Pope visit

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I dont get why all the fuss.
You dont agree with your taxes going on security for him, quite frankly, tough, thats the way this country works.

I dont like my taxes being wasted on some tyneside numpty that has recently knocked up 12 (or something like that) women and its going to cost 2M, I dont like the fact a lot of money gets wasted on some pointless art or buildings, ppl that claim benefit because they cba, Im sure there are others that disagree with gay pride parades and other demonstrations that taxes go on policing etc, theres lots of things, seems ridiculous to single out one thing whether you agree with it or not, this does benefit some people and more of our money is wasted in ways that benefit far less.
He's not on a crusade, to convert the heathens, he's here for those that cant get to Rome that want to pray with him, thats their choice, let them do whatever they want as long as it doesnt interfere with anything we do.

I do think though, that if a visiting state has the money then they should contribute towards the security of their party and their expenses.

Another way the country works is in allowing people to express their views, including not liking the idea of pissing 12m of taxpayers' money up a wall for the security of someone whom many people don't want here anyway.

MPs waste money on new homes and duckponds and cruises and then lie about it. Don't like it? Tough.
Abu Hamza takes the piss out of the entire country by claiming every benefit he can get his hook on while simultaneously telling anyone within earshot that Islam is the only religion and Britain is a nation of evildoers. Annoyed? Meh.
20billion (not a typo) flushed down an IT system for the NHS which then fails, leading to another 2billion lost in tax credit fraud or errors. Not happy? Too bad.

This just doesn't do it for me. For every person who is happy that the pope is in Britain for this tour, there's someone who's unhappy about it, like me. My sister and I were sitting watching him sniffle and mumble his way through speech after uninspiring platitude over the weekend and we found it hard to understand what fulfilment this could have given anyone. By all means, let him come here. But don't make us pay for it. Or at least take a referendum or something. Who decides that yes, the country still reeling in recession can afford to drop 20m on this? I didn't get that petition through the post.

That's what annoys me. The government should be in charge of public amenities, national defence, etc. I'm used to watching them waste time and money on fucking those things up. But the pope's visit is a religious thing, not a governmental thing, and therefore the last people who should have to fund such a visit are the taxpayers, whether we appreciate his importance or not. Let all the Christians put £20 each in a bucket to pay for his visit. Let it be bankrolled by a private company with a religious agenda. Opus Dei could probably have afforded it. Fuck sake, the pope himself could afford it. But no, here's a better idea, make the grockles pay and then accuse them of being anti-religion if they raise a word of protest.

And I haven't even gotten into what this man represents to someone like me, who isn't religious. A man who decided that the best thing to do with the details of a thousand and one child abuse cases perpetrated by priests would be to not release them to the police :clap: He has the power to withhold that information and the government has to be happy with that? GG.

As usual with religion, I could waffle on about it all day but I won't. All I'm trying to say is that if no-one speaks out then nothing will get done. And Martz is right about Dawkins, even though he comes across as a tosser on TV (Dawkins, not Martz). If the country truly is all for freedom of speech and if Christians are really so open-minded and peace loving as they pretend, let's put 20m together for a Dawkins weekend and watch what happens. I'd put £20 towards that.

Some rich sod was interviewed on telly saying the estimated millions for the pope visit was "good value for money", I wonder if Birmingham City council announced they were going to spend £20m on some islamic leader coming here for a day he would feel the same way?

let them do whatever they want as long as it doesnt interfere with anything we do.

Birmingham City council have made hundreds of people redundant recently but they blow millions on his visit, Id say sorry Mr pope man but we cant afford you as we would like to keep people in their jobs.

And it directly affected people who lived on rose hill and leading up to cofton park as they all had to show I.D. to get in and out of their own homes and they were told they couldnt have visitors for 2 days .....WHAT THE FUCK?

Or at least take a referendum or something. Who decides that yes, the country still reeling in recession can afford to drop 20m on this? I didn't get that petition through the post.

I haven't read your entire rant (just home from work, so blame my work). But you voted for it! (Like I said before in this thread.)

What did I vote for? And dismissing someone's opinions as a rant without even reading them is just a waste of everyone's time. Either argue or don't, but don't just dismiss.

Oh sorry, I thought a rant was just another word for a 'long story', I didn't say your opinions didn't count.

What I ment to say was: I don't know how your political system works, but it seems similar to NL: You vote for a party, and they make a coalition w/e to rule the country (make these kind of decisions). So you voted for it. And if you didn't vote: I have no comment on that.

I have no problem with people voicing their displeasure with the Pope's visit, however I do believe a lot of people are complaining purely about the visit due to the monetary figures that are in the press and I was trying to highlight that this is not the only bad way to spend money but it seems to be the one getting the most press, its a case of some people jumping on the bandwagon which seems much more common in our society.

Im sure I read somewhere that Birmingham council seems to suggest they are spending 80K on his visit and that they are going to get 12M into the local economy directly because of it, sounds like a large amount of spin on that by whoever is arranging but the costs to the local community arent that bad if thats the case, I still think it should still be contributed towards by sponsorship or directly by the state visiting.

Maybe its just me but I would be OK with the inconvenience of having to show ID for a day or two, if its not a regular thing then I'd understand. I was more implying people preaching at you, trying to force opinions or actions upon you, although they are hindering you they arent really stopping your everyday actions but I appreciate your williingness to accept the hassle would also depend on what you think of the visit in the first place.

Last edited:
The problem is, religion (and specifically Christianity) does interfere with people, laws and politics. It costs people their health, their lives, and their capacity to think critically.

It's much more detrimental to us all than compared to anything else I can think of.

Oh sorry, I thought a rant was just another word for a 'long story', I didn't say your opinions didn't count.

What I ment to say was: I don't know how your political system works, but it seems similar to NL: You vote for a party, and they make a coalition w/e to rule the country (make these kind of decisions). So you voted for it. And if you didn't vote: I have no comment on that.

Nah, a rant is like a long, incoherent bunch of shouting, whereas I always make total sense :rolleyes: For the record, I didn't vote for it. No harm done though. Anyway, I'll stop hijacking Martz's post and stfu.

I could join in and write up a real rant, but I wont do a hit and run, I'll just say - What Martz and Rich said.

Glad its over, they closed the M77 for less people than a football match fs. Pointless.