Earth Day / Earth Week / Greenpeace

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hardcore

(Taki)
Jun 8, 2001
Germany
To open this (even though I gotta admit, that I don't know too much about the whole topic) I would like to ask you to watch this:

Here is a link to youtube itself and the HQ version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVu9eawb1QY&fmt=18

And I would like to know what you think about
a) the video (especially if it encourages you to any action)
b) greenpeace itself
c) the earth day / week (do you participate / contribute / ... ? ).

Personally I am on the / a greenpeace mailing list and whenever they ask me to send a mail to a politician / sign a virtual petition / etc. and I agree, then I do take the time to do that. But like I said - not much more than that except for the daily life environmental friendly do's and don'ts. Especially the don'ts of course - of which I just commited one... sitting in front of the laptop at night letting the lightbulb heat up my room etc... :(

1) ya nice video, but it doesn't give any answers, the only thing i see is "horrible" pictures from large company's and greenpeace trying to block them

2) personally i think trying to stop certain things is good, but greenpeace is obviously going way to far on that. I mean you can be against whale hunting (which i am) but painting their ship or to make them impossible to go out to the sea is actually just theft. They are just to far left, and tbh manipulating processes from both left and right is (imo) just a crime! however left-winged groups seem to get away with it cause they are political correct, and "do the right thing for mankind" or something like that

don't get me wrong, i think we need to save energy, and whale hunting or overfishing is wrong, but greenpeace does loads of illegal things too like to block access of a airport. And instead of hanging on the christ statue (which could be an great offence to Christians, not for me btw, i thought that was more peaceful) isn't really helping either. Better come with solutions.

3) tbh i didn't even heard of earth/week or day. I already started years ago with saving the daily things, and now they become more of a habit for me, so every week is earth week for me :p

1. The video says something about the way Greenpeace takes actions in order to prevent mankind from doing horrible things, such as killing rare whales for food, killing baby seals for their fur and so on. It's good. Everyone knows greenpeace, so there's no reason to tell the viewer what they do, but rather how they do it.

2. I like greenpeace! I support amost everything they do. Nature and climate is one of the most important concerns for me as well. So every action taken, even if it is quite radical is something for a better cause. Especially the cruel animal hunting, and forest destroying are things that are unnecessary.

3. Well I support Greenpeace with their actions. My family including me donate money to WWF on a yearly base and when i'm dead i'm sure (if I have any money left) a part of it will go to world conservation.

1. The video says something about the way Greenpeace takes actions in order to prevent mankind from doing horrible things, such as killing rare whales for food, killing baby seals for their fur and so on. It's good. Everyone knows greenpeace, so there's no reason to tell the viewer what they do, but rather how they do it.

2. I like greenpeace! I support amost everything they do. Nature and climate is one of the most important concerns for me as well. So every action taken, even if it is quite radical is something for a better cause. Especially the cruel animal hunting, and forest destroying are things that are unnecessary.

3. Well I support Greenpeace with their actions. My family including me donate money to WWF on a yearly base and when i'm dead i'm sure (if I have any money left) a part of it will go to world conservation.
and how exactly is that gonna undo what china or usa r doing on the daily basis?

I don't see the point tbh. It's too late for the environment, or at least that part of it which humans and animals can be expected to survive in. Even if it wasn't, mankind would still be too dumb to do anything about it. It's fine to come up with all these initiatives and bright ideas, but it's like Lee Evans joked about - Las Vegas lit up like a Christmas Tree day and night, 365 days a year, yet his local council are trying to convince him that he can save the world by turning off the little light on the front of his TV.

I know people will say every little bit helps, but it only helps to slow it, not to stop it. People are too stupid for this kind of thing to work - they'll boil exactly enough water for one cup of tea because they think it will help save the planet, then they'll go and watch TV reruns for three hours on a big-screen because they're bored. The end message is: do what you want, it won't really make the slightest bit of difference. I agree with not killing whales, seals, etc., I don't like cruelty any more than anyone else with any soul. But that's nothing to do with saving the planet, that's just refraining from being a cunt.

I think human evolution and development and 'progress' are incompatible with the environment we've been given to live in. The planet will eventually (not too far off probably) beat us by letting us destroy ourselves, whether it's nuclear holocaust, solar radiation, lack of drinking water, swarms of killer midges or whatever. We Are Fucked, but by all means turn off your PC speakers before you go to bed, because at least then you'll have played a part in the most fruitless enterprise ever realised.

