Hardware choice!?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

HDD it was a fault in the firmware that caused the hdd to not be recognized as a proper boot device at any given boot/reboot it was only from those manufactured before december 2008 like mine, it still lasted over 4 years fine but 1 morning out of the blue "please insert proper boot device" im like wtf :|

monitor i guess i was just unlucky it simply kept shutting off randomly checked and changed the power wire and all was fine, something inside it was obv. wrong it was my first and prolly my last samsung monitor

my first casing didnt fail per say but for a 1700$ rig i shoulda got more than a 60$ case i didnt think cooling would be an issue but i was simply wrong. with my bigass (for the time) gfx card it generated far too much heat and my computer would overheat and shut itself down in summer i just needed better fans/air circulation

for my gfx card? well i guess i play a lot of games at 1920x1080 and that stresses it a bit... didnt look it up yet to see if many people had the same issue with the card i got but I just assume that with the new and "powerfull" graphics card that are mini computers of their own (own processor fan and ram) their longevity is much reduced compared to cards 10 years ago that didnt generated as much heat and didnt have as many individual components

do you think im wrong to assume the lifespawn (in terms of technical failures, not just getting slow) of a "gaming computer" today is roughly 5 years?

Other than HDDs whiich can have such a short life depending on use and siting in a case I would expect other hardware to last a lot longer than 5 years.
Going by memory I think in the last 15 years I've replaced 1 monitor (capacitors leaked in PSU), 1 GFX card (fan failed), 1 PSU (wasnt cleaned out so I guess overheated).

Most faults I see with peoples systems is failure due to cheap parts or parts being pushed to acheive faster speeds. Personally I dont overclock anything anymore and when I pick parts I go as much for reliability as I do speed.