Problem AND fixes.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

zombie

Dead Man Walking
Jun 9, 2001
Andover(UK)
Problems AND fixes.

This is a NO SPAM Thread.
No CHAT (if you would like to talk about something in this Thread, then you will need make a new Thread)
If you would like to add to this thread,
Please add Problem and a Fix

Last edited:
Problem.
Occasionally users may encounter problem that there is no sound output from the Windows system especially when trying to playback
a Flash based contents by installing the latest version of Adobe Flash 9. The symptom is obvious when viewing video clips on online video sharing sites such as YouTube, MetaCafe, Daily Motion, MySpace Video, Google Video and etc. Video can be played back, but no sound, voice, or audio is heard.

Fix.

All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), right click > MODIFY> ENTER "msacm32.drv" in Value Data, ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Keywords: flash, audio, sound, adobe, drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem.
Whenever I stream media on the internet it's all good and fine, except when windows media player handles the stream - the screen is black, but the audio is playing.

This does not appear to be a codec problem, I can play anything else on my machine just fine, it's just streams in media player - and it's annoying as hell.

Fix.
Try downloading Windows Media Centre (I think that's what it's called - includes Media Encoder and Media Editor). And use WMSnoop to check a downloaded streaming file to find out if you really are missing a codec - worth a look.

Keywords: media player, wmp, streaming, blank video

Problem.
Logitech G5 2007 edition, like the feel etc about it etc, In game though I have major mouse acceleration & don't know how too turn it off, help?

Fix.
There is a logitech "eye" in yer lower right taskbar near the clock
double click it
on the left side u have 3 tabs undearneath each other
select the middle one i think
there you can turn of mouse acceleration
or u can turn it off just for games in the one that looks like a tower

Keywords: logitech, mouse acceleration, G5

Lee, may you change the color of the Problem-description.
A gray-blue combination is pretty difficult to read without selecting the text.

And maybe it's good to make a list of categories with links to the problems in ur first post, so everyone just have to look at ur first post, without surfing through the whole thread.
Guess this thread will be pretty confusing when it gains content.
(should have made it in the "Must-have-tools" thread myself, unfortunally it's too huge now :()

Problem.
[Vista / Sound]
You've an older Creative Soundcard (Audigy1 - Audigy4) and use Windows Vista.
In older Dx (< Dx10) games you've only Stereo Sound without EAX-effects.

Fix.

Creative developed a programm called Alchemy, to translate the former DirectSound from older DirectX-games (included until Dx9) into OpenAL Sound commands so all effects and features are supported under Vista aswell.

For X-FI cards this program is for free, when you've an Audigy card you've to pay money.
Alternative you can downloaded an inofficial version with free Audigy-support that worked quite well under my System (Vista Business 32-bit and Audigy4).

edit:
Newer version:
http://forums.creative.com/creative...thread.id=24260&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Update:

Due the public presure and bad image creative seemed to gain, they decided to release teh alchemy tool for free.
Go to creative.com -> driver section -> select your soundcard (Audigy4) then you'll be able to dl Alchemy.

Keywords: vista audio, vista sound, creative audigy, directx audio, directsound

Last edited:
Problem.
With Acronis True Image you can create images of drives and partitions.
Unfortunately sometimes the archive-images are damaged, making it impossible to rebuilt the system with that damaged image.

Fix.
The full version of Acronis has an Image validation feature. When you made an Image it's advisable to check it for errors.

Mostly damaged images occurs when:
- The RAM is damaged -> Use other RAM
- Your disk-cables may be damaged or ain't plugged in correctly -> replace the cables and check all cables for a tight fitting.
- You overclocked the system (esp. when you overclocked over FSB) -> For the Image-creating-process set all values back to default

Keywords: acronis, imaging, true image, image checksum, image corrupt, image validation

Problem.
- Can't choose Hibernation / Ruhezustand under Windows Vista
- Hibernation / Ruhezustand is not visible in Vista-startmenue

Fix.
- Open a commandshell (search-> cmd)
- type "powercfg -h on" (without "s)
- Now you can select Hibernation / Ruhezustand in startmenu.

Keywords: vista, hibernation, startmenu, no hibernation, Ruhezustand

Problem.
Can't use the middle mousebutton in games (like Crysis) with a Logitech MX500

Fix.
The default setting of the Logitech Mouseware software causes this issue.
By default the middle mousebutton is set as universal scroll and some games doesnt support this kind of feature.

Set it to Middle Mousebutton via the Mousewaresoftware and it will be useable in games.

Keywords: mx500, MX500, middlemousebutton, mousebutton, mouseware, logitech, universal scroll

Problem.
The program UT Cache Cleaner doesn't work under Vista.
Error message: tabctl32.ocx is missing

Fix.
Be sure that the tabclt32.ocx is located in the Windows\System32 folder (ofc this counts for the 32-bit system).

