ATI2DVAG Infinite loop error

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

killerdude

Jan 29, 2005
Hi guys,

I need help

On ts ppl were telling me that they didn't hear me well, so i tried to fix it.

i have 2 sound cards, my onboard card is always disable becuz it can't record window sound.

to fix the problem i tried many things :boosting my mic sound to the max, testing my hardware,
i also tried to enable my onboard card but when i tried to reboot it didn't work.

at that time, it seem like my pc wasn't even able to shutdown before rebooting and since i was signed to a pug i decided to turn off my pc manually.

After that time every time i boot i get the blue screen with the "ATI2DVAG" infinite loop error

The only way for me to boot my pc is by removing the ATI driver in "safe mode" , after removing the driver i can boot in normal window mod and if i go to system>hardware>device manager i see a ? to the Video controller (VGA Compatible)

i tried almost everything to fix the problem :

-Updating my BIOS
-Installing ATI driver from the Original CD
-Installing latest ATI driver from the ati website
-Removing my Video card to remove the dust on my card's fan
From google :
- http://www.sightsea.com/pghpchd/pages/infinite_loop.html
- http://www.toolsbysk.com/skforums/forum/Blah.pl?m-1267865232

The Installation of the latest driver worked but i get a strange warning :
___________________________________________________________________________________
Report logs :
Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
07/16/10 17:15:07

Hardware information
Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x9400
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x3142
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002
Other hardware

Existing packagesMicrosoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable

Packages for install
Catalyst Control CenterFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2010.0527.1242.20909
Size: 150 Mbytes
ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.778.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
ATI Display DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.741.0.0000
Size: 40 Mbytes
The Lord of the Rings FREE Trial Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 1.00.0000
Size: 1 Mbytes
Communication Opt-inFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.00.0000
Size: 1 Mbytes

Other detected devices
Azalia (R600)
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0xaa00
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa00
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002

Error messages
___________________________________________________________________________________
and if i'm trying ty open the Catalyst control center i get that error :

The worst part:

Formatting and reinstalling window didn't work but also everytime i boot i see thoses strange pixel on my screen (it's not suppose to look like a zebra...) :

i bought this video card about 2 years ago(i had to change my power supply to make it work) and everything worked well until that error...

The only solution i can think of is trying a Geforce card to see if it's relate to my ATI but i will need to buy a new card...

But i'm about to give up...i dunno what trigger the error mb a virus i got from the web

Spec :

DELL Dimension 9150
Win XP version 2002 with SP 2 (updating to SP3 didn't work either)
Pentium D CPU 2.8Ghz
3 GB of RAM
ATI HD RADEON 2900 XT sapphire
My Drive C is for windows and MP3 and D for everything else

Last edited:
Unlikely to be software if youve already formatted and reinstalled

The bios and XP startup screen artifacts would suggest to me that the graphics card is on the way out, ATI2DVAG error would tend to confirm that, the fact youve cleaned the heatsink would rule out heat issue which could be another cause.

Its possible reseating the gfx card will help, but a long shot

edit: sapphire cards usuaully have a 2 year warranty, so if you do buy a new card you could get your old one replaced (older cards usually arent repaired, just replaced with similar current model) and then sold when returned to help finance the new card

Last edited:
i have notive that the fan of my video has been making more noise than usual in the past 3-4 months.

A week ago i bought a KVM switch but i don't think it's related to my problem.

To fix the error i bought a new Geforce card (100 can$) and everything is working perfectly even though my new card is not as powerfull as my old one :(.

Thx for the reply guys.

I just had this error last night when trying to load Burnout: Paradise. Turns out it had something to do with multi-threading and / or being connected to the internet when a Steam-type game tries to check the connection. Dunno if any of this is pertinent to your problem, kd, but I saw a switch fix on a forum somewhere - I added this to the shortcut on my desktop:

"C:\Games\Burnout\BurnoutLauncher.exe" -applaunch 24740 -multithread