CD and DVD Drive issues

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

RighteousFury

Davion Assault Guard
May 3, 2003
Germany
I play some very old games recently since i discovered the use of DOSBox. Now i tried one, that actualy comes with a CD already ;) (german game, no1 would know it anyways... )

Installation worked fine (full: 19mb!) but since midi sound sucked it comes with 2 audio-CDs for the music.

Now the problem is: when i run it on my f: drive (some rather new double layer dvd writer) it wont start. If i use an older drive (normal cd writer) it does run, however without the music from the audio-cd, due to no audio-cable (yes i know under XP i dont need one, but i aint got XP)

The surface of the CD is actualy in rather good shape considering its age (13 years) so that shouldnt be the problem.

Any ideas, why that stupid actualy "should be better" drive wont take the CD ingame? Under windows it actualy reads it and i can browse it and even install the game without errors (and run it on the other drive then)...

Believe it or not. but many older ones have a way better recogization than newer ones.

I got an CD, that can be only read with my old 24x CD drive. All other newer DVD-drives i got, have atleast problems with that media.

Yeah that actualy makes some sense... too stupid (old) to complain about certain problems :D

Unfortunatly the drive, the game works on, is so bloody loud, that it would more or less ruin any game experience even if id reconnect that audio-cable to that drive (and that would mean unplugging half of the other cables and drives to reach it ffs) :(

Yeah i think DOSBox can mount CUE/BINs as virtual drives, so that would prolly work if i had any image creating software...

Yeah i think DOSBox can mount CUE/BINs as virtual drives, so that would prolly work if i had any image creating software...
hint, check http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?t=59165, hint

You can create any image format with ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/).

And even if Dosbox cant handle images, there's also a way with mounting proggies (Deamon tools).
The mounted image is then showed in windows like a normal drive with its own drive-ID.
This drive-ID can be mounted in DosBox. Voilà

Last edited:
Last edited:
I used something called magicISO or something and created a CUE/BIN image. DOSBox was easily able to mount that.

Unfortunatly it seems that mouting 2 700MB Images (2 audio CDs), playing Audiotracks, emulating a SB16 for the Sound Effects AND running the game is a bit too much for poor little DOSBox :rofl:
Had to allow frameskip to actualy make the game run more or less smooth and the music to be played without lag...

Just came by to say Hi :wave:... /me infracts Bart.
I once played with the old DOS CD's... use the tool that Hardcore showed, to slow down your reader, worked for me.
Allthough my problem contained speed, not sound. but worth a shot imo.