I don't see the point tbh. It's too late for the environment, or at least that part of it which humans and animals can be expected to survive in. Even if it wasn't, mankind would still be too dumb to do anything about it. It's fine to come up with all these initiatives and bright ideas, but it's like Lee Evans joked about - Las Vegas lit up like a Christmas Tree day and night, 365 days a year, yet his local council are trying to convince him that he can save the world by turning off the little light on the front of his TV.

I know people will say every little bit helps, but it only helps to slow it, not to stop it. People are too stupid for this kind of thing to work - they'll boil exactly enough water for one cup of tea because they think it will help save the planet, then they'll go and watch TV reruns for three hours on a big-screen because they're bored. The end message is: do what you want, it won't really make the slightest bit of difference. I agree with not killing whales, seals, etc., I don't like cruelty any more than anyone else with any soul. But that's nothing to do with saving the planet, that's just refraining from being a cunt.

I think human evolution and development and 'progress' are incompatible with the environment we've been given to live in. The planet will eventually (not too far off probably) beat us by letting us destroy ourselves, whether it's nuclear holocaust, solar radiation, lack of drinking water, swarms of killer midges or whatever. We Are Fucked, but by all means turn off your PC speakers before you go to bed, because at least then you'll have played a part in the most fruitless enterprise ever realised.

idd on telling us how he turns off the water while he washes his fkn teeth or such bs we should thinkon what we can save

On a positive note...I've only got a few years left on this planet, and the air quality will hold out untill that day at least. After that.....who cares??

Useless said true things.
Mankind will never every change anything. Because there are too many selfish fuckers, who wanna earn even more money and dont give a damn about fairness, earth or others.

Same goes for the financial crises. Now everyone cries, in a few years it'll be asif this crises never happened. England and USA will keep with their pervert financial nonsense,

Mankind is so dumb, selfish and lusty, they aint worth living at all imho :p

Last edited:
Useless said true things.
Mankind will never every change anything. Because there are too many selfish fuckers, who wanna earn even more money and dont give a damn about fairness, earth or others.
Mankind aint worth living at all imho :p

THere's a smart saying:

"Wenn der letzte Baum gefällt,
die letzte Frucht geerntet,
der letzte Fisch gefangen,
das letzte Tier erlegt ist -
dann werden die merken das man Geld nicht essen kann"

bur americans can do such wonderful dolarburgers:rofl:

- is the old "but if everyone contributes a bit" argument that weak? is industry that much worse?

- do we have that little influence on industry? ( -> if really almost everyone started to care!)

- and let's say that theory ("becoming active/aware doesn't make a difference") is true. would it still not give you peace of mind to act like a responsible person? instead of just ignoring it? for example your grand children... they might be really pissed about their granddad later, if they get to know that he didn't care about their future (which might be quite a harsh future to live in already?)

(no rhetorical questions by the way. i am really asking myself that stuff)

- i mean... it is not that hard actually:
"if we don't act, our children (and their children, ... ) are gonna have a really bad time. and everything might be over soon." this should lead us to the conclusion that we have to do something.

---> but the current consequence in thinking seems to be "well... I won't die from the shit going on, so I don't care"

wtf

and how exactly is that gonna undo what china or usa r doing on the daily basis?

well what greenpeace wants to achieve as well is making people aware and to affect their behavior when it comes to business/trade. that's a pretty tough thing to do imo. how would you do it, if you wanted to?

- is the old "but if everyone contributes a bit" argument that weak? is industry that much worse?

- do we have that little influence on industry? ( -> if really almost everyone started to care!)

- and let's say that theory ("becoming active/aware doesn't make a difference") is true. would it still not give you peace of mind to act like a responsible person? instead of just ignoring it? for example your grand children... they might be really pissed about their granddad later, if they get to know that he didn't care about their future (which might be quite a harsh future to live in already?)

(no rhetorical questions by the way. i am really asking myself that stuff)

- i mean... it is not that hard actually:
"if we don't act, our children (and their children, ... ) are gonna have a really bad time. and everything might be over soon." this should lead us to the conclusion that we have to do something.

---> but the current consequence in thinking seems to be "well... I won't die from the shit going on, so I don't care"

wtf

Yes, we do have that little influence on industry, if by 'we' you mean environmentalists. Industry isn't there for the good of mankind or the environment, it's there to make money. What industry chooses protecting the environment over making money? I can't think of one. Sure, they all have green action plans and all this bullshit, but only so they can tick that box and appear more compassionate to consumers. This attracts people who may otherwise have boycotted them, and it certainly doesn't drive anyone away. If you can recycle your office paper then why not do it? It won't lose you any money in the long run, and that's the point. Industry doesn't give a flying fuck about the environment, but they quite like selling stuff to those that do.

Environmentalists always go on about being part of the solution rather than part of the problem, which I think is what you mean with the peace of mind comment. But the way I see it, we don't owe it to future generations to do what we can for the environment. Past generations did owe it to us to allow us to come into a world not ravaged by pollution etc., but now the only thing we owe our kids (if we're dumb and selfish and shortsighted enough to have them) and the generations after us is an apology, since we've already fucked it into a cocked hat and now they'll have to deal with the mess we created. I'm not saying don't do anything for the environment, I'm just saying that if you do take that approach you won't get any criticism from me. With the best will in the world we can't undo what's been done, and I don't see enough people trying to anyway. At this point it's kind of like watching your house go up in flames around you, but still throwing a glass of water over your granny to stop her knitting catching fire for another four seconds. It's going up anyway, just a little later.

And the bit about not dying from the shit going on, I don't subscribe to that view either. I recycle my cans and bottles and so on, but I don't for one second think it'll do any good. I suppose I just do it because I might as well. What harm can it do. It's not even rational, but a part of me wants to be able to be a dick and say 'oo yes, I recycle' like that makes me a better, more worthy human being. Like I said, it just slows the deterioration down but doesn't halt it. I don't think anything can do that, unless it's the complete removal of the human race from this planet, and even then there's still all the ozone layer damage and radioactive sludge we'll be leaving behind. We don't deserve this place, not after the way we've treated it :emotionalmusic:

I think a lot of people take part in these help-the-environment things to try and make up for past mistakes for which it's already too late to atone. I dunno if they think it makes them appear more noble, as though maybe they're the small minority of humans who deserve to be spared when the planet finally tries to get rid of us, but if they do think that then they're only fooling themselves. Pick up all the litter you like, you'll still be just as likely to get poisoned by exhaust fumes in city air as someone who has never taken any interest in protecting the environment. You're not going to heaven any quicker. Nature doesn't care about you and no matter how much recycling you do it still won't be doing you any favours afterwards. Clearing up litter etc. is great if it means fewer hedgehogs die or whatever the rationale is, but that sort of thing is only done so that the individual can feel good about themselves. Besides, hedgehogs are cunts.

And excuse me for asking, but what the fucking hell is Earth Week? What shite is this? Does that mean that every other week of the year is by definition not Earth Week? In other words it's more acceptable to litter in those 51 weeks, just don't do it in Earth Week? Look, either do your bit for the environment or don't; just don't patronise us with this pish.

Environmentalists are just sticking their fingers in the dam, not because it'll do any good, but because when it collapses on them they get to be one of the people who can say 'at least we tried'. Yeah, you tried and you inevitably, irreversibly failed, gg. And for those people about to ask 'well, what's your solution then, you dickhead?', I don't have one and I don't even need to. There is no solution, it's too late for that, and that's what I've been trying to say.

Disclaimer: this is not aimed at anyone here specifically, it's just a general soapbox rant. No offense meant to those of differing opinions, I just hate it when people find something to turn into a cause célebre and then use it like some sort of guiltstick. Arg!

Why not give it a shot though? Why not try and make a difference? I mean, we've now come to terms with what we're doing to the enviroment, right? We know we have to change, it's the only way forward.

Why roll over and - with a lack of a better word - die? Why give up before even trying? Of course we'll all fail if the majority of the human population thinks the way you Useless and others do.

Give humanity a chance to change, don't give up all hope just yet.

Jup @ Maxis.

And this @ Useless:

I can totally see where you are coming from. And please note that I am not even an 'environmentalist'. The whole thing just made me think, which is why am asking these questions.

> Yes, we do have that little influence on industry, if by 'we' you mean environmentalists.
Well yes, of course. But by 'we' I meant as many people as possible -> everyone who buys things... (for example if greenpeace had already reached the minds of 'everyone').

> What industry chooes protecting the environment over making money?
In the long run this doesn't have to be a choice you know? There might be a day when you can save ( '=' earn ) a shitload of money if you save energy. And you can earn another shitload if for green reasons your products become 10% more attractive to people (one day and maybe).

> Industry doesn't give a flying fuck about the environment,
> but they quite like selling stuff to those that do.

Well those are not the environmentalists tho. Those are people who want have peace of mind but don't know what really counts. Maybe I am one of them. And greenpeace can teach me something. That's a good thing, I'd say.

Environmentalists always go on about being part of the solution rather than part of the problem, which I think is what you mean with the peace of mind comment. But the way I see it, we don't owe it to future generations to do what we can for the environment. Past generations did owe it to us to allow us to come into a world not ravaged by pollution etc., but now the only thing we owe our kids (if we're dumb and selfish and shortsighted enough to have them) and the generations after us is an apology, since we've already fucked it into a cocked hat and now they'll have to deal with the mess we created.
I think that is faaar too easy.
- You are saying that past generations failed at preserving our present. So how can you say you want to turn away now? Why not learn from past mistakes? Past generations didn't even really know about the effects of their actions. We do. Why ignore that? That would make us a lot more guilty than the past generations.
- Your life is not over yet. What you will have created for your kids at the end of the day is not yet determined.
- How can I just apologize for something I didn't even do myself - and at the same time leave the problem untouched PLUS not apologize for exactly that??
- Don't get me wrong... I know that what you say makes sense! And most people sit on their bum thinking that way, being too lazy to act because their actions don't affect them themselves. (And again - this is just me thinking! I am not saying that I already got my ass up either! I am not saying that I buy the expensive but environmentally friendly stuff 24/7.
- But maybe I should start doing so, start making other people do the same and start watching prices drop?
- "It's not your fault, that the world is what it is - it's just your fault if it doesn't change"

> We don't deserve this place, not after the way we've treated it
You didn't have much time to treat it yet... You still have a few years left. That's the point. It does make sense to act now, because ->

> Clearing up litter etc. is great if it means fewer hedgehogs
> die or whatever the rationale is, but that sort of thing is only
> done so that the individual can feel good about themselves.

... because if everyone started helping (again - which does not mean to give up personal freedom or whatever...) - and let it be because they want to feel good about themselves - one could see an effect. Old rationale but the logic is fine I think. Just hard to achieve. But would be great to achieve.

And excuse me for asking, but what the fucking hell is Earth Week? What shite is this? Does that mean that every other week of the year is by definition not Earth Week? In other words it's more acceptable to litter in those 51 weeks, just don't do it in Earth Week? Look, either do your bit for the environment or don't; just don't patronise us with this pish.
If you got spammed with "your planet is valuable" every day... what would happen? Nothing.
If a few people pick a few days to remind a lot more people about that matter, then a few of those many might come to think. Things might change. Some are harder to convice and some make up their own minds.
So to answer your question: This 'shite' is what you make of it. Hopefully something.

> There is no solution, it's too late for that, and that's what
> I've been trying to say.
Well you made that very clear :nod: :D
But imo it is not that bad, yet.

Lemme close this posting.
I totally get the house on fire picture as well, but i think, not the whole house is burning yet. And I think we have a few buckets of water. They are just hard to lift.

Why not give it a shot though? Why not try and make a difference? I mean, we've now come to terms with what we're doing to the enviroment, right? We know we have to change, it's the only way forward.

Why roll over and - with a lack of a better word - die? Why give up before even trying? Of course we'll all fail if the majority of the human population thinks the way you Useless and others do.

Give humanity a chance to change, don't give up all hope just yet.

Sigh. I've been trying to point out that there isn't a way forward. That's my entire argument which you've now completely ignored by just restating the question. Nice one Max.

Sigh. I've been trying to point out that there isn't a way forward. That's my entire argument which you've now completely ignored by just restating the question. Nice one Max.
I didn't read your posts, not the big one anyway. I was baffled by your first one and I just assume you said pretty much the same thing in both :lol:

Again though, no way forward? Why not? :fingers:

Well i have to agree mainly with useless tbh, only the thing i doubt about is that we already fucked up and on a path of no return. I don't think we have to much influence on the environment as we think we have, there is going to be another ice time sooner or later, even if we pollute more then ever

Otherwise he is right i think, company's only "care" about environment because they want to make money with it. Every compliance system is there to either avoid risks (which costs money), because it's a requirement or to make money. In this case having a green image helps in getting more money. that's why they do it. not because they want too. Though if there are enough costumers willing to pay for green products it will of course help the environment too.

The question; "Do company's have compliance systems to really help the environment, because they think it's better" can simply answered with NO (some exceptions might be there off course).

Company's will just follow the rules at the most cheapest way and don't want to much hassle. They do just enough to get a green label/image to make sure they are political correct which will make sure they can earn some extra money.

Oh and maxiz, if you can't care about reading long posts, like useless one. just read the first and last sentence of every paragraph, then you capture about 90% of the info. Assuming the poster knows how to build up paragraphs, which useless surprisingly seems to have. :P

Even if you think that there isn't necessarily a way forward, you're a faggot for giving up.