modem

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

D

dwarven

Hey all I need some help of all the tech dudes here :p I just installed a 56k into my old comp at my mom's home (yes it still had 28.8k :lol: ) and well I put it in the slot installed bla bla. With the 28.8 I used tone so I figured it'd need to be on tone too now. So I try and dial my isp, it gives me a tone, the dial beeps, but the tone never changes or makes any attempt to dial, it's like my modem is dialing but the line doesn't understand it heh. So I think huh? Well pulse then maybe, so I put it to pulse, dial the isp, works fine I get contact with the isp, but my modem won't send out any information then. The isp is sending some desperate beeps this way but my modem won't give out a single blip. So well what did I do wrong? Anyone got any idea since I'm puzzled :)
Thanks in advance!

"The greatest accomplishments are achieved by small things"
-={Mi5}=-][)warven

Re: modem

woops just found out about the general none UT forum lol sorry :p Someone move this topic or something heh my bad.

-={Mi5}=-][)warven

thx

"The greatest accomplishents are achieved by small things"
-={Mi5}=-][)warven

Sounds odd. First off (i'm assuming your in the UK here :p ) you should be on tone dialing.
Try out a different isp, the fault might be their end.
Try the modem diagnostics, control panel, modems, some big button in there somewhere (can't tell you excatly where - no modem on this machine).

Yes all I changed was the modem and I'm not UK I'm netherlands but I guess I should still be tone then since I always was.

-={Mi5}=-][)warven

maybe something with the modem itself? 28.8Kb is 1000 years old :)

Same Problem with my bros Comp. Its something to do with the comp itself.

Im using the modem my brother used. And it works ok. But on my brothers comp it connects. I get the internet computer thing on taskbar, but no info is being transferred.

Its very strange. But that happened on my comp as well, and it was when i had AOL installed LMAO.

So basically Dwarven i have no clue and format her comp :P.

Mc

hmm,does it make those dial up noices? i think ur missing some driver components or sometihng. sure u got the right driver?

and yes, use tone.puls is out dated.

I would try :
-if its an internal modem, put it into a different slot
-try with a different ISP
-get the latest drivers

I have seen this b4, and it was due to the modem lead. Funnily enough not all modem leads are the same :/ If you are still using the lead from the old modem I would try the one from the new. If its not that then maybe you got a faulty lead, perhaps try the old lead on the new modem.

Thanx

Phear

Well the modem is a 56.6 and quite new so there shouldn't be any problem there with outdated leads actually. He does work on this comp which is a Dell computer and it's put into a god knows what computer now but well ain't working in tone it gives the dial tones but the line sort of won't listen to it or something.

-={Mi5}=-][)warven