Point system revision - New system - Discuss

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

McNeill

McMastah
Jun 8, 2001
Aberdeen
NEW Point system - READ, Understand & Sign.

Point System revisions

A revision to the loot rules which I believe will make things slightly clearer and fairer is as follows.

GENERAL RULE WHICH APPLIES TO EVERY POINT USAGE SYSTEM DISCUSSED BELOW - YOU MAY ONLY USE YOUR POINTS 2 TIMES IN ANY ONE INSTANCE. THIS PREVENTS PEOPLE WITH TOO MUCH POINTS ABUSING IT AND OBTAINING EVERY SINGLE ITEM THEY WANT IN AN INSTANCE :)

Section 1 - SET ITEM POINTS

When we do instances at our current guild level, we will not include Molten core or Onyxia right now. The instances which ‘count’ are Scholomance, Stratholme and UBRS.

The reason why LBRS is not included is due to the fact it’s generally a 5 man instance and there are not many SET items there.

As many of you already know, there are 8 parts to a given set. We will now give a number to each part of the set. These will correspond to your instance points you achieve by playing instances.

Therefore;

Belt of any set: 1 point.
Boots of any set: 2 points.
Bracers of any set: 3 points.
Gloves of any set: 4 points.
Legs of any set: 5 points.
Crown of any set: 6 points.
Shoulders of any set: 7 points.
Chest of any set: 8 points.

Now, each instance will have a point rating which attributes to its difficulty level.

Stratholme is arguably the easiest instance; it’s also the biggest instance. It has the scarlet run and the baron run. So we will divide the instance.

Stratholme scarlet run (final boss kill): 1 point per member.
Stratholme baron run (final boss kill): 1 point per member.
Full Stratholme run (both bosses killed): 2 points per member.

Scholomance is probably the second hardest instance, it also takes longer than any single run of stratholme (but not both combined) So this instance is given the following points.

Scholomance full run (killing final boss): 2 points per member.

UBRS this is without doubt the hardest of the 3 instances, not as long, but harder. Therefore the points given for this instance are as follow;

UBRS full run (killing final boss): 3 Points per member.

Now we have set the guidelines of the points associated with the set items and the points associated with the instances and their ‘successful’ completion. We will now discuss what this all means.

From now on, all raid leaders, not those assigned specifically in the guild ranking system, but those who decide to lead a guild event. They must take note of all the names of people attending, the instance, the date and time and what was completed (generally in the case of Stratholme)

Each member’s points will be added up. The points are not instance specific, meaning the points can be used up anytime, anywhere, any instance. The only difference is that you will not get your points reduced to Zero like you did with the old system. Instead you will lose the points which associate to a specific set item.

For example; Shiraz has done Stratholme baron side once, Stratholme scarlet side once, Full stratholme run 2 times, Scholomance one time and finally UBRS one time.
This will give me a total of: 1+1+2+2+2+3 = 11 points. I can therefore decide that I want to use my points up on my chest piece in UBRS, which will use up 8 points. This would leave me with 3 points. So as a player, I must choose when and how I want to use up my points.

But it’s not conclusive, what happens if more than one person has enough points for a set piece they want?
The member with the most points for the set item, will get that set piece. However, they will use up more points. For example;

Shiraz has 40 points bagged up. He requires 1 set item which is only worth 2 points. However another priest also has enough points. In this situation, Shiraz would win the set item and lose the points associated with it. Simple.

Now let’s speak about the situation where a specific member has enough points to allow them to take more than 1 set item piece in the same run. This is debatable, however I believe, that the normal loot rules, found here (http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?t=53134) should apply. If you win a blue item, you should be obligated to pass on the next item should another member have enough points to ‘buy’ it - just out of respect for the other member. If the member doesn’t have enough points to buy the set item, then simply the original person can take a 2nd piece of the set. However also keep note, if a player wishes, they may use thier Points 2 times in an instance and take the 2nd set piece as well. Hopefully this won't be done and people will respect the difficulty others have and automatically pass.

Finally, remember these points ONLY apply to set items. They don’t follow the same loot rules as normal blue items. Meaning, it’s possible for you to come out with more than 2 blue items. I strongly urge people to read the loot rules thread, linked above to make sure everyone is clear on this.

I realise this only covers set items. I know there are sometimes weapons people would like. However we will use a system of who requires the item more in these situations. We will look at the member’s weapon; see who will benefit more from an upgrade. When they win that blue, they are not entitled to roll on another “none” set item. Again following the loot rules linked above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 2 - Using points gathered for NON set blue items (specifically weapons)

I'm going to use the case of Ewok in UBRS to explain this; He came to an understanding with the other rogues that if his Shadowcraft tunic dropped, he would not use up his points (even if he had enough over the other rogues) to obtain the item. He has been holding out on his runs for the Dal Rend sword set. He has more points than any of the rogues in UBRS. He has had nothing awarded. The current rules do not cover the issues with weapons or non set item armour (rare) stuff.

