search function

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ice

Oct 15, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
i am one of the users that is actually using it :D

but i can't count how often i wanted to search for an abreviation or file ending, like .mp3 etc and got the "word you are searching for is too short". sometimes you know who posted something and you just need to remember a short word from the post to find it. couldn't you at least allow 3 word searches, because it would make searching alot easier.

Reactions: Martz
ive found a problem, lisiting tips and tricks forum i wanted to read old posts so i set for last 100 days, first page showed up np, when i clicked on page 2 it reverted back to 30 days and showed the first page again :(

Reactions: Martz
Ice said:
i am one of the users that is actually using it :D

but i can't count how often i wanted to search for an abreviation or file ending, like .mp3 etc and got the "word you are searching for is too short". sometimes you know who posted something and you just need to remember a short word from the post to find it. couldn't you at least allow 3 word searches, because it would make searching alot easier.

The way the search engine works is that it doesn't put words shorter than 4 letters into the database. Currently the search index contains 4.2 million entries, if I change that to 3 letters it would jump to maybe 6+ million, 2 letters, 10+ million etc. The greater the size of the search index, the slower searches will be. So its this reason there is a limit, to balance performance vs search ability.

It was the same in vB2, however with vB3 I can add some words to the list like: UT, uED, mp3, php, vB, AS which are then indexed and allowed for searches. So if people would like to reply and provide a list of things they would like to be able to search for but can't, I can add them to the list and rebuild the search indexes overnight so they are searchable.