Distributed Computing

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hrmm, there are some schedule things - could you not set it too a big chunk of data, and then spend all night processing it? This way it shouldn't be finishished by the time you wake up ni the morning, and you can keep an eye on the line.

Just a thought :)

set windows to disconnect automatically after a certain period of inactivity on the computer with the modem . That option is in control panel/internet options/connections

I think wingate uses windows DUN so that should work fine :)

I would have thought points are computer dependent, more points for completing a unit on a machine rated 30 than a machine rated 90.

no idea what there used for tho :confused:

Points I read are allocated off a number of things... Length speant on task.. Number of "Hits", and also Size of task completed

Mostly it is luck of the draw

Tim

Hmmm sounds like crap to me, I ran a unit through my 200Mhz server (which it rated as a whoooping 13), took it 28 hrs and gained 10 points more for it than my PC did to do a unit in 1h 50 mins. errr yeah ok :lol:

Size?

lo... I have a few computers I can put to this but there is two problems......

Im on a 56k modem, how big are the normal chunks of data it downloads in one go?

Also everything goes thro a linux server.... i can set it to dial on demand but as I have one phone line i would prefer to keep it using the current method, which is in order to connect i have 2 visit a local webpage whioch makes it dial out..... is there any option that would allow this? ie. run this when connection needed etc?

Thx

PyROm

You can configured your devices so that they only run when you want, on a schedule, and also there is a proxy option if thats your method of connecting to your linux machine.

I'm on 56k as well, and you can state this on the website in your options, I assume so that the blocks are easier to download.

UD

Well im signed up now n processin........ only got 3 mid range machines tho........ does that mean that i get more points for completed untis? lol...... btw what does it mean when u get a hit?

DU

Just stepped into bedroom......... and melted, think i will be sleeping with windows open!!.... hmmm, 800w`s worth of PSU in a room, which have been runnin for 4 hours!