Therefore, if an item drops which a specific member REALLY wants. They may override the usual N/G loot rules. A member may claim to use up some of his points he has to gain the item which he has struggled to obtain.

Now you may ask me, how much points does he lose, how is it determined when the set pieces for armour have designated point values (1-8). Simply put, the member with the most points, can buy the item. His points would then be reduced to the difference between the competing member(s). Sounds bit complicated, so lets use an example.

Ewok: 40 points bagged up.
Jbi: 24 points bagged up.

These 2 have the highest points between the competing members.

Both of them want the dal rend sword, but can use it. Both want to use thier points if possible to win the item. In this situation, Ewok wins, he has 40 points, he has 16 points more than Jbi (40-24). Therefore ewok would obtain the new sword and have his points reduced to 16. Where JBI would keep his 24 points. Got it?

If more items drop which people want to compete over. They may again use this method to try to win it. This may not be fair, a member with alot of points may win everything that drops. However at the end of it, they will have no points left and it will allow other members on other runs to overrule him.

Alternativly, if noone wants to use up thier points, it again follows the normal, roll on blue, if you win, you pass on other blues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 3 - Point usage for SET items, which are not your specific class set

This will cover the final part of any problems regarding set items which can be rolled on, I will again use an example to explain what I mean.

I'm a priest, my set is called Devout, Mages is called Magister. It's just the way Blizzard have distributed it. However, all the cloth users can use any of the 3 cloth user set items.

Let's take the example that dreadmist shoulders drop. There is a warlock with us, but they dont require it. There are 2 priests and 1 mage that would like that item. We have 2 options here;

We could 1, all roll, try out luck out and see who will win this item. (You pass if you have won a blue item already, as the normal loot rules clearly state). Alternatively, a member of the group could enforce to use thier points the item.

In this case, it would follow the section 1 class set rules, the person with the highest points will recieve it. Then have thier points reduced accordinly. In the case of shoulders, as written above, this member would lose 7 points.

Last notes, this doesn’t include anything with regards to Molten core and Onyxia, but you can bet that something similar will apply to the epic set items. This area however requires more planning and that will be discussed with the council members over the next few weeks.

Let me also stress again that there is a fundamental difference between the way normal loot works and set item drop loot works. Don’t confuse the two, they work independently 99% of the time, except in that situation above regarding more than 1 set item drop on the same run for a specific class.

--Shiraz

Last edited:
Hey ( omg, dont mind my spelling, its almost 5 here )

Well, its a comlicated system but it looks damn fine. But it requires alot from you mostly Shiraz, since yor came up with the rules and know them best. Also all collectiong and points sums are up to you. I only hope you have some time for play WoW also hehe

And if we are gonna start this new rules today, or we even have, we NEED a "site" where we can see points etc, since today we need to ask you and youre no online all the time. So a up to date list is a must before theese new points are starting to the used. Its really hard to guess how many points etc. a forum post or soemthing as a base to start.

Either way, lets give my view of this. Ive read both old an new rules many time, and some thins am not really clear about.

Scenario1.
Skrelts enters UBRS and a nice staff drops, I get it, win on roll. No points, since no item set. np here. later a set item drops and I wanna use my points...here the trouble, some say, pass since I have already won a blue, but rules say, blue normal stuff are on own rules and the item sets on their own, so that mean...yeah...what? If I read the rules correctly this means I can use my points for that item set, even though I have won a blue, two different rules? or, am I wrong? THis is what I was trying to say(UBRS), but I realise know that its different from item sets and normal blues..sometimes you can mix rules =) cough

I have no trouble with this new rules, only maybe the 2 solutions you have, it makes it more complex then it should, just let the person with most points win, sometimes its unfair, I get that, but nothing can be completly fair, some may win, some may not. and so far...never I have seen a scenario like that..so its only in theory =) so I higly dobut we ever run into that one...2 sets and both with enough points, and no-one have it before =)

and final, about the last "rule", "Now let’s speak about the situation where" etc. ofc, after some thoughts I compl. agree, if you have won one blue item, and another blue item drops, you cant use points for that, even though it may be unfair, since I have loads of points, that only keeps growing, because I cant use them, already gotten one item set.

as I said before, this will, I doubt it, never happen, since it so rare to drop 2 item sets, that many needs, dont have, have points for etc =) so...

and about MC, Onyxia, I think we need "seperat" rules for that...lol..you dont make a MC run like to do Stratholme or Scholo. I dont think points should be used there, since I doubt we will have several runs at it and gather points when other cant join etc.

