Kryo II

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

C

Crazy Squirrel

Well my new PC should be built pretty soon which leaves my pIII 600 without a graphics card.

Now after reading benchmarks reviews etc. Seems the Kryo II is a better deal than an MX (budget about £100).
Gonna be used for gaming and video editing in conjunction with a pinnacle dv500.

From what i've heard the Kryo II cards release dates are at least another 2 weeks off? So I was thinking of using my old Banshee card till I can get one...

So Basically I got two weeks to decide which Kyro2 to go for, the Hurcules one or the other one. I'm not intrested in tv-out's etc. Not sure how significant the difference is between the 32mb and the 64mb is....

Advice needed :)

Re: Kryo II

bah, why the hell reply if you have nothing better to do than analyise someones posts.. wait, I am doing the same now..

I've heard good things about the Kyro, and MX. Personally, I would go with MX as I have seen how it performs compared to a GF2 GTS 32mb - and the differences are only at higher resolutions.

I don't know how either of you two possible choices work in 2D - which would be important I guess with video editing - just my 2p anyway - go with the MX :P

Go with the leading Force...

Go with ]BO[..err.. Nvidia i mean :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

Imagequality is better on the Kyro 2.
And it kicks the MX all over the place.

After reading about 10 reviews, I have a Hercules preordered and it should hit the shelves ,and my desk, in about 2 weeks.

Since monday a german onlineshop offers a "noname" 64MB Kyro2 +tv out for ~110 euro. It is believed though that the card is from Powercolor.
But since they made a NVidia only deal, they sell it under a different name.

Did any1 read the comments by Tim Sweeney on the KyroII and what followed.. pretty funny :lol:
Here's what got it going:
ps - What's your take on the kyro2 and tile based rendering?

Tim - It's a competent TNT2 class chip, and the sorting and alpha-testing artefacts of past generations seem to have been sorted out successfully. But, like every generation of PowerVR hardware before it, it's a day late and a dollar short. It lacks support for basic DirectX7 (yes, 7!) features like cube maps. The kyro developers are cool guys, so it pains me to say that this is just not a viable piece of hardware in the market it's trying to compete in.
1 person actually challenged him to a fist fight, in the comments following his view on the KyroII :lol: :rolleyes:

By all accounts the Kyro II is a better product if you don't use T&L, which atm who does?

I'd go with the Kyro II, my only worry would be how good their driver / driver support is.

Phear

How about a ATI Radeon card (DDR-Ram)? It performs pretty well and the price is not much higher than the Kyro (at least here in Germany).

Pretty decent performance, but crappy drivers in W9x and really really bad drivers in W2K.

hmmmm nice to hear bout the driver probs cause i am considering buying a radeon card (os: w2k). are there any special probs u discovered or what kind the driver probs are? (prolly a link or somethin).

thx...

Re: Radeon

Think i'll stick with the Kryo II, did anyone answer which model to get? The prophet4500 or the xs! one?

My Athlon Chip came today so I should be building my new computer over the weekend :) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is KryoII = Kryo128 or what?

I´m confused, since my dealer offers me a Kryo128, 64MB for around $70 :)

as for which model to get, I dunno :lol:
I get a Hercules because I',m too lazy to cancel the preorder, and I always wanted to have a blue card.

All the reviews online that I read are about the Hercules one.
I don't think that I'll be a big performance difference between the cards.