Cheap UT2K4

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Amazeing

439 DKr for the SE in boomtown shop just a shame I can't finish the order and it gives an error :(

439 DKr => 36ish £

munkZ said:
Gotta love those spec they quote (i kid u not):
System requirements
Pentium III or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz or greater processor
28 MB RAM
Any Windows-compatible videocard
3.5 GB hard drive space
CD-ROM drive and DVD required for video modules
wow, just p3-1G, 28M, and *any* windowscompatible. amazing. SE must really be something. And hotdamn, sounds like i only need a cdrom if i want to watch the videos.
I got 1.46G Athlon (palomino), 512M, radeon9100 (64M), and from the demo i'd be pressed to rate it worth playing (though technically playable - i.e. it works) on large maps or >3player firefight, in 800x600 with details toned down.
By comparison, official 2k4 specs: http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/specs.php
That dvdsite conveniently removed all of the 'recommended' values, which for years have been the defacto minimun specs for getting a enjoyable experience instead of a infuriating slideshow. Sidenote: the spec is quoting 2gigs hd space *less* required than the official number and the 28megs is obviously a typo.
While im at the ranting, i bet it could run on a pentium or pentium2, 64,96 or 128 megs ram, and any old isa-bus vga card with software rendering, provided u have a large enough harddisk in a old box like that. It'd run, but im not saying it'd be fast. And if u dont have a harddisk that size, there is still hope if u can map a network drive to a larger box that hosts the files.
Bla bla bla, everything stinks, i hate you all, etc... Humph for UTA prezident!

Reactions: Apoc
Largo the specs page has been changed/updated, it now read amongst the rest this:

Video: Any Windows-compatible video card(NVIDIA GeForce 2 or ATI Radeon with at least 64 megs of video memory recommended)

HAHAHAHA the man who wrote that is prolly a stand-up comedian

HAHAHAHA the man who wrote that is prolly a stand-up comedian

Why so? Ut2004 is MASSIVELY cpu limited. It depends alot more on your CPU than it does on your video card. I'd recommend a Direct X 8 class video card at least, but only because these cards have hardware vertex shaders so they can take more laod off the CPU.

To be fair, as long as you had a FAST cpu, using one of those vieo card probabaly wouldnt be that slow.

For example, i use a 2.2GHz Athlon and a 9700 pro, but i can enable FSAA 4x + AF 16x and lose no FPS at all, even a 2.2GHz Athlon isnt enought for this game. Anything Direct X 8 is fine, just worry about your CPU if i was you. Anything below 1.5GHz will probabaly be next to unplayable (useless you use uber low detail).

munkZ said:
http://www.dvdboxoffice.com

£39.99 delivered, takes between 5 and 7 working days from Canada to UK, dunno about rest of Europe

It wont be £39.99 to the UK,

The game itself might be 39.99, but you havent accounted for anything else. Liek VAT, import duty and poassible admin fees.

When you get the game in the UK, you'll be charged VAT at 17.5%, then import duty/tax which varies from about 5-15%, but lets just say 7%, and then its possible you'll get charged an admin fee by royal mail for getting your item though customs (and if they do, this will be another £10).

So this is how much it will REALLY cost.

39.99 - game
7.00 - VAT
2.80 - import duty

Total - £49.79 (or £59.79 if royal mail do you an admin fee).

Considering you can order the SE game in the UK for £50, you might as well just get ripped off that way, at least you'll get it faster.

That graphics card will run the game, and possibly very smoothly, although not very pretty. As has been said, the game itself is very cpu dependant, that's why the added software rendering by default this time. For PC's which normally have a very fast CPU and a very slow GPU.
Orginally said by CliffyB
It just kills me everytime I'm on airplane and I see someone whip out a $3000 laptop and then play Solitaire

ut2k3 ran fine off a little 2nd machine i built last year (duron 1ghz, gf2 mx) seemed pretty steady 30-40fps at low res