If that's the case, you've to UNREGISTER the tabctl32.ocx, although that sounds crazy.

Start -> Run/Search -> cmd
type:
- cd\windows\system32
- regsvr32 -u tabctl32.ocx

UTCacher will run.

Keywords: Vista, UT Cache Cleaner, cache cleaner, UT cache, tabctl32.ocx, missing tabctl32.ocx

Problem: Can't enable RAID on a ICH9R (or ICH8R reg fix is same for both) Southbridge after not enabling it when XP was originally installed. (Windows crashes on boot if you do)

Solution:

Download the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101&lang=eng

1. Put the file somewhere simple, like at the top level of C: \.
Go to Start, Run, C: \iata82_enu.exe -a
(that is if you used my example)

This will appear to run as normal setup, but will actually just extract the needed files to \Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Driver
Note: For 64-bit Windows versions, chose the iaStor.sys from \Driver64\ instead of \Driver\.
Copy the iaStor.sys from there to \Windows\System32\Drivers\

2. Download the reg fix attached and run it, clicking yes where it gives a warning.

3. Reboot the machine and enable the RAID controller in BIOS

4. Boot into windows, you will get a found new hardware box, close it

5. Now run the iata82_enu.exe without any parameters. Once installed, reboot again.

6. Windows should now recognise your RAID controller (It will be in device manager as ntel (R) ICH9 SATA RAID Controller)

Now you can format any arrays you setup :)

EDIT:

This procedure can also be applied to use AHCI too, do exactly the same, but you will need a different reg file (see ICH9R-AHCI.rar and ICH8R-AHCI.rar)

Keywords: Keywords: asus maximus intel southbridge ich9r ich8r raid windows xp bsod crash

Attachments

• ICH9R-RAID.rar
    878 bytes · Views: 140
  • ICH8R-AHCI.rar
    818 bytes · Views: 139
  • ICH9R-AHCI.rar
    918 bytes · Views: 143
Last edited:
This is one which has plagued me since getting XP, so I know well all the tricks to get around it. Not hugely important but maybe worth adding here.

PROBLEM

Windows XP won't let you delete a certain non-system file (usually happens with large files), gives you an error saying the file is in use, even though it isn't.

SOLUTION

This problem has various fixes - try each until one works.

1 - Rename the file, then delete it (just delete a character from the filename).

2 - Create an empty file in the same folder (text document will do), select both the trouble file and the blank file you created, delete both at the same time - this will often delete the trouble file when trying to delete it on its own failed.

3 - Copy the filename of the trouble file, navigate to a different folder, create a blank file (text document again), rename the blank file to have the same filename as the trouble file (including the extension), then cut and paste this new, empty file into the folder with the trouble file. Choose OK when asked if you want to replace the trouble file with the blank one, then delete the blank one if XP allows the replacement.

4 - Create an empty folder in the same folder as the trouble file, drag the trouble file into the blank folder, then delete the folder on its own, thereby deleting the trouble file inside it.

5 - Download Process Explorer and open it. Go to the Find menu and choose Find Handle, type in a part of the filename of the trouble file (choose a part of the filename unlikely to be in use in any other open files or programs), click Search. Click on the correct result in the search window, then right-click on the result this brings up in the lower pane. Choose Close Handle and confirm. Now try to delete the file.

6 - If all of the above fails, just reboot into Safe Mode and delete the file that way.

Problem.
Although you've a Soundcard that supports Surround (Audigy, Realteak, etc) the PC game Mass effect uses only Stereo.

Fix.
If Windows uses the correct speaker configuration (Surround), it's caused by some creative cash cow thingy.
They manually disabled the surround support for thos cards due an ini-file.
So you are "forced" to buy a newer X-FI card.

But you can re-enable surround sound for that game easily.

1. Go to
C: \Documents and Settings\[you]\My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Config
2. Backup BioEngine.ini in case you eff up.
3. Open BioEngine.ini
4. Search for 'noHal'
5. Delete the lines for the Audigy, Realtek
6. Make sure hardware support is on in config and in game.

Keywords: Mass Effect, mass effect, No Surround, No 5.1, Audigy, Realtek

Last edited:
Problem: Windows slows down and / or gives error messages when you try to drag and drop or cut and paste video files from folder to folder (particularly .avi files). Or won't let you move or rename a video because it says the file is in use, even when it isn't.

Solution: Check here for a guide to solving it. I did this the other day and not only have I had no more errors or slowdowns, explorer is much faster. Trust me, it works great :D

Problem: XP pops up a RESTART NOW OR LATER message after automatically updating. If you choose LATER it comes back after another 10 minutes.

Solution: Download this little utility.

I prefer

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Problem. Windows Vista users (prolly other os's too) who use Roxio burning software can no longer burn AVI files to DVD after installing codecs 'cos it breaks Roxios ffdshow associations.

Fix. Download vista codecs v566 from http://shark007.net/