Does uta host new clan forums?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

AnTi

Ðøgø
Aug 28, 2002
Poland
? Ive read some time ago that uta will be able to host a few clan forums, and in fact uta hosted only 1 or 2.. do you still host forums for clans? Im wondering if [Nil] could get one..

I'll put this as a request aswell if there's a possibility getting a forum too for wKd proas squad :)

Reactions: deadly
Well some admin could let us know..

@ Masterrr, it was kinda long time age and uta did hosted new forums, for example SpR and DoG has one :p:
@ Dirz PaC have forums here :P

Attachments

• bez tytułu.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
TBH I think a condition of having a hosted forum is to be in the league. Removing those 'defunct' forums would easily free up enough resources to have new forums, resources being the seemingly only factor in stopping someone opening a new forum.

Yep, we did an announcement quite a few months ago saying we had 5 new clan forums to add. I think we only had 3 clans apply.

Miner said:
TBH I think a condition of having a hosted forum is to be in the league. Removing those 'defunct' forums would easily free up enough resources to have new forums, resources being the seemingly only factor in stopping someone opening a new forum.
The main resource is bandwidth. Archived forums do not generate many page views. The more active clan forums, the more activity and bandwidth transfer, so as long as we keep an eye on that it's ok.

More info for interested people here: http://stats.fraghub.net/

salty = forums/irc server
pie = league site/irc server

Martz said:
Yep, we did an announcement quite a few months ago saying we had 5 new clan forums to add. I think we only had 3 clans apply.

I sent a PM about this to CS, but that PM was never readed, and it was looong time ago 31-10-2003 :o
So if you had 5 and only 3 apply, any chance to get one for us then ?

Masterrr said:
kan would like to have one :p:
would be awesome
if you would stop spamming 100+ posts in our forum every day there would be some bandwith for a new clanforum i guess :P

As Martz mentions above active clans = active page hits = more bandwidth usage..
Salty, our forums server is allowed 100GB/month in 95th percentile..
95th percentile is a so called "fair" way of calculating the bandwidth usage, taking peaks into consideration..
It works by taking for an example, a day of 5 min average readings, sorting them by highest bandwidth first, taking out the top 5% of the readings.. The next reading then is the 95th percentile, and you are expected to use that amount of bandwidth constantly the whole day..
As you can see on the graphs at http://stats.fraghub.net, Salty has at the time of this post 0.25mbit/sec 95th percentile..
One month with 100GB allowed bandwidth translates into ~0.32mbit/sec, so with the usage of 0.25mbit/sec at the moment, we are not far from the 0.32mbit/sec...
I also expect the opening of the new league (which also will be hosted on this server) to generate more bandwidth, so we are already pretty much at the limit..

mhhh, maybe RES can overwork their forum and give some Clans some Subforums aswell, but i dont know if that works well with many Clans, so i´ll have to talk to our forum admin first.

IMO shutting down some public forums would decrease bandwidth a bit maybe, so more clans could get private boards. (UKS would like our private board back if possible, i doubt itll produce much bandwith)

I dunno as in how big an extent of the vb code can be altered and who could be arsed, but i guess as with any projects of this size, overworking the code could considerably reduce the page sizes, too.

attachments could be added as links (pics)

sobo said:
I dunno as in how big an extent of the vb code can be altered and who could be arsed, but i guess as with any projects of this size, overworking the code could considerably reduce the page sizes, too.

I doubt it.. First of all the vB code is huge, and not just something you go around changing.. I highly doubt you can optimize pages more without decreasing page content/quality, and pages are also already gzip compressed

sobo said:
attachments could be added as links (pics)

That is also something that would make pages less enjoyable looking at.. just imagine something like garfield thread with links everywhere, heh