Driver issue?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

DaTeL

=]DoG[=Food
Oct 23, 2002
Holland
Driver issue? Solved!

EDIT: Issue has been resolved, thanks for everyone's effort! :)

Ok so I just installed Win7 pro x64... on my Laptop:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eGZkqNjo4KtJ4d9f&content=specifications

I'm looking for decent drivers... without success (the disc that came with the purchase is win vista stuff)
First... I cannot find a mobo driver :S
Second.. nVidia doesn't provide drivers for my gfx card (http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9650m_gt_us.html)

When I installed "195.62_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql" it's messy... random pixelated noise builds up on the dsplay and once every 5 minutes I get this error (see attachment)
(source = http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook_winvista_win7_x64_195.62_whql_uk.html note that it does indeed contain my gfx card on 'supported products')

help is very welcome :x

ps. yesterday this issue was not evident on Win Vista x64... which is why i conclude it's a driver issue?

edit: oh and after a while it'll completely stop functioning (first extremely messy gfx, then 10s later a black screen)
edit2: hmm ok a manual search on Asus does give a list of drivers.. but I have no clue which one would be for my chipset/mobo in general....
(can't link it properly) http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
edit3: apparently... asus provides a different file for gfx-driver installation, lets give it a try :)

Attachments

• issue.png
    issue.png
    8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Did u upgrade to Win7 or do a fresh installation?

Is it definitely asking for a mobo driver in Dev Manager? I've always found Win7 to have mobo drivers straight out the box even with laptops that have been re-installed..

There is a GFX driver on the Asus download site, not able to hotlink due to stupid CAPTCHA (who the hell captchas their driver website?????), have you tried it rather than the one from nVidia?

Code:
 VGA (1) 

Version V8.15.11.8619

Description 	nVidia Graphics Driver
nVidia Graphics Driver for Win7 64 bit
File Size 	92.99 (MBytes) 	2009/09/07 update
Download from 	Global (DLM) Global China P2P

Have you tried reinstalling Win7 to see if you still get the errors with it shutting down after the black screen etc?

I would imagine the reason you're getting the error message is that it's the incorrect/incompatible driver? Try removing all the nVidia shit and seeing if it still happens?

Have you installed any other software after the drivers?
Any anti virus software?

I found that a couple of AV software seriously fuck up drivers, Kaspersky seems to dislike the audio driver on some Biostar motherboards for example

Last edited:
It's a fresh Win 7 install

Haven't installed AV software... and removed/reinstalled (Computer -> Device Manager -> Uninstall(+tick 'Delete files')) the gfx driver several times with the same (faulty) result..
installing this driver was basically the first thing I did after installing the OS
I'm not sure if I need a mobo driver... but it says in Windows' Device Manager under 'other devices':
"Base System Device" twice... no clue what exactly that means

the gfx behavior described above is with the driver from the nVidia website
dunno the version... forgot to write it down

when i use the driver from the ASUS website, I get less pixel-noise, it never displays the error message, but it hangs sooner :/
Driver Provider = NVIDIA
Driver Date = 11-6-2009
Driver Version = 8.15.11.8619
Digital Signer = Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

edit:
I haven't tried installing Win7 a second time yet... and hope it won't be necessary :P

edit2:
Think I'm going to reinstall Win 7... then first 'windows update' before installing any drivers :x and hope it'll work out
(feck... another 2+ hours wasted)

Last edited:
thnx for feedback so far

Hmm ok just reinstalled Win 7 (fresh again)... and it gives me an optional Windows Update with:
Code:
nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT
Download size: 84,4 MB
nVidia Display software update released in July, 2009

More information: 
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20282048

so now I have 4 options....
  1. Asus drivers
  2. nVidia Drivers
  3. Pinny's option
  4. Windows Update Software

any tips before trying any? (I don't know if I can truly remove any of them once I try)

ahrg.... that didn't come up for me on google nor asus website :X
but thnx for finding that :) I'll get right on it

edit: whoohoo, it worked! :) (after getting a bit afraid of it being broken, and then realizing I had to set some SATA stuff to 'Compatible' again :P)
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hmm not sure if things are fixed :P

When I run UT (using Timo's single-core affinity executables)... it'll display some annoying horizontal lines...
What's worse, is that when I tab out of UT, and then return to it.... it'll be way messy (see attachment)

Relevant Installed stuff:
Win 7 x64
gfx Drivers (again tried several)
DirectX 11
UT + improved OpenGlDrv.dll + settings that used to work fine (edit2: same happens if I remove UT.ini and User.ini to let UT make new/default ones)

edit: oh ... in D3D this doesnt happen, but we all know D3D sucks :P

Attachments

• issues.png
    issues.png
    879.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
i got the same problem with that on Win7. I've just got used to not mimising UT to do other stuff... :p:

Tho a fix would be rather nice :D

Awesome that fixed the completely-messed thingy! :)

Now for the horizontal lines/splits (looks just like it's 2 frames cut off halfway)... I'm thinking maybe it's because in "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution" -> Advanced Settings -> [tab]Monitor
it says 59 Hertz... and if I put it on 60, it'll just pop right back to 59

Although the split-lines still show up if I run at true 60Hz (or 75Hz) at a lower resolution (1440x900 laptop native, 1680x1050 monitor native)

edit: But... with the previous glitches fixed, I'll try some other drivers for these lines :P
edit2: some more google it seems the nVidia drivers dont have this 59Hz issue (using Win Update driver atm)... tomorrow I'll find out if it helps for UT

Last edited:
turn off vert sync

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=60
UseGammaExtension=True
UseModulatedGamma=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxTMUnits=0
LODBias=-0.10
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=true
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePrecache=False
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
ZRangeHack=True
UseTrilinear=True
OneXBlending=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
SwapInterval=-1
FrameRateLimit=60
UseAA=False
NumAASamples=4
AAFilterHint=0
NoAATiles=True
MaxAnisotropy=4
NoFiltering=False
Use16BitTextures=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
UseVertexProgram=False
UseZTrick=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
BufferClippedActorTris=False
BufferTileQuads=True
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
DescFlags=0

those settings are for hires tex

Hmm that's exactly what I had :P I'm getting a fresh (different) UT first... was kinda messy before :P

edit:
new /different UT install fixed the horizontal tears as well :cool: now how to get LAS working offline :x (it shows it in the menu, but it wont actually start it)
e.g. books in Golgoth still appear, mortar in overlord is very frequent and deadly, etc

edit2: fixed with an install of the LAS server files

Last edited: