PC sound output through TV speakers

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Do the ATI cards support sound throughput? I know the NVIDIA cards require that your current sound card can output via SPDIF looped through the gfx card.

Might be worth spending a tenner or so on a dvi to hdmi cable, you can get em, check amazon or just Google shop for it :)

Might be worth spending a tenner or so on a dvi to hdmi cable, you can get em, check amazon or just Google shop for it :)

Amazon have them for £2.46 which includes postage too by the looks of things. That one is only 2m though whereas for £5.59 I can get a 5m one plus postage from ebay. Tbh the 2m will probably be long enough, I'm just not very good with distances:D

edit: the one I linked to only seems to be a premium version. The Full 1080p ones are slighty dearer. Will I gain much by going for a full 1080p one considering what it's going to be used for?

Last edited:
unless you plan to play 1080p vid's through it, prolly not. by the sounds of it you card may not be able to run them at that res anyway, but it might just save you a bit of ball ache getting it all working.

You'll still need to bear in mind what Timo said about the sound output or it could be a bit of a waste of time anyway.

with regard to the distance, get a bit of string and run it the distance u need, then get a tape measure or ruler and make sure its long enough :p I've wasted money thinking... oh 20m of cable will be enough, and it wasnt :lol:

edit just re read the post that made me think the gfx card wasnt great, and realised i jumped to conclusions! ignore that comment :D

Last edited:
Do the ATI cards support sound throughput? I know the NVIDIA cards require that your current sound card can output via SPDIF looped through the gfx card.

Many ATI Cards have got an own sound chip integrated which makes the mainboard soundchip unecessary and that makes it really easy with an hdmi cable to have sound over TV.
You will have to have a closer look on the cards, depending on the producer label (XFX, ASUS etc.) since some cards
of the same model do still differ...

I just found some ATI HD 3000series models online for less than 30 EUROS.

/niko

I still think what you were doing at the start will work. VGA and 3.5mm line - this is what these ports are designed for.

Have you tried connecting an alternative audio source to the TV while the VGA is connected and screen visible? like an iPod or something similar?

Haven't tried to connect an alternative audio source yet, no. As it happens though, we do have our neighbour's iPod Nano in the house so could try that on it. Probably stupid question: but I'm assuming the iPod will just plug into the USB port on side of TV?

We do have an on-going problem with the TV that Comet are coming out to look at tomorrow (different issue to this thread) so could turn out to be a dodgey TV anyway.

have to say, the amount of hassle you seem to be having with the TV all in all suggests that maybe there is a problem with it, since the 1st solution posted in this tread about VGA in and 3.5mm jack should work imo. I would be asking the tech guy to look at it and see if there is an issue.

Just as as dumbass comment, but only mention it as I've done it myself, you are connect the PC end of the 3.5mm cable to the right port on the PC? I have 2 sound cards in one of my PC's and have managed to bork it before by pluggin stuff into the wrong one, also have been bitchin on TS that my mic aitn working, when it was connected to the wrong port too, like i say, dumbass question, but worth asking :lol:

Nah, you'd need to use the 3.5mm line in under the VGA port as you would connecting to the PC.

Well connected iPod up by plugging the 3.5mm jack into the headphone socket and the other end into PC Audio In on back of TV and nothing :(

have to say, the amount of hassle you seem to be having with the TV all in all suggests that maybe there is a problem with it, since the 1st solution posted in this tread about VGA in and 3.5mm jack should work imo. I would be asking the tech guy to look at it and see if there is an issue.

Just as as dumbass comment, but only mention it as I've done it myself, you are connect the PC end of the 3.5mm cable to the right port on the PC? I have 2 sound cards in one of my PC's and have managed to bork it before by pluggin stuff into the wrong one, also have been bitchin on TS that my mic aitn working, when it was connected to the wrong port too, like i say, dumbass question, but worth asking :lol:

Well I have tried a headset on both green ports on back of PC (motherboard and seperate sound card) but could only get sound when plugged into the sound card one (don't remember seeing onboard disabled in BIOS but I only had a quick look). Although throughout this thread, I have been trying both ports and both sound devices have their drivers installed.

edit: and I just hope Comet technician shows up this time. He was originally booked to come last Friday between 12pm and 6pm and by 8pm had still not showed :mad:

Last edited:
as I said, get and ATI HD Card Series 3000 oder 4000 Series, for less than 40 euros. They have a Soundchip integrated and all u need is an HDMI Cable then....Ofcourse you need to look for a card with hdmi output port, since there are some with and without it.

should try this out one day..

vga+3,5 jack must work....

well the 9500GT supports s-vid but its not a real solution...

as the 3,5 jack is an inline you may try put and MIC in for test....

and hdmi card and cable is 50€ quit much just to connect the new TFT...

meh so after all this time taking the sound card out and just using onboard sound only fixed the sound problem. The sound card was actually working ok tho:\

edit: but since my PC wouldn't work on the TV either and mine is onboard only, the "software update" that the Comet Technician did today must have helped as well.

Last edited:
so its working now? VGA+3,5jack? so then tell what soundcards you have.... anyway useing the TV as speakers it's totally senseless to use "good" soundcard... onboard will do allright

Yep working now with VGA + 3.5 jack going from back of TV to onboard soundcard. Sound card I have taken out is Sound Blaster Audigy 4. Motherboard using onboard sound is ASUS P5GD1-FM using drivers from Asus website.