Need some help

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

McNeill

McMastah
Jun 8, 2001
Aberdeen
Okay,

My brother has been having some wierd problems recently.

First off all the computer wouldnt boot into windows, it would start up, monitor wouldn't come on and you would hear no beeping.

With some help from MyM, removing some hardware, it came down to a faulty piece of memory (apparently) and we could now boot into windows.

My brother then randomly decided to put the other memory stick, the one which prevented him even booting into windows or seeing the monitor turn on - back in.

The computer started up perfectly, no crashes, no problems for the past two weeks!!!? - okay...

However this morning, when I woke up, I noticed there was no electricity, on the main electricity switch board, the switch had flipped down for half the house.

The computers were turned off last night as usual, so there was no additional electricity running through them, however my brothers computer will not turn on now. My computer, laptop, his laptop etc all fine. However there is no light on the motherboard, no fans spinning, simply nothing.

I replaced the power lead for the PSU and i hear the "crackling" electricity sound as i put it in, so there must be some PSU activity?

Anyway, the computer went from wierd, to working normally for weeks then to not even turning on. Any ideas what is going on?

He has:

GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939
AMD Athlon FX-53 (I think)
1gb ram
X800XT graphics card

Nothing fancy.

Any help appreciated.

Yeah it sounds like the PSU is buggered. This happened to me too and I had to go back to an older one until I could buy a better replacement.

Use a tester to see if thers any resistance in psu, if theres its ok if not just remove it.

Try the PSU which is in the not working pc on another pc.
If the other pc wont start either your PSU is borked, otherwise you have to look somewhere else.

Just see if the fuse inside the PSU is a-ok. By the way, don't try to flip the voltage switch from 230 to 115V. That makes the fuse blow to heck in about 0.001 second after a rather cracking noise.

sounds like the PSU is having a boot-fail sercurity device whitch is not working allright...

i would try to turn off PSU, unplug all, replug all then, switch PSU cord, then power PSu and it should give a activity.... (maybe comp it boot)

Just see if the fuse inside the PSU is a-ok. By the way, don't try to flip the voltage switch from 230 to 115V. That makes the fuse blow to heck in about 0.001 second after a rather cracking noise.

Yeah I did that once in past mate lol.

Tried everything suggested with no avail. Im ordering a cheapish new computer for my brother anyway, about time he got upgraded.

Thanks all.