarely I can now cap some maps I never could previously.) Of my 10 man clan I only ever see a maximum of three of us on one public server at the same time now, when we were first recruiting it wasn't uncommon to see 6 or 7 of us making up an entire team on a pub. I guess you come to the conclusion Epic created yet another epic failiure. The thing is the lack of interest is partly because the leagues (both cb and fraghub) have failed to take off so clanmemebers soon get bored. This means clans become inactive and leave the ladder. Viscious circle or what? Strikes me ut2k4 is already a sinking ship, I've jumped ship back to ut99 for certainly quite a lot of my gaming time now (ut2k4 has kindly wanked up my fragging ability (though I can still launch) so mostly bunny track atm)

Dark said:
Halo this is not meant offensivley but have you ever actually managed to recruit enough people into any clan you've started to play wars?

i have done in the pass and now i have a full css team even tho its not 2k4 but i agree with a lot of people recruiting in 2k4 is very hard so it dose take time. but if you like me i will allway keep trying

Dark said:
And yes the biggest problem with ut2k4 is people are very rapidly getting bored with it.

If we had introduced the nonagon system from the beginning things would definetely have been different. But leaving it to the clans to play when they see fit didn't bring any activity. Nonagon demands you to play 4 matches a month - otherwise you'd end in the bottom of the ranks. And there is no better inspiration than defending the honour of your clan...
Ladder based matches is doomed to fail if you want to create a community that last.

And I disagree with people getting bored with it. There's a lot of players playing 2K4 AS and Ons. The only problem is they have no place to play it as a community for real. I see many clans being performed on publics.
And as for custom maps: There's plenty cool maps. But not many servers runs them. And if they do it always ends up in playing standard maps when the vote comes. Maybe the players are different?

2K4 gameplay is exactly the same to me personally. There's no launching though, but who cares? It's more realistic and harder to cheat. I know the l33t players don't have the same posibilities to dominate as in UT99, but with a little practise you'll find out that fast thinking and sneaky tactics are more important now than before. Teamplay is alpha and omega, and that scares many players away because they are no teamplayers but solo showoffs. I've seen it a lot on public: Even if a team has 1 or two really good players they don't win because they go for personal points. But surprisingly you often see total n00bs win vs a better team. Simply because they go for the main targets and the showoffs on the oposite team are busy getting points.

One thing has been iritating me from the start: All the invisible graphic you keep bumping into. There's a LOT of it everywhere. It confuses you and sometimes ruins your plans. And I'd even say that if you had been able to launch it would never work as in UT99. Well, maybe if you were so damn precise in your movements you had the ability to count every pixel in the map that is.
As for me I don't like having invisible graphics. I want to be able to count on the things I see and not be surprised or limited because my eyes deceive me. You constantly have to investigate the maps and remember those invisible graphics. If you forget....you fail.

But a really good improvement is the double jump. It gives you a really great freedom to move freely and fast. A thing I miss in UT99. This is actually what takes over the role of the launches. If you know how to jump and turn in the right moments you have the advantage.
The other good thing is that ping doesn't matter that much as before. Even with ping on 120 you still have the same advantage as anyone else on the server. That is a bit more fair IMO.

Mushashi said:
If we had introduced the nonagon system from the beginning things would definetely have been different. But leaving it to the clans to play when they see fit didn't bring any activity. Nonagon demands you to play 4 matches a month - otherwise you'd end in the bottom of the ranks. And there is no better inspiration than defending the honour of your clan...
M8... at start the league didnt have enough Clans to form the nonagon system... comparable with the lowest division & holdingzone of utassault.net

so it was a matter of clans getting active and when enough would have left the HZ then the nonagon system would have been set up.

Mushashi said:
But a really good improvement is the double jump. It gives you a really great freedom to move freely and fast. A thing I miss in UT99. This is actually what takes over the role of the launches. If you know how to jump and turn in the right moments you have the advantage.
Sorry, but here i totally disagree... double jumps is so stupid and unrealistic... worse than launching... and i really hope it will not be in the next Unreal Tournament.

Felerian said:
M8... at start the league didnt have enough Clans to form the nonagon system... comparable with the lowest division & holdingzone of utassault.net

so it was a matter of clans getting active and when enough would have left the HZ then the nonagon system would have been set up.

Sorry, but here i totally disagree... double jumps is so stupid and unrealistic... worse than launching... and i really hope it will not be in the next Unreal Tournament.

If you had introduced the nonagon at once there would have been activity right from the start. And activity is what draws people towards a tournament/league. The 'forced' activity would have kept the league running. Think about it.

The dodge jump is very realistic. If you have practised kung-fu (as I have for many years) you'd know this move is essential and very easy when you first have learned it.

Popioul said:
plz make a video of u dodge jumping!!!! i wanna see that! i cnat imagine how one would do that irl lol
yeah... i wanna see that too!

Hehe, I doubt I have a video of it. But if youpractise a bit you'll learn.
May take some years but you'll get there in the end :D

Mushashi said:
If you had introduced the nonagon at once there would have been activity right from the start. And activity is what draws people towards a tournament/league. The 'forced' activity would have kept the league running. Think about it.
It was impossible to run the nonagon system as there isn't enough clans. Thats what Fer said, and it's true. Instead of nobody playing, we'd be just have lots of forfeited matches that nobody played in.

It was always the intention to run it when we had enough clans and some interest. We don't have either at the moment.

I don't know, but using nonagon all the way would still have ensured activity.
In the way that the clans in Div. 1 would have to play each other many times each month, but still be active.

Mushashi said:
I don't know, but using nonagon all the way would still have ensured activity.
In the way that the clans in Div. 1 would have to play each other many times each month, but still be active.

I AGREE ... IF it was possible. And it wasn't! We wanted to use the nonagon system as soon as it was POSSIBLE .. And it wasn't. :/

But one thing you have to admit...

by leaving... you dont make it better...

it doesn´t help at all to leave and say "we will be back when there is more activity".

What was SUYM supposed to do?
In the beginning we had a fair team. But already after a month we were too few players at each match.It continued and we split up in two groups more or less with Ons and As interests on each side. Those who fancied a mod only played the other as an 'act of mercy' to help out.
Then we tried to go for Ons only. And maybe if we are lucky we can field a team here. But the generel activity niveau is very low. I actually think I am the only one who plays 2K4 regularly now.

But I've decided to play As in RAe with halo and some other guys. Maybe we can make a good/full team then. Let's see.
RAe also has CSS interests, and that could probably be a problem. Two game types seldom works well along each side.