Doing a point system there will only result in ppl with excatly the same points etc..since, face it, 40 RM members, we need planing, etc...so I think we need something different there..but thats a question for the future and we hav plenty of time..wel..not that plenty I hope =)

So, if you only are ready for this challenge so, its a great system, but mistakes will be make and I bet ppl will argue about points and who will get it and not..its in our nature...

but I support it, full out

ohh, forgot one thing, points only apply to item sets? and only? I cant use points for normla blues, like I could wiht old rules? so basic, I have the right to loot one normal and one item set per run? in theory that is...omg..forget my question...I see it now...blame the clock not me =) /delete

thx /later

Last edited:
This sound like a really nice system, a kind of starter DKP system. It still encourage ppl to do instances for more points, which ofcourse will get ppl to complain about play time and the likes.

But every system that will be put up for everyone to consider will have its faults, we have seen that with the one we have used the last few weeks.

(I had some thoughts about points and stuff also but i kinda forgot them while i wrote, might remember later...)

(Another paragraph removed because of lenght and nonsens of set items being worth different depending where they were located. Every set are to be found in different instances, all cant be found in one after all.)

(And another one about Shadowcraft and Wildheart droping in Lbrs, to few pieces to be a really big concern. Still there are some set items for a few classes here, just very few for casters. =) Maybe a point for completing the Warlords Command Quest as its a part of the Onyxia key chain?)

So after all the edits I say that it sounds nice. This also will give someone a very heavy counting duty to keep everyones numbers updated and the need to have them updated bigger as some do several instances every day. A suggestion I have, as a temporary solution, is to use the forum as Nether did with the raid in Ubrs.

The leader or a chosen representant (spelling?) go in and add a post in the forum. The top post could be updated with an edit each day (or week depending on time and who does it). Points for each Guild member could easily be read by looking at the uppermost post and by scrolling down and see if he/she been in any new instances since the last update. Some simple math would then give the current stats depending on if the member had done any instances or not.

That kind of thread should probably need a disclaimer to not be spammed by others than the intance leader/secretary.

Me as a Rogue have now managed to collect almost the whole Shadowcraft set (YAY, go me!!1!1) and have done so with little to none competition. So all this is pretty useless for me =/. I dont think i have seen it writen anywhere that the points also could be used for blue items. (I've heard it talked about though)

There is lots of blue wepons and other types of Equipments that are popular, some even more so than set pieces, that points could be used for. And to be honest about the current condition of the Rogues Shadowcraft, its horrible. I get better stats from some green random stuff that we pick up from monsters than some of the set items. (Which might be one of the reasons they change it a little with the next patch) But that particular might just be a Rogue thing, and every other class i very very happy to get their set.

It might need a little more thought to work Blue Eq into the system (if its not already done, cant remember everything ppl talk about around me when i kick alliance hinies) But anyway In the end i rack up lots and lots of points for something that i either already have or for nothing. So I guess im just greedy and wonder if I as a sneaky thiving rogue could have any further use for those points? Or should I just be happy that i dont need to use this system anymore as i have my set and should sit in my little corner and be quiet?

Im pretty tired as im writing this so if i have not managed to cover everything and managed to make an ass of myself blame someone else.

/Lunicon one of those really annoying, ranting, stealthy, suicide dudes

we will have to adapt it at some point to include non-set items in my opinion. like Luni said, its a good starter DKP system.

Another thing i thought about, you stated that the person with more points can choose to use ALL his points over the other player, i foresee arguments about this and think it would be a better idea to have a bidding system in place to see who would want to spend the most points to get an item.

example (priests as example):

Shiraz has 40 points
Skrelt has 10 points

Devout Crown drops and both need. 6points per crown, skrelt throughs up his interest as well as Shiraz so its started as 6points- now... Shiraz decides he can spend a bit more so ups it to 8 (uppings of 2 figures maybe should be standard) skrelt decides he wants to spend all his to get it so ups to 10, shiraz has worked harder and got more points, so at this time can choose whether to spend 12points to get the item he needs or let skrelt win it.

------

just throwing suggestions around, but if you put more time in, imo you should have the CHOICE to outbid someone who hasnt.
(figures etc were made up :P)

Read it.. to bad i work soo much only have time for 1 instance run pr day..

Should work fine tho...

Read all of it. It took me some time to understand everything, but I think I got it now. :)